“My first trip to Oaxaca” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Colonial

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Casa Colonial
You added Casa Colonial to your Saves list
Miguel Negrete No. 105, Oaxaca 68000, Mexico   |
Ranked #9 of 102 Oaxaca B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Escondido, California
“My first trip to Oaxaca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Thank you all for making my first trip to Mexico one of the most memorable trips of my life!!

It could not have been ANY better!!! I already want to go back!
I booked the retreat through www.salsaretreat.com which I found online while reaching dance vacations. Alice, the director, did an excellent job meeting all my needs and sharing information about what was available. The cost was very reasonable and all these items added up for me to book this retreat for myself! I did not even hesitate. I traveled alone and felt safe the whole time in Mexico.

The room at Casa Colonial was a paradise amongst an amazing city with so much to offer. I had no idea what I was in for on my first trip, everyday was an adventure and the whole trip changed my life. The Casa Colonial was a big part of the enjoyment, I had privacy, beauty and comfort. The delicious breakfasts in the morning were an extra delight that was so appreciated to start my day. The staff is a delight and cheerful. They love what they do there and it shows. The lessons at Tumbao Baille Studio with Betty and martin for my salsa instruction was just what I wanted and the main reason I booked the trip but so much more added to the experience, I can hardly put into words. I even took a side trip to Puerto Escondido and Amado at the Casa made it a breeze for me to fly there and aligned taxis to come and go during my stay. An extra bonus I so appreaceted since I do not speak any Spanish!!

I took photos with my iPhone and documented what I experienced in extraordinary Oaxaca Mexico, since words can fall short. Thank you all, I can't stop telling others and sharing my photos about my trip and hope if you are reading this and considering going to Oaxaca that you do it... do something extraordinary and experience this amazing city!!! You will be so happy you did!!

Room Tip: Any of them!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My son and I really enjoyed our time at the Casa Colonial Oaxaca! It was a wonderful stay – Jane has created a lovely, luxurious green and friendly environment behind the pink/ purple doors opening onto the city streets. Amado was the best host ever and helped us make all of the arrangements that we wanted to visit both the city and outside of the city. Oaxaca was both safe and pleasant. We walked around everywhere, including at night, without a problem, and ate in both nice restaurants and also from the street stalls, with equal pleasure. Oaxaca is a hidden jewel in Mexico and deserves to be better known. I should also mention that the breakfasts were delicious and the room very clean, with beautiful fresh flowers and mineral water. Our taxis were punctual and courteous. Cannot recommend more highly.
Best - Sherry

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Our third stay at The Casa was from July 13 to July 24, 2012. We went for 2 major reasons: a rug weaver friend's wedding in Teotitlan Del Valle and the Guelaguetza in Oaxaca. This was a fantastic time to be in Oaxaca with all of the celebrations around the Guelaguetza. We felt perfectly safe and so happy and lucky to be there!!! Susana Trilling's cooking class at Seasons of My Heart is a great day event. We agree with the last 10 reviews from "mixed" to the many excellent reviews. The toilet seat in our room has been crooked since 2005!!! Someday it might be fixed and someday they might get some new chairs. We wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. And The Casa's and Oaxaca's Day of the Dead event is fantastic.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed there at the end of June. The grounds were beautiful, the staff
very helpful, and we felt safe the whole time we were in Oaxaca.
The Plaza was within walking distance.
The breakfast was very good, and you can arrange to have other meals there also.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Nassau, New Providence Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I stayed at Casa Colonial July 21 -28, 2012. The weekend I arrived and during the week I was there, Oaxaca was a buzz with nightly activites in connection with the annual Guelaguetza Dance Festival. The Casa is centrally located with a Supermarket and Bank to exchange currency right around the corner. I was travelling alone and found Oaxaca to be quite safe to walk the streets. The Casa is truly a place of tranquility. The rooms were cleaned daily and breakfast was served promptly at 8am with the ringing of the bell. There is a library with something for everyone and for the novel readers, there are books in English for your reading pleasure. For those of who must bring work with them or have to constantly check emails, there is free wi-fi. The Casa also had an ample supply of purified water for drinking and to brush your teeth. There is also a hot water cooler to make tea/coffee all hours of the day and night and also a fridge to store and keep your drinks cold.

Room Tip: My room was between the hot water cooler and the dining room. An excellent location to be able to s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I just came back from a one month stay at Casa Colonial. This was my 6th summer at the Casa and my 7th stay there.

I go back to the Casa every year for a number of reasons. First, the staff could not be sweeter. At this point, I feel like I am staying with my friends at my summer place versus a hotel. Second, there is something about the Casa that makes people bond. I've made some life long friends who I now plan my stay with year after year. Third, although the food in Oaxaca is great, I have a very sensitive stomach. The Casa's wonderful cook makes me three meals a day. No need for those Pepto Bismol tablets! Fourth, the Casa has always gone out of its way to help local artisans promote their work. The Casa is full of beautiful crafts. The management often has area artisans come by. It is a terrific way to get to know people to visit later in their homes. One year, I met two woodcarvers and we formed a friendship. Several months later I published a children's book using their work.

The Casa is a very special place. Can't imagine staying anywhere else!

Room Tip: Rooms over by the tiendita seem quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed at the casa for 10 days recently and loved every minute of it. My room, the grounds, the cooking, the library, the other guests, the staff, the owner...from start to finish it was just exactly what I had imagined (and hoped) Oaxaca would be like. It is an oasis within the city. A serene place to come home to each day. My room was beautiful. The library is more of a folk art museum with an impressive array of wonderful books. And it is open for your use anytime of the day or night. There is no lack of things to do if you never left the place. Plus there was the perfect blend of sun and shade...wonderful mature gardens to enjoy, plenty of outdoor tables and chairs on cool patios. Incredibly clean and comfortable in every way. I would be happy staying here for months at a time.

Room Tip: If you like morning light, ask for a sunny room. As an artist, this place has lots of places to work...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Colonial? Share your experiences!