“Nice place and good value” 4 of 5 stars

Paulina Youth Hostel
Trujano 321 esquina Diaz Ordaz | Centro Historico, Oaxaca, Mexico   |
Ranked #17 of 88 Specialty Lodging in Oaxaca
Vancouver, Canada
“Nice place and good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The place is clean, the breakfasts are pretty good and has free internet access all for a very low cost. There is also a rooftop area where you can get a 360 view of the city. Purchase beer at the front desk fridge and drink those beers on the rooftop after a long day of walking around the city. The staff barely spoke English but we did not have a problem. The only thing I would recommend is to avoid staying on the ground floor where you will be woken by the hustle and bustle of the city early and found it hard to sleep past 6 am.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Liberia, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Really clean but nothing more. Atmosphere like in an hospital.
I was really disappointed because the guy at the reception sold me a tour for two times the normal price. I asked him if it was the cheapest but he probably preferred to receive his commission. I personnaly hate this way of doing business.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at Hostal Paulina for four nights in December. Our room was very clean, though spartan (they could use mattresses and pillows!). The facility itself was very nice, and the breakfasts that are included are hearty and delicious, making it a real bargain. Be sure to go up to the roof for great views and sunshine. It's located just four blocks from the Zocolo and short walking distance to all the major sites. The staff speak some English and are polite. They let me use their phone several times after we were robbed (Stay away from the Cerro Fortin area! Armed men have an eye for tourists).

Room Tip: Ask for a room father away from the street - there is some traffic noise. The 2nd or 3rd floor may...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hradec Kralove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

It is located near the centre, the stuff is ok, though I don't know if they speak English. The breakfast is very good and quite generous.The place is very nice (the female dormitory I stayed in was spacious and there was enough natural light) and generally very clean, bathrooms included. The only problem I experienced was the hot water - it was only lukewarm in the bathroom on the first floor, I tried all the showers. Finally, I found one with hot water in the bathroom on the ground floor (it's the one on the left;)).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Guanajuato, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Centrally located and very clean, this hostel had its pros and cons. Pros included: nice location, roomy private room, great breakfast and nice rooftop to take in the view. Cons included: no private bathroom or tv, noisy on the street level, no kitchen or refrigerator access.

There are plenty of hotels in the area, and maybe you can get more for your money somewhere else. For first time visitors to the city, my husband and I were quite happy with the accommodations. In the future,

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Wow, I just read the reviews for this hostel, and I needed to check the adress. Are we talking about the same place?! We really liked it here! Me and my boyfriend got a dorm for ourselves, paied 350 MXN. Of course as a cuple there is no double beds, but we didnt mind. The price was quite cheap compare to other places we asked for a private room (500 MXN a night). Basic room, yes. But there is drawers with lock, and hangers for your clothes. We stayed in room number 10. The window is towards the street, but we had no problems with noice at all! I thought we would, but no. And the beds, the beds are sooo comfortable!! There is hot shower, just remember you must wait a while!

It is very clean, very complete. Nice little garden for you to view. Social room with sofa and computer. The wifi works in the rooms as well.

The breakfast was so good! The kind of eggs you wanted, toasted bread, creal, coffe or tea. Butter and marmelade. Yes, I was really suprised over the breakfast. The last night we were taking the nightbus to Puerto Escondido, but payed for the room that extra night. Then the receptionist offed to make us a lunch pack for the busride, since we couldnt have breakfast the next day. Really nice gesture! We got one sandwich, an orange and a bottle of water each.

It is also runned very profesional. You get a receipt when you pay the room. Also breakfast tickets.

Overall we would come back! The location is perfect, you are in the middle of the city center!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I stayed in this hostel by the end of September and had the worst experience ever. My things got stolen from the locker room and the staff was terrible while looking for help, they just kept saying that the were not responsible and nothing could be done. I had the fortune to see the hostel administrator, and he "ordered" the staff to start an inquireabout this, still useless as they didn't care much. They didn't even wanted to help us by saying where the local police station was. Till now, nothing from them, they don't care and they don't answer to emails. The worst place ever, try to avoid it, you will experience a real nightmare with them. It seems I'm not the first one that had being stolen. I'm positive that it was the same staff that steal my things.

Room Tip: nothing, don't stay here
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Paulina Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!