“Humming birds and breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Posada de Chencho

Posada de Chencho
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Posada de Chencho
You added Posada de Chencho to your Saves list
115 4a Privada de la Noria, Oaxaca, Mexico   |
Ranked #38 of 110 Hotels in Oaxaca
st albans
“Humming birds and breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

If you like comfy rooms looking out onto a courtyard paradise of guava trees and birds then you'll adore this place. Fabulous Oaxacan breakfasts (all 5 days a different dish), caring staff (insisted on us taking their sombreros with us on hot days) and tremendously good value. Oh, and for me the perfect walking distance to the Zocalo (just far enough to get up an appetite / walk off the excesses)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

After many years' absence, we returned to Oaxaca in November 2011, staying nearly 3 weeks at Posada de Chencho. We still love it! Located in a safe, quiet, working-middle class neighborhood, an interesting 12-15 minute walk to the zocalo, the posada has comfortable rooms, great beds/pillows, full sized, fluffy bath towels, good room fans, a lovely garden (dinner plate sized poinsiettas, geraniums, bird of paradise, impatiens, lime trees, etc), good password protected WIFI, a nicely decorated reading/TV room. The place is very secure; staff who are not family have been there forever. We like being away from the zocalo a bit; performances there are being amplified to levels that can be heard blocks away. Besides walking, you can take a taxi to the zocalo or catch a bus that will get you within a few blocks. Breakfasts (included) are superb! In 17 days, the kitchen duplicated the main breakfast dish only twice! Breakfast includes fresh squeezed orange juice, freshly cut fruit, a basket of assorted Mexican breads, tortillas if appropriate to the main dish (enchiladas, entomatados, chilaquiles, etc), coffee or tea, and hot chocolate. Try the chocolate with water, instead of milk. Chencho is as affable as ever, assisted by two of his children, Flora and Tonio. Chencho's remains our home away from home whenever we are in Oaxaca!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2006

I was at the Posada del Chencho for 13 nights in August. My room, # 23, was very pretty and kept spotlessly clean. The staff - all members of the family - were always friendly. I was able to negotiate a reduced rate. The owner is a true gentleman who happens to speak perfect English.

Breakfast, included in the room rate, was different and delicious each day. Other meals were available with advance notice but, as Oaxaca is know for its great food, I wanted to try as many resturants as possible. On one night it was raining too hard to go out for dinner. The owner offerred me sandwiches and hot chocolate - very delicious.

The hotel is a several block walk to the center of town. This was good for burning off the calories. And the area seemed very safe to me. There is a neighborhood dog that tended to bark but where in Mexico is that not the case.

• Liked — the charming garden
  • Disliked — the barking dog next door
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for a discount and for a free breakfast
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2006

My Mom and I stayed at Chencho's in July 2006, and we were both delighted with its charm. The owner and his staff were happy to answer any questions, arrange side trips, and generally make sure our stay was an enjoyable one. About half of the staff knew English.

The rooms are painted with interesting colors and have en suite bathrooms. They had fans rather than AC, but the climate was lovely and we never needed the fans. Beds and pillows were on the firm side. Everything was very clean.

Rooms are on the perimeter of a pretty courtyard garden, with nice tables outside for reading or chatting. There is also a comfy lounge with books, stereo and video/tv.

Breakfast was always excellent, featuring a different fresh fruit each day, fresh OJ, sweet rolls or toast, and a local dish like tortillas in mole (I don't know how to do the accent on mole, but it's the sauce, not the animal). They will make eggs and bacon on request and my Mom was a particular fan of the crispy bacon. Hot drinks were also good (chocolate, tea, or coffee with a hint of cinnamon).

Chencho's is about a 15 minute walk from either the Zocalo or Santa Domingo Church (both good destinations for restaurants and culture). We generally walked out and took a taxi back after dinner. (Tip: try La Olla or Los Danzantes - yum!).

The neighborhood is mixed business and residential. There is a garage across the street which made some noise during the day, but the street was quiet in the evenings except for occasional strollers or children playing. It is a side street with very little traffic flow. There is no sign indicating that it is a hotel and the street door is kept locked, so the place is very secure.

• Liked — Friendly staff, tasty breakfast, pretty rooms & courtyard
  • Stayed July 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
D.C. area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2006

I traveled alone to Mexico; first time there, first time traveling alone. I don't speak Spanish. Chencho's place was recommended to me by an American woman. I'd recommend Posada de Chencho to anyone. The breakfasts were always a delicious suprise, with nice Mexican music and friendly service in a very comfortable dining area. Chencho is a wonderful host; he speaks English, has lived in Oaxaca his entire life, and ha his been in the business for over 40 years. The place is secure; I felt so safe while there. Chencho's grown kids work there too, and were always eager to help me. The rooms are very nice, and room 20, where I spent one week, enjoys the morning sun. Other than an occassional barking dog, no noise problems. If you stay there, make some time to sit and chat with Chenco, he's a very nice and ineteresting gentleman. And be sure to visit the local Policia Turistika base. I made friends with a few of them, and they are eager to assist and to practice their English. One of them served me as a tour guide ... much, much cheaper than the local tour agency. Chencho will tell you all about it. Tell him Katie sent you.

Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2006

We have stayed at Posada de Chencho several times over the past seven or eight years and have always enjoyed the experience. I disagree with the other reviewer's analysis of the neighborhood--I have never found it scary and have often walked "home" from the zocalo alone at night even though I am a petite female. It is simply a working class residential neighborhood. We have always found the neighbors very nice. Quite frankly, it is enjoyable to be away from the tourist atmosphere that often surrounds the zocalo and other areas where there are a concentration of hotels, and to live where real people live.

Stayed February 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2006

My wife and I and our two teenage daughters stayed at Posada de Chencho for five nights over X-mas in two rooms. The experience was mixed;

Pros:
Reasonably priced (but see below)
pretty and secure retreat from the city
Nice sitting room with lots of books
very sweet and friendly staff
High quality breakfast with great service
very clean
we were welcomed and felt part of the family

Cons:
The rates were higher than those listed on the website, or quoted on the phone. Breakfasts were charged at about $7 american and Mr Chencho claimed that was part of the room cost. If you go, get this clear before you book. No charges for breakfast are posted. We did not challenge him too hard as our bus was waiting and it would have made a big scene. No credit cards accepted.
Very little lukewarm water available in our room
Rooms downstairs near the entrance are noisy
Mr. Chencho knows a lot and really offers his help, (in good english) but every piece of information he gave us was a little wrong. - check the facts
The neighborhood is not the best, it was a bit scary walking home at night. It takes 15 minutes from the Zocalo fast walking

Visher

• Stayed December 2005

Been to Posada de Chencho? Share your experiences!