“Decent, nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 110 Hotels in Oaxaca
Los Angeles, CA
“Decent, nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel is just outside the ring road and near nothing special, but a quick cab ride or moderate walk to major attractions. Can be quiet, or noisy during a weekend if your room faces a party next door or downstairs. Nice breakfast buffet; dinner was unremarkable. Rooms are spacious and decently appointed; air conditioning unit worked fine; shower only (no tub, not that I ever use one). #1 complaint is that the wireless internet works at LESS than dial-up speeds. Power went out for 20-30 minutes during a storm, but the room was equipped with a candle & matches (obviously a regular occurrence!). Overall, the only reason to stay here would be price or a meeting.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Location - on the edge of the historic centre, easy walk to Zocolo. Very quiet.
Staff - quite helpful.
Services - gym inadequate. Pool nice. Grounds very well kept with gardens that give the place a good feel. Restaurant had good breakfast and the one meal that I had there was good. It seemed very popular with locals during my stay which made it much more interesting than most hotel restaurants and must say something for the food.
Room - a little rundown but very clean. Bed was very comforable and the size of the room was good.
Summary - this is a good budget hotel and I enjoyed my stay.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here this past May, we had a standard king size bed, the room was very clean, as was the bed, but honestly the best part was the closet (it was huge), and for me (a woman who travels with everything, was the best). The bathroom was a good size, always clean, big towels, and asked for more and had no problems. The room had air conditioning, it wasn't very cold, but it worked. The best feature is the hotel restaurant, in the morning they have buffet with everything you want, fruit, cereal, Mexican cuisine etc. We had dinner there and the best Tortilla soup and Caldo Tlalpeño, it's a 5 star restaurant. The hotel has a big swimming pool, although it wasn't really clean, but we understand, because it is surrounded by a lot of trees and it is virtually impossible to keep the leaves from getting in, but after a days walk in the hot weather it's a cooling relief to enjoy.it is walking distance to Zocalo, we walked there every day about a 10 min. walk. At night we took taxi to go for dinner and they charge 35 or 40 pesos. Every time we called front desk they were supper attentive and friendly, they gave us a map of the city and helped us get around the first day. Overall we had one of the best stays here, we hope you enjoy too.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We arrived at Mision de Los Angeles without very high expectations. We had originally booked another hotel for the three first days of the week of El Dia de Muertos but learnt three weeks later (the emails had been going into my spam) that the hotel had overbooked for that period. By that time, there were very few hotel rooms left in Oaxaca so we expected to have only basic accomodations.

Instead, we fell in love with this hotel. The grounds are absolutely lovely. There is a huge swimming pool with an outside bar. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant has excellent food. The breakfast buffet, which features a large array of typical Oaxacan dishes which change everyday, was a real treat. On Wednesday - Sunday mornings there is live music.

Granted there are some drawbacks. The colorful tiles in the bathrooms are a little chipped. Also, the towels could be better. However, we enjoyed this hotel so much more than the more luxurious hotel where we stayed for the last two days of our stay. Mision de los Angeles has real soul, unlike so many other hotels. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Our room was quite cool during one of the nights of our stay which could be a problem during the win...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

This is a gorgeous mission style architecture hotel with modern lines and lovely grounds. 60s Hotel California vibe. BUT. It's clear that the owners/management simply don't care about the basic needs of guests. Hospitality, convenience, comfort. It's all so awkward. And frustrating.

There are 5 bellman at check in and one person at the front desk. All overwhelmed by the two parties checking in. I was asked if I had booked 2 rooms for 2 people. No. He then showed me the $80/nt room rate plus taxes which was not the $65/nt rate which I had a confirmation for. He just took my email print out and said he'd talk to someone. Whatever. It's Mexico. Back in the room, I find that I have no towels. I call the front desk. Ask the bartender at the pool, she says. Um, No. I'm not going swimming, I'd like to wash up after an 8 hour travel day. In that case, someone will bring you towels. They are of the exfoliating variety. The kind my dad used to wash the car with. Torn on the edges and bleached by kiln apparently. They are rivaled only by the sheets which I guess are the only thing to compliment a very HARD bed. Be forewarned. It is NOT comfort they are going for. It's ok, but I like a firm bed and this is beyond my threshold. I've made a pile with the extra blankets from the extra bed to kind of soften the blow.

You WANT Mision de Los Angeles to work. It's pretty and off the beaten path so a bit more quiet and less dusty than the centro--but with all the men with giant brooms seemingly following you around to kick up more dust than a street sweeper in Brooklyn, you'll barely notice the fresh air. It's sad. I wish I could buy it. Give the staff some direction, training, and common sense. There is a restaurant and bar that could have been in it's heyday a really cool spot. Now it's like a nursing home. They outfit their entire resto staff in hairnets from host to barman. It's humiliating. Like dogs in dresses they all look uncomfortable. The kitchen staff trumps this with face masks and gloves, looking like they are hospital workers. VERY unappetizing. It's all in some futile attempt to make the gringo feel okay about the swine flu a few years ago? Silly. Pointless. And no more hygienic. As a 20 yr food professional I'd like to remind everyone that it's just as easy to scratch your butt or handle bloody chicken parts with a gloved hand and cross contaminate as it is to do with a naked hand.

The food is, in a word, dismal. I love to have a full service restaurant at my hotel, it makes it easy to not source every single meal out from the street...easy stuff like breakfast, sandwiches on the go, good classic Oaxacan fare---a bottle of wine up to the room? But NO. They say they have room service but in the 4 meals I've had in the dining room (virtually ALONE) it has taken hours to eat. I can't imagine having it delivered? Literally 40 minutes this AM for Huevos Rancheros which any line cook in America can make at a waffle house, and this is Mexico and it came out as the soggiest wettest fare I've eaten. I don't know what they did to it but it was inedible. And you pay for it. Nothing is included. The waiter asked if I wanted fruit with my eggs, I said yes, he brought a big plate of papaya and I ate a little and asked for it to go (I speak Spanish as well) and it never arrived back...he had thrown it away. So $15 later, no fruit, inedible eggs. Dirty coffee. Sigh. Ditto dinners. Appetizers. Drinks. It's all so exhausting. I'm bummed because I love to eat, go upstairs, do some work, go out with friends later...

But they are ill equipped for any sort of service. No fridge in the room so you can't grab beers or bring home snacks. No glasses to drink from and asking at the bar takes an act of congress. Bottle opener? Forget it. Everything must be requested. Water. Matches. Menu. Chair for balcony. Internet password. it's like they forgot they were a hotel. I wish they'd just charge another $15 bucks a night and be on par with the rest of the 3stars in the area. It's stupid the stuff they offer and what they have overlooked. It's like children furnished the room. A big flat screen TV with all sorts of silly Spanish dubbed English TV and whacky Mexican variety shows but not ONE plug to charge cell phone and computer. I have to do it in the bathroom. Which is nice and big, but with the crappy towels and a torn cheap vinyl shower curtain. There are CF bulbs for everything and it gives that kind of creepy pallor to everything from vanity to bar seats. There is no life here and worse yet, they play elevator music and clearly only have one CD. I've heard My Way on harp no fewer than 6 times in 3 days. The server said it's been like that for YEARS. I feel sorry for the staff. On many levels. It is a long walk to town and not the easy stroll kind but kind of the part main hwy kind. Just save yourself and take a $4 cab. It's easy to get turned around (I've been here 5 times) and you may end up in a barrio that isn't what you wanted. The front desk seems confused and alarmed that anyone would ask for anything. A map. A taxi. Directions. Money exchange.

Essentially it just feels that no one cares. I asked 3x for a lightbulb to be changed in the stairwell to my room...as it's impossible to see. Nothing. I was finally given a flashlight for the tricky stroll on cobbles back to my room. This is just stupidity. Woman traveling alone, let's put her in some dark building WAY off the main hotel with those potholes in the sidewalk that we won't fix. I won't stay here again, I wouldn't care if it were free. I get limited time on vackay, and I just don't need the headaches. I think the bang for buck in oaxaca is to rent an apt for the stay. you'll save on food and frustration and be more comfy in the long run.

Room Tip: second floor over the pool is pretty quiet, just bring all your own comforts
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

This hotel is about 8 blocks from Oaxaca's city center which makes it a great location when you want to be near downtown but not in the middle of it. It has many two stories buildings spread in a wide area with lots of well kept gardens.
It's very well connected to go other attractions as Mitla, Monte Alban, Santo Tomas, etc.
Service in the restaurant is fantastic!!! one of the best I've found. Food is good as Oaxaca is know as being one of the regions with best Mexican food. (which has been awarded as a World Heritage).
The only downside of the hotel is that some rooms can be a bit noisy.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

The hotel has beautiful grounds. The rooms are nicely furnished. My main complaints is that the "free" wifi did not reach many of the rooms at all, so we had to take our computers/PDAs to the lobby for access. Also, the hot water was spotty.

The walk to the center of town is not bad, and there are actually plenty of restaurants and nice things to do within one or two blocks of the hotel.

The pool was well-maintained and pleasant.

• Stayed July 2010

Been to Mision de Los Angeles? Share your experiences!