“Felt like my Mexican home.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Casa del Sol Oaxaca

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Hostal Casa del Sol Oaxaca
You added Hostal Casa del Sol Oaxaca to your Saves list
Constitucion 301 Col. Centro C.P. 68000 | 68000, Oaxaca 68000, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 89 Specialty Lodging in Oaxaca
Melbourne, Australia
“Felt like my Mexican home.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I spent a while travelling through Mexico last summer and stayed at Hostal Casa del Sol at the recommendation of two Mexican friends. I loved it but was only briefly passing through. I then decided to return and learn Spanish at one of the schools. I ended up staying twice as long as I meant to. Everyday I went to the bus station and changed my ticket! I truly felt like I was at home. The owner, Guillermo was funny and warm and helpful - even holding Spanish lessons in the courtyard for myself and another guest! We had a few nights where different guests cooked for everyone at the hostal - even Guillermo's cousin from Mexico City made us a delicious meal one night - Pollo de Naranja. Yuum. I still make it at home in Australia and remember with great fondness my time in Oaxaca and at Hostal Case del Sol. I highly recommend this place. Simple but stylish clean rooms, a healthy breakfast, wonderful owner and prime positions in one of Mexico's most beautiful towns. I hope to return soon!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hostel is really a gem in the middle of old Oaxaca. The courtyard is very pretty and well kept. All the rooms are through wooden 'saloon' style doors off the courtyard. We stayed in the 'Blanca' Room which was very nice - tastefully decorated and felt more like a hotel than a hostel. The staff are v friendly and helpful and the breakfast is basic but decent.

Only reason it's not getting five stars is because of the shared bathrooms which were very small and you have to trot outside through the courtyard in the night to get to them - but wouldn't stop me from staying again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

At 420 pesos a night for a private double room, you'll be hard pressed t find better value. The staff are helpful, and speak very good English - although they will try to sell you a tour the minute you walk in.

The rooms are very clean and the shared bathrooms are too. There is a kitchen available for use for lunch, and they provide a simple but nice breakfast.

It only has a few rooms, so you don't have to compete with a crowd. But you must book ahead or you won't get a room.

Wifi in the rooms is good.

Quiet, even though inside the rooms the adobe causes echoing. You can't hear the other guests.

A sunny central courtyard is a lovely place to hang out with the other guests.

We stayed here 2 nights and would have made it longer if they had had the rooms available.

• Stayed August 2012
Romeno, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I'm Italian and I travelled through the whole Mexico for a month this summer and arrive in Oaxaca, beautiful city, and find this hostel was a blessing! We were in three girls and couldn't find a free place in the dormitory, so we slept in a private room with two double beds, really big and clean and the price is not so far from the dormitory one. Toilets and shower were common (divided boys and girls) but also super clean. The breakfast was plenty and fresh. Moreover, the owner of the hostel usually offer to guests guided visits to all of the sites near Oaxaca; are really exaustive and cheap (we took all of them and we were really satisfied).
Is the best hostel in Oaxaca with the cheapest price! Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Leuven, Vlaams-Brabant, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

First of all, I just adored the city of Oaxaca. Always full of people, a lot of fiestas (most of them on the street), all in all a great atmosphere!
En then on top of that, there was Hostal Casa del Sol, which really was the best. Spacious, clean and very cosy rooms. Shared bathrooms, but also very neat. Breakfast was also very nice.
The only thing I wouldn't recommend is the trip to Mitla, arbol del tule, hierve el agua, that one was not well organised at all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Capital of the World
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

A little peace of heaven in Oaxaca. The owner is super nice and it going above and beyond to make sure you are served to your every needs. We wanted to go hiking, but were lacking appropriate planning, so missed out on all the 'normal' hikes... he said: 'go for diner, not to worry'. When we came back he organized us a 2-day hiking with guide for even less and way cooler than the 'normal' hikes in Sierra Norte.

Rooms are decorated as if being in a nice Mexican house. Very spacious and not hot.

Breakfast is simple, but include.

Room Tip: For the little extra get a private room, it's a good spot to get a 'luxurious' break fro...