“Highly Recommended” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 57 attractions in Oaxaca
Type: Educational Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Amigos del Sol welcomes you to Oaxaca! we teach Spanish to travelers and people from all the world interested in learning more about the Spanish Language and Oaxaca. We will be very happy to have you with us!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Bend, Oregon
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I've studied Spanish at 10 schools in Mexico. But I only recommend 2. In Oaxaca, Instituto Amigos del Sol is my clear choice. I studied there a month beginning mid-January 2013. This experience convinced me to rent an apartment long term and return this fall to pursue my goal of becoming fluent. This school does not waste time or money. Lessons are skillfully and cheerfully tailored to the individual needs of the students.

Nome, Alaska
“February 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I spent the month in Oaxaca. My visit centered around classes at Amigos del Sol language school.
The class size was small, varying between two and three. Maria Elena and Miriam were my instructors. They were very competent. The lessons were well presented and clear. My only problem was that my 72 year old memory is not as good as it once was.
The contacts at school grew to include lunches, dinners and field trips with other students.
I would (and may well next year) attend again.

Los Angeles, California
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Attending Amigos del Sol really enhanced my visit to Oaxaca. Not only did I really improve my conversational Spanish with my teacher, I made friends and got insights into the culture that only can come from connecting with locals. Rogelio deeply cares about student learning and enjoyment. Classes are small and intimate, and conversations can turn student interests. I was able to break from my very formal understanding of Spanish finally, and into the realm of talking comfortably, I also was able to get very specific instruction on points of grammar that troubled me, by asking for explanations in class. It was great!

Visited December 2012
Mountain View, California, United States
5 attraction reviews
“Instituto Amigos del Sol”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I spent a week at Amigos del Sol in Oaxaca, and enjoyed my time there. I went with two friends who likewise enjoyed the experience. I would definitely go back to the Institute.

The director, Rogelio, is a really nice fellow. He and I had several pleasant email interchanges both before and after my stay in Oaxaca. He referred us to a really good cooking school. After my visit, I sent him a few comments about my experience and a couple of suggestions. Rogelio was very appreciative and responsive. He truly wants every student to have a wonderful experience.

His school is a ten minute drive from downtown Oaxaca. He and the teachers picked us up and dropped us off. When I first heard about this, I didn't like the idea. But in practice it was fun. It was a great way to interact with the other students and with Rogelio.

Hopefully we will go back soon!

Visited February 2013
“I'm back in US but thinking in Spanish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just finished a week of classes at Amigos del Sol, and I wish I could have stayed for more. I used to be relatively fluent in Spanish but that was over 30 years ago with few opportunities since then to speak. I had a class of three for three hours each day, excluding homework. I practiced every afternoon while strolling the streets of Oaxaca. I thought the teachers were great, and the community of students who were taking classes at different levels became close over a short period of time. Lots of choices for Spanish classes in Oaxaca, but I believe I made the right one.