“SO much better than a Holiday Inn Express in the UK. I'd 4.5 it if I could” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Centro Historico Oaxaca

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #17 of 111 Hotels in Oaxaca
Brighton, United Kingdom
“SO much better than a Holiday Inn Express in the UK. I'd 4.5 it if I could”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

I went to Mexico thinking this would be the worst of the 4 hotels we were due to stay in, and it ended up being the best by far. I've stayed in a couple of these in the UK and they've been awful but I loved it!
We arrived at 6.50am after an overnight bus expecting just to drop our bags but they had a room ready and let us check in for no extra charge which was excellent.
The room was HUGE! Two big double beds, sofa, desk area and the shower was probably the biggest I have ever been in, bigger than a double. There was also a safe, coffee percolator, aircon and mini balcony - none of which you will get in the UK version of an Express.
Rooms black out completely at night and the only noise transference was from noisy guests in the corridor. Great night's sleep.
Breakfast was good for a buffet though I have had better (they are a bit slow refilling the hot food when it's gone and it goes cold very quickly). That's pretty much the only fault I could find. You may perhaps want to be a bit nearer town but it's an easy and very safe 10-15min walk (this is obviously a middle class residential area) and a very easy walk to the 1st class bus station.
My biggest annoyance was probably the other guests - it caters to a lot of tour groups who all breakfast at the same time so you are sometimes forced out to the patio.
I'd definitely stay here again

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Brownsville Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel for the past 7 days and have another 2 to go. This is an excellent hotel and the best Holiday Inn I have ever stayed at. The hotel is at full capacity with both international visitors, many families and business travelers such as myself. The beautiful city of Oaxaca is in its busiest tourism season which is the celebration of Dios de Los Muertos. First of all the staff is first class. I have never seen such a hands on General Manager in any hotel I have visited. Carlos leads his staff by example. Most GM's bury them selfs behind a desk and are rarely seen. Today Carlos was serving his guests their breakfast.
This is the only business class hotel in Oaxaca. My laptop went down and I did not look forward to using the computers in the business center. I was pleasantly surprised to find the computers in perfect condition and the business center staff very accommodating to my needs.

Staff - first class
Condition of the hotel - perfect
Location - excellent
Breakfast - great with some local dishes included
Business center-excellent
Pool - nice
Thank you Carlos and staff. The Holiday Inn Oaxaca is the only hotel I will stay at when I return in 6 months.

Room Tip: The junior suits are a good value.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Amman, Jordan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

If you have a big family and would like to stay at this hotel... DON'T! They are not family friendly. We had a really bad experience there. Originally, we reserved for two nights and we only stayed for one night because it was too late in the evening and we did not want to drag our little kids around to find another hotel. However, we did check out for the following day and had found a wonderful hotel that was closer to the Zocalo and everything else and had a great time there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Centro Historico Oaxaca, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Ashley Y,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. We would like to follow up and further address your concerns. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional information about your stay.

Myrna M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Oaxaca for 4 nights in July, 2012.

Check In: Easy and fast, even though we arrived very late. I was given the option to pay in full at check in or check out, and chose to do so at check in. We were given our room key (they only offer one, ask for a second one if you need and they'll be happy to give it to you) the code for Wi-Fi access, a brief run down of breakfast times and a walking map of Oaxaca.

Room: *Note: there is a key holder located next to the door when you enter the room. You must insert a room key and leave it there in order to use the lights in the room.

We were in a standard room with a king sized bed. The room had a desk, small couch/love seat, two bed side tables with 1 drawer each, a closet and a wardrobe that housed the TV and included an additional 4 drawers. The bed came with 4 pillows (2 firm, 2 soft, although we found that the labeling wasn't always consistent with what was actually in the case). The bed was large, but about the consistency of a gym mat. Rather hard for our taste, but that seems to be par for the course in this part of the world.

The bathroom is in two parts, the sink in one area and the toilet and giant granite shower in the second behind a door. The shower was truly huge, and while it drained a bit slowly it was overall very nice. Two bottles of water are included daily when housekeeping makes up the room. You can purchase more from the front desk, but we found it more economical to purchase our water elsewhere and bring it back with us.

There are two toilet paper holders, but they only replace the tissue when it is 100% gone. We took to asking the front desk for an extra roll on our way back up to the room at night.

Breakfast: Standard continental breakfast with some local flavor thrown in. Scrambled eggs (add ins changed every other day), ham, bacon, rolls, cereal, fruit (GIANT trays of papaya, I was in heaven), pastries coffee etc. I highly recommend the hot chocolate. It was fantastic, and the staff was attentive and quick to clear plates for you.

Location: The Holiday Inn is about 4 blocks north of Santa Domingo, and within easy walking distance to the Zocalo. The city is quite walkable. We are not particularly athletic, and we had no problems walking to our destinations. It's a 20 - 30 minute taxi ride to/from the airport.

Tours/Taxi service: We did not book a tour with the hotel, but we did have them call us a taxi to take us to Monte Alban. The desk called us a driver (affiliated with the hotel, and I highly recommend having them call you a cab as opposed to hailing one off the street), and arranged to have him take us up to Monte Alban and return for us in two hours. The fare was I believe 120 pesos each way, and our driver was waiting for us at the entrance to Monte Alban when we came out. We also scheduled a taxi to take us back to the airport on our last day.

Check Out: We had a ridiculously early check out (5:00 a.m.). We simply turned in our keys, they checked to make sure we had no charges, and we were escorted to our taxi that was already waiting.

Overall we had a lovely stay at the Holiday Inn. While it doesn't have as much character as some of the other options in Oaxaca, the amenities and staff made for a wonderful trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Excellent location, free good breakfast (please, taste chilaquiles), employees very amicable... The whole hotel is decorated with original art from an oaxacan artist, the paintings are for sale directly from the autor.
You can walk to many atractions such museums,churches, markets,etc.
Highly recomended.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

We stayed here for 3 days while exploring the area and town with the kids. The staff was very friendly and the boys loved the pool!

Room Tip: We had a room to the back overlooking the car park, but that was actually good as it was quiet and a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The attention from staff and employees, as soon as we arrive until we left, was superb. Very helpful, charming and effective. Every suggestion or tip was perfect. They made reservations for all our tours and events at Oaxaca. We were staying at the Intercontinental Presidente in Mexico DF and we were very impress with this hotel. We were not expecting it to be so great.
Congratulations. If we come back to Oaxaca definitely we will stay again in this same hotel.

Room Tip: I have a corner suite and it was big and sunny. No noise at all.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Centro Historico Oaxaca? Share your experiences!