“Spanish immersion through speaking” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 97 things to do in Oaxaca
More attraction details
Owner description: Amigos del Sol welcomes you to Oaxaca! we teach Spanish to travelers and people from all the world interested in learning more about the Spanish Language and Oaxaca. We will be very happy to have you with us!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Langley, Washington
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Spanish immersion through speaking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Friendly, fun but serious school for students of all levels and ages. The three person maximum class size is a HUGE plus, and they do a good job of matching abilities of group members. I did the three hour a day group lesson, but also opted for an extra two hour private session and home-stay (and, a sucker for punishment, I buried my nose in a Spanish language detective novel in the evenings). Excellent teachers, and super friendly environment. Hector and Celso did a great job teaching, and Rogelio manages the whole enterprise beautifully!

Bend, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I've studied Spanish at 10 schools in Mexico. But I only recommend 2. In Oaxaca, Instituto Amigos del Sol is my clear choice. I studied there a month beginning mid-January 2013. This experience convinced me to rent an apartment long term and return this fall to pursue my goal of becoming fluent. This school does not waste time or money. Lessons are skillfully and cheerfully tailored to the individual needs of the students.

Nome, Alaska
“February 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I spent the month in Oaxaca. My visit centered around classes at Amigos del Sol language school.
The class size was small, varying between two and three. Maria Elena and Miriam were my instructors. They were very competent. The lessons were well presented and clear. My only problem was that my 72 year old memory is not as good as it once was.
The contacts at school grew to include lunches, dinners and field trips with other students.
I would (and may well next year) attend again.

Los Angeles, California
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Attending Amigos del Sol really enhanced my visit to Oaxaca. Not only did I really improve my conversational Spanish with my teacher, I made friends and got insights into the culture that only can come from connecting with locals. Rogelio deeply cares about student learning and enjoyment. Classes are small and intimate, and conversations can turn student interests. I was able to break from my very formal understanding of Spanish finally, and into the realm of talking comfortably, I also was able to get very specific instruction on points of grammar that troubled me, by asking for explanations in class. It was great!

Visited December 2012
Mountain View, California, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Instituto Amigos del Sol”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I spent a week at Amigos del Sol in Oaxaca, and enjoyed my time there. I went with two friends who likewise enjoyed the experience. I would definitely go back to the Institute.

The director, Rogelio, is a really nice fellow. He and I had several pleasant email interchanges both before and after my stay in Oaxaca. He referred us to a really good cooking school. After my visit, I sent him a few comments about my experience and a couple of suggestions. Rogelio was very appreciative and responsive. He truly wants every student to have a wonderful experience.

His school is a ten minute drive from downtown Oaxaca. He and the teachers picked us up and dropped us off. When I first heard about this, I didn't like the idea. But in practice it was fun. It was a great way to interact with the other students and with Rogelio.

Hopefully we will go back soon!