“Great informative tours” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 49 Activities in Oaxaca
More attraction details
Owner description: Custom-designed private tours for one or more people, economical and flexible. An extension of our very popular Mexico City service, we arrange the day and get the guide to fit your interests, covering anything from handicrafts and village visits to meeting healers, midwives, artisans and artists, trying street food, and walking tours that take you through neighborhoods, parks, markets and ancient alleys, to the side of Oaxaca beyond the sight of most tourists.
3 attraction reviews
“Great informative tours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

We had two great tours in Oaxaca, a walking tour around the city and another to the surrounding villages. Both were great tours and we learnt so much about Oaxaca during these tours.
Mahsa took us to some great food stalls in the local markets as we told her we liked to try the local food which we loved.
We has one of our favorite meals in all if Mexico during our tour to the villages.
I would highly recommend Mahsa if you are visiting Oaxaca. They also offer tours in Mexico City which I would also highly recommend.

Visited December 2013

Perth, Australia
“worth the investment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I would like to reinforce all the positive comments about Mahsa's tours. I was in Oaxaca for ten days and went on her waling orientation tour. I don't normally book such tours but found this tour was particularly useful as Mahsa showed me 'out of the way' places that I wouldn't have thought to look at and she also helped me find some things I needed. She went out of her way to help me on my first day in Oaxaca, and I am greatly appreciative of her kindness. I also went with Mahsa on a day trip to look at black pottery and wood carving and that places Mahsa picked to take myself and another to were really good. We got to see the artisans at work, visit a fantastic art gallery and there was the flexibility to stay as long as we liked. I am happy to recommend Mahsa's services.

San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Pottery and humans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Traveling with Mahsa in Mexico is traveling in and with the world. The artisans we met have good skills and show you their methods, answer your questions and so on. If you are in the mood for buying, you will be happy. Otherwise, it just as fine. Mahsa is very attend and repectfull of both clients and local people. I just wish I had had more time to know her better. I can only recommend to go and visit Oaxaca this way.

Colorado Springs
“Wonderful Oaxaca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

As a first time visitor to Oaxaca I can say, without a doubt, it was one of my best experiences touring Mexico. On our trip, a total of six women, we had the privilege of meeting Mahsa as our tour guide for four days. Upon our arrival, Mahsa took us on a walking tour so we would have the general outlay of the city. Needless to say, we walked a lot to the markets and zocolo, enjoying every minute of browsing and shopping, when not touring.
The next three days were filled with visiting local artisans in the area and having demonstrations done by each of the craftsmen or women in their homes. Our main focus was on pottery, weaving and wood carving, but we were exposed to much more than we had asked for. Masha took us to some of the best of the best of Oaxaca. She has developed a great working relationship with these artisans, and because of that relationship, we got to see things the normal visitor would not have been privileged to see. Mahsa also gave us back round on the many cultures in the region and answered all of our questions, demonstrating her vast knowledge of the area and the people.
If you want a terrific tour of Oaxaca, Mahsa is the one for you! She is a compassionate and knowledgeable woman with a love of the area, you can't go wrong with her as your guide. Thanks Mahsa for being the great person you are.
T

Tucson, Arizona
5 attraction reviews
“The experience of a lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Annually I travel in a region of Mexico. This year, with five other women we arranged to have Mahsa prepare guide service for our Oaxacan stay. Our interests are primarily in the crafts, artisan history in the area, and local culture. Our first half day walking was a perfect introduction to the city, it included, lunch at the market near our hotel, eventually ending at the large central market downtown. No better way to familiarize yourself to a city, from that afternoon forward we felt comfortable navigating the city streets.
For the following three days we traveled. San Bartolo Coyotepec to see the black pottery makers, to San Martin Tilcajete to see the talented wood carvers and painters, stopping for lunch at the Friday market in Ocotlan, to the backstrap weavers in Santo Tomas Jalilza.
On the road again the following day to Aztompa be treated to a wonderful family that demonstrated their process of molding mined clay into beautiful sculpted works of art, to Xochimilco, an old barrio overlooking the city that had a wonderful market and a demonstration from a family that still weaves the beautiful colorful bedspreads from Oaxaca.
Final tour day to Teotitlan de Valle to the women's co op, the two hours spent there put us all in awe of the women who card, wash, spin, dye, and weave their wonderful rugs. We also visit a candle making family and eventually to Tlacolula.
This whole tour was catered to what we had requested, it was perfect! We could not have asked for more, nor did we expect such a perfect outcome. It was so evident during our whole time with the individual families, that she has a tremendous respect for the traditions these artisans have passed through the generations, and the pride these people have in the products they create. She knows so much about the history of the area, and has a passion for teaching others the culture that exists there.
I feel so very fortunate to have had this experience, it was an experience that will remain with me for a very long time.
Thank you Mahsa!