“good food, bad value” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner
Burlington, Vermont
“good food, bad value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This place is very pricey considering the miniscule size of the portions. The hummus is probably the best in oaxaca and the chicken kebabs were also tasty. the pita bread was warm and soft as well. However, everything on the menu is served in such a small portion that the prices feel rather exorbitant. As far as $ for value, not a good choice. But like I said, the food was good and the restaurant's setup was unique and fresh.

• Visited September 2012

New York, NY
“It's OK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

El Morocco is a chance to try Moroccan cuisine made in Mexico. I was curious. The best thing was the chicken kebabs, the meat was cooked to perfection. The couscous was delicious but too heavy and did not taste authentic, although it did taste good. The salads were average. Pita bread was served nice and hot. The wine was a disappointment, I ordered by the glass, it had clearly been sitting out too long and was stale. If you go here, I suggest not ordering the wine, order beer instead or if you have to have wine, order it by the bottle. The Baklava was a disappointment, too dry, not enough flavor.

The service was friendly, but slow. Overall, the food was OK but it is located a bit far from the Zocalo. I'm glad I tried it once. If I went back, I'd just order the kebabs.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“My new favorite restaurant in Oaxaca! That's not easy in the culinary capital that is Oaxaca.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Everything that I have eaten so far is superb and spot on perfect! The decor is exquisite and the service is great. I will eat anywhere once, but few places get me back twice. This is a place I will go to as long as my pocket allows!

Tak, Thailand
“Authentic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Really good appetizers. Nice infusion teas. Real Moroccan appointment. Laid back on a not busy street. Very open air.

Morelia, Mexico
“It doesn't get much better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

What a delight! The flavors here are magnificent, and a nice change of pace from Mexican food. My wife and I live in Mexico, and Greek/Mediterranean cuisine is hard to find. It is hard to find anywhere that is this good!

We started with an order of unusually tasty hummus served with fresh vegetable sticks for dipping. We also ordered pita bread, which arrived piping hot and wonderful. From there, we had a greek salad that was among the best I've ever had. They prepare it as a chopped salad, and it is extremely flavorful. As our entree, we had couscous with lamb and vegetables--to my taste, perfect.

Even though my wife and I shared all three items, we were not able to finish them and took some home with us. The price, 360 pesos, included the food and two beers, plus a lemon desert we purchased to bring home with us--in my view, a terrific value.

My only complaint today was the service. I suspect the waitress was new, as she didn't know the menu, had to ask someone else for almost anything we wanted to know, and was very tentative in her service. Several times we appealed to another server who took over for her. In fact, the chef/owner stopped by to see how everything was, and apologized for the slowness of the service. In view of the total experience, I'm not letting this impact my review of the restaurant.

The setting is comfortable and as other reviewers have said, in a quiet neighborhood a little outside the main hotel/restaurant area of Oaxaca. While not far, it is a good 15 minute walk from the Zocolo, and about 5 minutes from the Santo Domingo church. But don't let that stop you--it is a delightful experience! We are already planning to return.

• Visited August 2012