“Great site in Oaxaca” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 110 Hotels in Oaxaca
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Great site in Oaxaca”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Camino Real or as well Quinta Real is lovely located only one and a half blocks away from the gorgeous church San Domingo. The site is beautiful. Each time we go to the south of Mexico, we stay one night in Oaxaca and never regret to spend an evening and night at the gourmet temple of Mexico.

This time we chose Quinta Real as I knew the hotel from a former business trip. This time however, we were a little bit disappointed on the size of the room. We stayed at a normal two bed room and it was well equipped but very small. We went out for dinner. Next morning we had breakfast at the hotel and it was very nice - but nothing special. Service was friendly but slow, so in the end, we expected a bit more for a five star hotel.

Nevertheless, we enjoyed our stay very much due to the great location. Else, be aware of the missing parking possibilities and no valet parking offered at the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
San Jose, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed here 7 nights.

It wasn't so much a hotel as a place where everyone in town comes to see how beautiful the hotel is. They put me in a nice room near the fountain where the nuns washed their clothing. That means people were literally sitting on the window sill outside my room having a picnic or standing outside my door holding photo shoots all day long and nights, too. Kids were running up and down the lawn screaming day and night. There are three courtyards. One has a pool. Kids are screaming, running around with water guns, and jumping in the pool, whenever the sun is shining on the deck - until around 2 p.m. The next courtyard is where the restaurant is. Kids run up and down screaming in that courtyard and playing with the fountain while their parents are dining. The third courtyard is where the fountain is where the nuns washed their clothing, and everyone in town makes noise there. As far as I could see, all of the rooms are around the courtyards.

The window shutters make the room pitch dark, so there are lamps in the rooms to give you light. If you can leave the shutters open there will be natural light. I couldn't leave the shutters open - ever - because of the tourists right outside my room.

There are a couple of tv channels in English, like CNN and sometimes HBO or one other channel, but it's not a place to watch tv.

In the afternoon after the kids go away and the poolside is tranquil, it was really beautiful at the pool. The weather was perfect in December and there is poolside food service. I enjoyed that a lot.

The bed was very firm, so I slept well most nights. The sheets are a bit rough. The folks who cleaned the room remembered to refresh my water bottles about half the time.

I saw the folk dance show. It was quaint. Some of the dancers seemed like they hadn't done it before as many of the steps were not in synch with all of the dancers.

The people who work at the hotel seems to try very hard to make people happy. When I called about the water bottles, one day I received them quickly. Another day I called and didn't receive them, and then went to the front desk to ask for them and still did not receive them. I never received them that day. The front desk was helpful with helping me make plans. They connected me with a good driver to take us to Mitla for the day. The driver's name was Jesus and we liked him a lot.

If I spend over $300 a night at a hotel in a place where $300 is a LOT of money, I expect a nice room with nice light and quiet. I would expect a nice poolside without kids firing off water machine guns and screaming. If you are bringing your kids, maybe you won't mind the noise at all.

The location is really great.

Room Tip: Definitely get the interior room and try not to get a room near the fountain.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel setting is absolutely gorgeous. When we first arrived, we had breakfast in the garden serenaded by a mariachi band. It was lovely. The breakfast buffet on Sunday was very good. We stayed in a family room - i.e. two double beds - as we have young kids and whilst the room was comfortable it was very small. Aside from breakfast, food in the restaurant was not very good so I would definitely recommend venturing out to eat for lunch and at night. Service was friendly but slow.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Pleasant Valley, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Last time around Oaxaca we did Casa de Oaxaca ... a wonderful boutique hotel.
In our exploration of the historic centre we stumbled into the Convento and we in awe
of the architecture. My wife and I said if we return then we should stay here and we did
for 4 nights. Expensive but the same price as the wonderfully mentioned previous hotel
and the room for a 17th century building are exactly as expected so not a complaint.

But the atmosphere, the aura, the feeling ... and the Mexicans agree as ever 15 year old
princess was dragged in their for photos and the wedding hall ... our friends daughter told her
dad that this was the stop for her wedding.

The courts, the hallways, the hall of history, the stencilling ... a joy with each passage.

And the dining room was on par with our Venice hotel 2 years ago (Room With A View movie location) .... stunning.
We loved eating our great breakfast everyday in this room.

So what does one expect for a room in a 17th century building?!?
I was there for the ambience and that is what I received in Aces.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
harrisville, utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is a great hotel. We stayed here in Oct 2012 .This is a unique hotel that was originally built as a convent. Convenient, clean, comfortable rooms. I do not rent cars in other countries so parking is not an issue. The staff throughout the hotel were great to deal with, speaking English. Someone else's review of this hotel is NOT the experience that we had here, just the opposite. The resturant had great food. The outer rooms have street noise but it doesn't go on all night. The Friday night dinner show is not to be missed and to wander the halls to see the different courtyards is worth spending some time doing also. Read the blue sign out front on the sidewalk that tells the history of the convent. I highly recommend this hotel. It's a good base for seeing the sights around Oaxaca.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool area are quieter if you are not going to the dinner shows.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great property. Good service. Slow internet. Breakfast was delicious. We attended a great event/dinner in a fantastic hall. Great hotel to go with a corporate group or with your spouse. Location is perfect. No parking is too bad.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Maryville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and I just returned from five nights at the Camino Real in Oaxaca and we loved it. We splurged for a Jr Suite because it was our 25th anniversary and we have no regrets. We had no problem with noise, but we requested an interior room. There were some renovations in the lobby while we were there, and there was a wedding, but we were bothered by neither.

The staff was amazing - every one of them. We especially enjoyed Pedro in the bar and our housekeeper Arianna.

The food at the hotel was some of the best we had in Oaxaca. Unbelievable breakfast every day. It's chilly at breakfast, but I don't often get to eat outside in a restored convent in a beautiful garden!

We've been to Mexico several times, and love all of the places we've visited there, but Oaxaca was a standout. I took a cooking class in Spanish with a wonderful local woman that was one of my favorite travel experiences ever (contact me at padham@knoxpeds.com in you want info).

I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: inside corridor
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Quinta Real Oaxaca? Share your experiences!