“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Maria

Villa Maria
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Villa Maria
You added Villa Maria to your Saves list
Arteaga 410, Oaxaca 68000, Mexico   |
Ranked #50 of 110 Hotels in Oaxaca
Portland, Maine
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Villa Maria is an affordable and great place to stay. The apartments are clean and the staff is attentive. Conveniently located to the Zocolo, we were able to walk to the markets, buses, and great restaurants. I highly recommend Villa Maria.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Guadalajara
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

We stayed for 5 nights in a 3 bedroom apartment but used only two of them. The kitchen was fully equipped so we could do our own cookings. Oaxaca in april is very hot but thanks to the plants in the patio the temperatur in Villa Maira is much less. All rooms have fans. The rooms are very clean. We liked it a lot.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Essex, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

My husband and I came to Oaxaca to study - TESOL course and Spanish. We booked a room at Villa Maria in October and based on what Maria told us and the reviews, we thought we had just the place we needed for six weeks. Maria told us that the apartment fronted on Calle Arteaga and that it could be noisy during the day but that it quieted down in the evening and the bedroom was interior. As soon as we got there we were skeptical - one night decided us that we would not be able to remain. The trucks and cars rumbled by until well into the night (11:00 p.m.) and started up again around 5:00 a.m. When they went by, the vibration shook not only the big windows that fronted on the street, but the interior windows on the utility room as well. The water heater in the utility room next to the bedroom also went on and off all night. The bedroom was "interior" as we were told, but had no windows as it was on the first floor. Essentially we felt like we were in a garage except that the apartment was spotless, very well equipped and had a good shower. Maria was kind and accommodating and no doubt the other apartments, that are all on the second floor and front on the courtyard garden are as pictured on the website. We cannot comment on those since we never got to see them. The evening we arrived the garden was gated and the dog was inside and she said we couldn't go in. We lost our $100 deposit but fortunately did not pay her the rent initially. The following day we spent from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. searching for another place. Fortunately the people at Spanish Magic (my husband's language school) knew of someone with a place near the Parque Llano which we were able to rent immediately for the same price it would have cost at Villa Maria. It is quiet, large (two bedrooms and two baths), immaculate and very secure. Best of all we step out the door and can enjoy the park any time of day or evening. Oaxaca is a busy, noisy city most of the day and there is traffic on all the major thoroughfares. The location of Villa Maria and the ambiance for those who have an upstairs apartments may make it OK for many people. The street noise and the shaking of the windows however made it intolerable for us. If you want to rent there be sure to specify an upstairs place and if you consider the street-fronting place you would do well to see it before handing over your pesos.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Shelbyville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

My wife and I have stayed at Villa Maria many times usually for 3 months. We lucked up on our first stay there because it was sight unseen and we had never been to Oaxaca.
We were greeted by helpful neighbors who became friends and pleasant surrondings. The location we know now is second to none in convenience. The staff there is helpful and efficient and anxious to please. The owner of Villa Maria is a resource you don't oftern find. We had a medical problem and she sent us to a doctor who knew immediately the cause and remedy and it was soon corrected. We recommend it highly.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

I have just returned from my third stay at Villa Maria and already I am missing it. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this very comfortable and easy apartment complex. there is a central courtyard filled with flowers and trees and birds and a very friendly dog named Ramses. There are two sun and light filled roof top terraces that became my favorite places each night to watch the sun set. Golden light turned into purples and reds and the outlines of the surrounding mountains soon twinkled with the lights of houses and street lamps.

My apartment was simply and comfortably furnished, with everything I needed to rest and cook. From the very first time I stayed there, Maria Garcia, the landlady, welcomed me with warmth and loads of information about the city. Her staff is lovely and very helpful. I felt completely safe and secure and greatly appreciated the care everyone took in maintaining the complex, and my living area.

Maria takes great pride and care in working with her tenants. Over the years, she has developed relationships with her guests, so much so that many have returned year after year for more than 5 years. Because of this, there is continuity and friendliness among the guests, and I have developed my own friendships with the people I have met at Villa Maria.

The locations is ideal - a 15 minute walk to anything you would want to see (even closer to the Zocolo) and far enough to not be in the midst of the hustle and bustle. I definitely consider Oaxaca my 2nd home, and my experience at Villa Maria is part of why I return again and again to this wonderful place. I cannot recommend it enough - the simplicity, the reasonable pricing, the people. I am already counting days to my next trip there.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

My partner and I have been staying for extended periods at Willa Maria's for several years. When we first discovered VM, we were living in another apartment in the city. As soon as we saw the tranquil courtyard and roof garden, we felt at home, and moved as quickly as possible. Our first visit, we moved into one of the small apartments, but in subsequent stays we chose a larger apartment for more kitchen space. Like others who have been coming here for many years, we find the location excellent for shopping and touring. The english language library is a pleasant walk, as is the zocalo and several mercados. From nearby I can catch a bus to just about anywhere my heart desires.

We have no anxieties about walking in the neighborhood at night. We very much enjoy the small restaurants the locals frequent, in addition to the street food vendors. The neighborhood is quiet at night, except for the occasional fiesta. Much the same situation in any big city!

We like the comfort of the living quarters, which includes a living room and large bathroom, nicely equipped kitchen and pleasant bedrooms. The other renters are mostly pleasant people, who appreciate both fellowship and privacy. Past guests have established a small lending library right in the courtyard, and the rooftop garden is a jewel, in our eyes. One of us particularly likes the weekly cleaning service!

Maria is most accomodating of any requests we've ever had, is professional yet warm with us. We feel lucky to have found Villa Maria! Friends who have visited us in past years all marvel at our great home away from home.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

We stayed at Villa Maria for one month with our 3 and 5 year old kids. We discovered VM from the Moon guidebook. From our initial e-mail contact to our check-out, Maria was very professional and gracious. VM met all our family needs. We felt very welcome and safe. Loved being in an ordinary, working-class neighborhood rather than the more tourist-oriented areas near Macedonio Alcala -- which have very charming, lovely places, but just didn't fit our needs and preferences. VM staff were excellent. After taking a 10-day excursion to Puerto Escondido, our kids were so happy to be back at VM, which is a great sign of how homey the place is. We never had any problems and would definitely invite others intending to stay for an extended period to consider Villa Maria.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Been to Villa Maria? Share your experiences!