“Best cooking class ever” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 239 restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Dinner
Description: With the Slow Food concept, our Executive Chef has acomplished a perfect balance between flavors, tradition and support of the local economy. The menu convines traditional Oaxaca recipes, with inovative recipes that uses local ingredients creating surprises for the palate. And to accompany some of the dishes without a doubt we recomend to taste the exclusive mezcal that has been elaborated by artisans for Azul de Oaxaca.
Andover, Massachusetts
“Best cooking class ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

My husband, daughter and I took a private cooking class with chef Jose Luis Diaz, which was the highlight of our 3 week trip. He first asked us what our goals were (learn about different chiles), took us to the market to shop for for menus that he designed to show us the variety of ways to prepare chiles. Back in his pristine kitchen, we made 5 salsas, two moles, tortillas, black bean soup, a cheese appetizer, chicken, the horchata drink, and Mexican hot chocolate. We stopped at various times to eat! We took notes, and now have the confidence to do these menus at home - he demystified it for us. I can't get enough of his Mole Coloradito recipe and neither can my friends.

• Visited January 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
Eugene, OR
“Savored every bite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

I returned to Oaxaca with a visit to Azul high on my list of things to do here. I had been to Chef Jose Luis Diaz's last restaurant, El Teatro Culinario, and had thought about that dinner for a year. I was not disappointed. Although he is in a new location the concept and quality are the same. Fresh Oaxacan ingredients put together in a unique style daily depending on what is available that day. I had the tasting menu in order to sample a variety of creations. I have a dietary restriction and this was taken into account. Each dish came with an explanation (in English or Spanish) of the ingredients. The combinations of flavors were extraordinary. I don't think I could have named one of the dishes as my favorite because they all had a unique essence to them and I savored ever bite. There was another couple in the restaurant the night I was there, they came to Oaxaca strictly to explore the cuisine in Oaxaca. This was their second visit to Azul in the short week that they had to explore the many wonderful restaurants. Like me, they couldn't get enough. I don't drink much but took the glass of mezcal that they suggested. It was perfect with the meal.
I will be back again before my trip here is over and dream about this restaurant until I return to Oaxaca next time.

• Visited March 2011