“Great value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 110 Hotels in Oaxaca
Driftwood, TX
“Great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Friendly, professional staff, immaculately clean, well-located, and well-priced. Beautiful Dia de los Muertos altar. Restaurant is very good. Excellent location--easy walk to Centro and across from the Parque Juarez, which is filled with runners, Sunday Zumba dancers, and a nice Friday market.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank CynthiaDriftwood_TX

Athens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

After been stranded for 6 hours (blocked by the taxi drivers in mid July- a labour action- thus ask in advance whether the centre is navigable) we discoved fine, humble hotel on colonial structure with fine rooms, properly air conditioned, *** quality excellent service and fine restaurant. The walk from the hotel to the central square allows ou to see a fair part of the popular sites. Priced at a fraction of the nearby Holiday Inn which was an american meteorite. We extended our stay because of the quality of the hotel which lacked all the illustrious paraphernalia offered in high-end doll-houses. Bravo!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Bardangas
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel at least a dozen times in the past fifteen years and I have always been very happy with it. The location is perfect -- close enough to the city center to walk there easily and far enough away to escape the noise at night. Beds are comfortable, the staff is helpful and friendly, and the restaurant has a really nice location, especially sitting on the porch across from Juarez Park, which is quite lovely. There is a computer in the lobby for guests and a free newspaper under your door in the morning. Casona del Llano has become my home away from home in the city of my heart, Oaxaca!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank magicas
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

This was my first time to Oaxaca and it more than lived up to my expectations. I traveled around Mexico for three weeks and this was by far the cleanest room I had. It was spacious and had higher ceilings than I expected. My room was right off the main courtyard and was nice to be able to open my window to see the fountain in the morning. I wish I had thought about taking pictures!

The hotel restaurant was very convenient and had a wide variety of options for things to eat and drink. I really did not have much time to eat there because I was so busy, but I did have their hot chocolate and vanilla Atole which I really liked. In regards to location, I did not mind that I had to walk ten minutes to the Zocalo. The location of this hotel is perfect to me. Right across the street is a large park where people were running early in the morning and late at night. Sometimes there are food vendors. I was disappointed to see mostly hot dog vendors though. I was looking for more authentic Oaxacan fare or mexican food in general. On the same side of the street at the end of the block there is a Wings restaurant if you prefer. There is a bus that you can take from the next block all the way to the center near the mercado if you are too tired to walk. The mercado has wonderful places to eat too.

The hotel offered tours that go all day or half day. I HIGHLY recommend taking at least one if you want to see any of the historical parts of Oaxaca. I can't remember the exact cost but it was very reasonable because we saw other places offering the same tour for more. The rate the hotel gives is for guests. My favorite one was the all day tour that started in Monte Alban. I think it was 250 pesos per person, but don't quote me!

The staff of the hotel was very courteous and friendly and more than willing to be accomodating. We checked out in the morning but our flight was not until 10pm and they let us leave our luggage in a secure area and let us come in and out to relax and sit after walking around town. I really appreciated that. I will be coming back to this hotel!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bespin13
Puerto Escondido, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

If you don't mind being several blocks from the heart of Oaxaca — the Zocalo — this hotel is ideal. We had a large room with comfortable beds, just off a nice courtyard in which we were greeted on arrival by the voices of dozens of birds. Free parking, a good restaurant and directly across from El Llano park make this hotel an excellent choice. And the room rate was just over $53 US. The lobby and restaurant are in an older part of the building than the rooms, and the design and decor is very attractive.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
San Antonio,TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

A friend and I came to Oaxaca to visit my daughter,who is in Mexico for a entended time period,we had heard good things about La Casona from a friend who has stayed there for 20 yrs when he visits Oaxaca ,so we took his advice and were not disappointed,our stay could not have been better,we loved the people and the town !

• Liked — The location and the ambience
  • Disliked — The beds were a little hard for my old bones! But not too bad!
  • Stayed January 2009
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank MacathGA
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2008

A very nice hotel within a historical house. Very nicely kept and clean the staf is courteus and is across form a nice park frquented by locals. It is within walking distance to the zocalo.

• Liked — The location and loks of the old house
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)