“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Murguia #104 Centro, Oaxaca 68000, Mexico   |
Ranked #76 of 111 hotels in Oaxaca
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Abu hotel has an excellent location in the city center. This street connects you with most of the points of interest in the city. The room was absolutely clean,but with a little musty odor. The personnel at the front desk provide information in case you need it. Very quiet at night to sleep.Wi- Fi is free.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The hotel is located in downtown Oaxaca... just in the middle of the two most important points : Zocalo & Sto Domingo.
Very clean hotel, great service although a little bit expensive. a little noisy when other guest arrive to their rooms (hallways) but if you don't mind a little bit of noise, this is perfect for you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Beautiful building, central location, helpful staff. It's lovely, it's modern (with up-to-date bathrooms) but has the courtyard architecture. I stayed with a small group and we all enjoyed the accommodations for the most part. Would I stay there again? Yes and no...

Yes if I needed a nice, clean hotel room with no surprises and didn't care about the price. The bathroom area is small but up-to-date - what you would expect in a new, efficient hotel in Europe. Electricity is driven by placing your room card in the slot.

Also, the location is fabulous - right around the corner from Cafe Brujula, and <10 minute walk to Santo Domingo or the Zocalo. The wifi is great and there is plenty of room to spread out at the tables in the courtyard when looking at cameras and computers with your colleagues.

No, because I think there are better prices to be had with a more traditional feel. The breakfast is good (not going to win any awards) but doesn't vary much from day to day. The rooms are efficient & comfortable but the beds take up most of the room - you're not going to hang out in the room. Keep in mind I typically like B&Bs.

With respect to traffic, it is one of the quieter hotels - the challenge is the airy, 3 or 4 stories tall courtyard. There was a group of guests who were talking loudly to each other from different floors one night. More than one of our group made calls to the front desk (which is on the other side of a wall from the courtyard).

Room Tip: I stayed in a room on the 3rd floor at the back. With the courtyard, I'm not sure it made a dif...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel last minute.
When we arrived our first impression was this is great.
We booked using Expedia / Tripadvisor and had booked for 4 nights. ABU had our booking as 3 nights. After some back and forth they amended our booking.
Our room was tiny. Hardly enough room for a suitcase and backpack.
However the king size bed makes up for that.
The bed was so comfy with great pillows.
It's a very very noisy hotel. There were lots of children staying as it was school holidays and due to the layout of hotel we could hear every noise they made!
The location is great, right in the middle of town and right near a pedestrian only street.
Very safe to walk around at night.
In room safe, small towels, but extremely clean and tidy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed here with a small group for the Day of the Dead festival this year, and really enjoyed the property. Pleasant desk staff, the wi fi was good, rooms well appointed. Easy walk to restaurants and everything Oaxaca has to offer. One interesting thing: your lights turn on/off by placing your room key into a slot on the wall. At first I thought we were without power until I figured it out. Only thing I would suggest is add more plugs in the rooms for laptops, small appliances etc. and the meeting rooms with tend to get very crowded with people and their laptops etc.

Room Tip: There is an elevator although it is small. I think any room at this hotel would be just fine.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Los Cabos Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The hotel is located in downtown Oaxaca, steps away from Santo Domingo. From there you can have the best walking tour of the city.

The architecture of the hotel is very good. They have an interior Patio with fountain, very cozy and relaxing.

The front desk team is very kind, professional and efficient. In general, the hotel has a very good service.

The rooms are very small. I traveled with my father and we had a twin bedroom. There was no space left for us to move. If you chose a King bed I am sure you will have a much better experience. The room decor is simple and has all the basic services you might expect from a 4 star hotel. Internet is free and works well.

The only thing that the hotel needs to work in is the acoustics. The interior corridor is covered to protect from the rain but it causes an echo at night. From your room you will hear everything that happens at the lobby area. Very noisy.

Room Tip: King bedded rooms offer more space and you will have a better experience. Ask for a room which is no...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
new york city
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have visited Oaxaca a number of times, but this year for Dia De Los Muertos, most properties in town were sold out. I booked a room at Hotel Abu via hotels.com. I ended up making two back-to-back reservations : 1 for the first 3 days, and the 2nd for another week.
When I arrived, my first reservation was fine, but for the 2nd one they were overbooked, and told me there was a hotels.com error. The hotel had absolutely no sympathy for my very distressing situation - the entire city was sold out, and I thought I had a confirmed reservation. The error probably was the fault of hotels.com, but as I stood in the lobby, confused and frustrated, they did absolutely nothing to help me. They watched and sort of snickered and eventually showed me to my tiny little box of a room. I mean, ridiculously small. Albeit the bed was comfortable and the room was clean.
But there was barely room for my suitcase in this room. And it was stupidly loud - there is a covered courtyard in the center of the hotel, and as people come and go, their voices echo through the whole place.
This hotel left me with a very bad taste in my mouth. I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Request an exterior room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Abu? Share your experiences!