“The perfect place to base yourself in Oaxaca.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Casa del Sol Oaxaca

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Hostal Casa del Sol Oaxaca
Constitucion 301 Col. Centro C.P. 68000 | 68000, Oaxaca 68000, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 112 hotels in Oaxaca
Merida, Mexico
“The perfect place to base yourself in Oaxaca.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Having tried many, and I mean MANY hostels in Mexico, Casa del Sol still rates up there at the top, hence my having stayed there 4 or 5 times. For comfort, location, tasteful decoration, friendliness, cleanliness, peace and tranquility then you cannot beat this hostel. Guillermo is the consummate host and his team will make sure your stay is hassle-free, relaxing and very civilised. The only drawback is not being able to use the kitchen after 6pm, but if you ask nicely there is sometimes some flexibility. Other than that, this is hands down the best hostel you will find for miles. Muchas gracias chicos!! Arlo

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I had a great time staying at Hostal Casa del Sol. The White double room was lovely and a bargain at 450 pesos a night. The courtyard is beautiful, the staff is helpful and friendly, and the entire place is squeaky clean. The location is also excellent; it is a relatively short walk to the zocalo, mostly along traffic-free streets, and an even shorter walk to the Santo Domingo cathedral. Our beds were made every day and the room was cleaned, in sharp contrast with other hostels we stayed in on our trip. The bathrooms were shared, but the ladies bathroom was as nicely decorated as the rest of the hostel. There was a weird incident where a neighbor had a concert until 4 in the morning, but that was no fault of the hostel, and we should have brought ear plugs anyway. I'm so glad that we were able to find out about this place through trip advisor, as it was not in most of the guidebooks I looked at--yet. My only criticism is that the mattress wasn't very comfortable, but I wouldn't rate that as a big enough problem to take a star away from the excellent overall experience--by far and away it exceeds the expectations of something labeled a hostel. I would highly recommend this Hostal Casa del Sol to anyone visiting Oaxaca, and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I cannot praise this hotel enough. The place is clean, beautifully decorated, staff are friendly and helpful.
I stayed there with my family, four of us shared a room and another slept in the dorm. The rooms were clean, tidy, as was the women's bathroom.
It was extremely cheap staying here, breakfast was included and we felt very at home. I look forward to going back in the future!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lucerne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here just after 2013 new year eve. The hostal was full and the people and commons areas were great. The price is very good and even it has no luxuries but great location, quiet and nice place.

Room Tip: Private bathroom
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed in the Lavender double room for 3 nights after Christmas. Our rate was 450 pesos/night including tax, a real bargain for this little gem. The room is spacious and well-furnished. The shared bathroom is very clean (the men's is functional but the lady's is charming). The staff is friendly and Guillermo is very helpful if you don't speak Spanish well, although he isn't always there.

The hostel is a short walk to an incredible number of highly rated restaurants and cafes, yet its location is quiet and safe. We were so beguiled by Oaxacan cuisine that we ate a big breakfast outside the hostel everyday, so we cannot review the hostel's breakfast.

Walking to the beautiful zocalo (our favourite spot in Oaxaca) is about 15-20 minutes with many things to see along the way. Oaxaca is lovely place. We already look forward to returning some day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Guillerm0_Mend0za, Propietario at Hostal Casa del Sol Oaxaca, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you very much for your comment. It is our commitment to us that you feel good in the hostel and every day we try to make the quality of our service the reason of our work. We hope you coming soon!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Just had my second stay at Casa del Sol Oaxaca. Stayed last year in December (2011) and decided to stay again this year ( December 2012). Loved it. Guillermo as usual was great. The house and the central patio lovely. Everything very clean. Use of the community kitchen. Is this the perfect hotel? No. The lamps in my room by the bed were wobbly, the pillows not cushy enough. The naked lightbulb in the ceiling is awful. No lamp on the desk. But the reason to stay at Casa del Sol is three fold. ONE: the host/owner Guillermo; charming and welcoming: TWO: the price. Very cheap. THREE: the bones of the beautiful old house that is the hotel itself. The sun fills the patio in the morning and draws you out of your room into the glory of the very large patio filled with bright pink bougainvillea. Casa del Sol Oaxaca is the kind of house that everyone wants in Oaxaca and nobody can find. This kind of house is seldom if never open to the public. So don't go to Casa del Sol looking for perfection. You won't find it. But stay at Casa del Sol to experience the simple joys of living in the center of Oaxaca in a lovely space for a very inexpensive price. I paid 550 Mexican pesos (44 us dollars or 34 euros) per night for a large room with a private bath. If you want creature comfort, and a lovely attempt at perfection go to Casa Oaxaca. But you will pay approximately $250 us dollars and up per night. But for me personally, I prefer Casa del Sol; the welcome, the sun in the patio, the flowers and the feeling that for a few days you are living in your own beautiful, rustic, 19th century house/hacienda. I can't wait to go back in December 2013. Thanks Guillermo.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I spent a while travelling through Mexico last summer and stayed at Hostal Casa del Sol at the recommendation of two Mexican friends. I loved it but was only briefly passing through. I then decided to return and learn Spanish at one of the schools. I ended up staying twice as long as I meant to. Everyday I went to the bus station and changed my ticket! I truly felt like I was at home. The owner, Guillermo was funny and warm and helpful - even holding Spanish lessons in the courtyard for myself and another guest! We had a few nights where different guests cooked for everyone at the hostal - even Guillermo's cousin from Mexico City made us a delicious meal one night - Pollo de Naranja. Yuum. I still make it at home in Australia and remember with great fondness my time in Oaxaca and at Hostal Case del Sol. I highly recommend this place. Simple but stylish clean rooms, a healthy breakfast, wonderful owner and prime positions in one of Mexico's most beautiful towns. I hope to return soon!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hostal Casa del Sol Oaxaca? Share your experiences!