My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Oaxaca for 4 nights in July, 2012.
Check In: Easy and fast, even though we arrived very late. I was given the option to pay in full at check in or check out, and chose to do so at check in. We were given our room key (they only offer one, ask for a second one if you need and they'll be happy to give it to you) the code for Wi-Fi access, a brief run down of breakfast times and a walking map of Oaxaca.
Room: *Note: there is a key holder located next to the door when you enter the room. You must insert a room key and leave it there in order to use the lights in the room.
We were in a standard room with a king sized bed. The room had a desk, small couch/love seat, two bed side tables with 1 drawer each, a closet and a wardrobe that housed the TV and included an additional 4 drawers. The bed came with 4 pillows (2 firm, 2 soft, although we found that the labeling wasn't always consistent with what was actually in the case). The bed was large, but about the consistency of a gym mat. Rather hard for our taste, but that seems to be par for the course in this part of the world.
The bathroom is in two parts, the sink in one area and the toilet and giant granite shower in the second behind a door. The shower was truly huge, and while it drained a bit slowly it was overall very nice. Two bottles of water are included daily when housekeeping makes up the room. You can purchase more from the front desk, but we found it more economical to purchase our water elsewhere and bring it back with us.
There are two toilet paper holders, but they only replace the tissue when it is 100% gone. We took to asking the front desk for an extra roll on our way back up to the room at night.
Breakfast: Standard continental breakfast with some local flavor thrown in. Scrambled eggs (add ins changed every other day), ham, bacon, rolls, cereal, fruit (GIANT trays of papaya, I was in heaven), pastries coffee etc. I highly recommend the hot chocolate. It was fantastic, and the staff was attentive and quick to clear plates for you.
Location: The Holiday Inn is about 4 blocks north of Santa Domingo, and within easy walking distance to the Zocalo. The city is quite walkable. We are not particularly athletic, and we had no problems walking to our destinations. It's a 20 - 30 minute taxi ride to/from the airport.
Tours/Taxi service: We did not book a tour with the hotel, but we did have them call us a taxi to take us to Monte Alban. The desk called us a driver (affiliated with the hotel, and I highly recommend having them call you a cab as opposed to hailing one off the street), and arranged to have him take us up to Monte Alban and return for us in two hours. The fare was I believe 120 pesos each way, and our driver was waiting for us at the entrance to Monte Alban when we came out. We also scheduled a taxi to take us back to the airport on our last day.
Check Out: We had a ridiculously early check out (5:00 a.m.). We simply turned in our keys, they checked to make sure we had no charges, and we were escorted to our taxi that was already waiting.
Overall we had a lovely stay at the Holiday Inn. While it doesn't have as much character as some of the other options in Oaxaca, the amenities and staff made for a wonderful trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Centro Historico Oaxaca is conveniently located in the Historical Center of the city just a short walk from promenade which leads to the town square (zÃ³calo). The beauty of this award winning hotel is complemented with an art gallery of original oil paintings from the most renowned Oaxacan artists. All our rooms and suites feature remote-controlled air conditioning, hair dryer, coffeemaker, iron and ironing board, telephone with two lines and data port. Express Breakfast (American Breakfast Buffet), business center, heated outdoor swimming pool, indoor parking on premise and special events hall with capacity for up to 170 persons are additional facilities and services offered by the hotel. The Holiday Inn Express Oaxaca represents a style of service and hospitality that is traditional to the State of Oaxaca. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Centro Historico Oaxaca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Centro Historico Oaxaca Hotel Oaxaca
- Holiday Inn Express Oaxaca
- Holiday Inn Oaxaca