“Excellent Oaxacan cookery!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 49 Activities in Oaxaca
Type: Educational Sites, Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: La Cocina Oaxaquena is a cooking school devoted exclusively to Oaxacan cuisine and specializing in local dishes. The Pinelo family of cooks offers comprehensive hands-on cooking classes in a sunny traditionally decorated Mexican kitchen.There is a class available everyday at 9:30am or 2pmPick up and return from your hotel.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent Oaxacan cookery!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

While staying in Oaxaca we took a cooking class at La Cocina Oaxaquena and were met by the very friendly and kind Gerardo (who also spoke good english). He took us out to buy ingredients in the markets and iIt was a great experience. He introduced us to the market-sellers and explained about the ingredients. We then went to his incredible, beautiful kitchen and met his mother with whom we cooked up some seriously tasty Chiles Rellenos and Chicken in Mole after handcrafting our own tortillas! The whole experience was superb - intimate, professional and the food delicious! Well recommended!

Visited June 2012

Brooklyn, NY
7 attraction reviews
“A Lovely Afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I booked a cooking lesson with Socorro and Gerardo at my posada. Gerardo picked me up in the afternoon and we went to the main market, Mercado Abastos (outside of the old city), to shop for ingredients. First off, the market was huge with just about anything available for sale. When I went back by myself, I must have gotten lost more than a few times. Withe Gerardo, we meandered the isles, tasting and discussing the various ingredients and meeting his favorite vendors. My favorites were the chile and grasshoppers vendors.

After picking up the ingredients, we went to his house where Socorro, his mother, had prepped the mise en place for our cooking lesson. The house was gorgeous with a kitchen and dining room open to the elements. On the menu that afternoon was Sopa Azteca, Enchiladas verde, and Coloradito, a local mole. I did some basic prep, cutting some of the aromatics, grinding the mole spice mix, and making some tortillas. During the cooking of the meal, I was a bit alarmed because Socorro was not using the classical French techniques that I had trained in. But, as I observed her, she clearly knew what she was doing and in the end the meal was delicious.

I highly recommend taking this cooking lesson with them.

Visited November 2012
Adelaide, Australia
“One of the best meals in Oaxaca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were picked up from our hotel by the daughter of the hostess.
She was very warm and her English was more than adequate.
She took us to the markets to purchase some of the food required and was more than happy to answer any and all of our questions. She even encouraged us to try some local foods (chapulines, dried pigs intestine and a drink made from water and limestone-all AMAZING)
When we arrived at the cooking school we realised we were being invited into their home.
Socorro our cooking instructor was warm and welcoming.
While her English is poor we found this no barrier. With daughter with us the whole time.
Gerardo arrived just as we're were finishing cooking.
We made Mole Rojo with pork meat (we were asked what type of meat we would like-if we were vegetarians it would not have been an issue!) also zucchini soup, and tortillas.
We were very hands on with the cooking (it was just my husband and I) lots of stirring and chopping but isn't that what cooking is???
On completion of cooking the family, my husband and I sat down to what felt like a family meal.
We drank margaritas and agua de Jamaica (home made juice from hibiscus flowers)
Laughter was apparent the entire time especially with Socorro. (A few Spanish words went a long way)
Overall this was a fantastic experience with warm welcoming people.....and one of the best meals we had in Oaxaca.

Visited January 2013
Fort McMurray, Canada
“Some of the best dining-out can be dining-in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The opportunity to go through the market with a gastronomically knowledgeable local person was invaluable. Both my husband and I got a lot out of that experience. Gerardo gave us the choice of the Mercado Abastos or the Mercado Benito Juarez for the tour. We chose Abastos as it's somewhat off the tourist route and we thought it might be more authentic. We chose well.
Gerardo's family were a delight. We were immediately comfortable in their kitchen, learned a lot and were treated like honoured guests.
The locale for the cooking class was in a 'meet my family' Mexican home; fully equiped and wonderfully laid out.
Service was great start to finish...from booking until our drop off at our B & B.
Dinner ended with the traditional Mezcal and optional chapulines.

Visited December 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Authentic & fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

We loved this experience. From correspondence on email to inviting us into their home, the family were delightful and the class and trip to the market were really interesting. We made mole negro which is by far the tastiest we have tried and learned lots about Mexican life and cooking. If we were here for longer we'd do another class!