“Very nice place to stay in Oaxaca” 5 of 5 stars

Los Pilares Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Curtidurias 721-A | Col. Jalatlaco, Oaxaca, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 108 Hotels in Oaxaca
Moscow, Russia
“Very nice place to stay in Oaxaca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

The hotel is situated in very well maintained colonial-style building. Situated not in the center but in walking distance to all main attractions. Roof top dinning area and small swimming pool. Room was clean and comfortable. English is in most cases chalenge for local people to communicate. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Free parking is a plus. We enjoied staying in this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I would think twice about staying here. The people are quite rude (passive aggressive) and the pictures are very different from reality. There are better places in Oaxaca - don't settle for this one. Be careful of what they say and what they charge. If you have to stay, use cash so you know exactly what you are paying.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bruxelles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The hotel is cute, quite and nicely decorated. The bathroom is very clean, cosy and well equiped. And this is it! I spent there only one night but I was charged for two! Why? Because of early checking in. We wouldn't check in earlier if we were informed about extra costs so finally we felt cheated. Just after checking out we wanted to leave our luggages and go to the city centre but we were informed that it's not possible unless we pay for the next night! Finally they accepted to keep our backpacks for free..!. Moreover, the hotel is relatively far from centre so next time we will certainly find another place to stay.
P.S. The staff speaks very bad English and food could be better (especially for the price you pay).
Bad impression remains...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sayulita, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Okay, I'll admit that three stars is a bit rough for Hotel Los Pilares, I wish there was a three-and-a-half star option. After all, this hotel is clean, well run, and quiet. Rooms are adequate, bedding is nice enough and staff is friendly, if a bit shy.

While we didn't have any major inconveniences, my thoughts were that I'd probably try a different hotel if/when I return to Oaxaca. Why? Little things like: hot water that takes more than five minutes to warm up; having to ask the breakfast waiter four times for milk for the coffee, a long-ish walk to downtown sites, cramped space in room and especially the bathroom (depends on the room, I'll admit -- our last night we moved to a room that had a nice large soaking tub), and a cozy bar in the courtyard that never seemed to be open. We chose the hotel largely because we saw that it has a pool, and we hoped the children could splash around in the afternoons. The pool turned out to be very small with murky, chilly water.

Am I nitpicking? Yes. But that doesn't change the fact that we'll try someplace different. Who knows, maybe I'll come to appreciate Pilares more!

Room Tip: Ask to see a room or two before moving in. Our first floor room was cramped, but we moved to a room...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We recently stayed 6 nights at this hotel. We loved the ambience and the staff were extremely helpful and went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. We chose this hotel because of the quiet location, about 10 blocks from the zocolo, approximately a 10-15 minute walk, so noise was not an issue. Our room was fairly large, with a firm king size bed, a refridgerator in the room, and a good bathroom with a strong shower. There is a restaurant upstairs which serves a good breakfast, not included in the room price, but is inexpensive. The hotel does arrange day trips with a car and driver who speaks good English. I would definitely stay here again. It is great value for the money.

Room Tip: We liked it because it was far enough away from the zocolo to not be noisey, but close enough to enj...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

What a gem of a hotel! This lovely lodging is located several blocks from the Zocalo. We enjoyed our daily walks (great for burning off all that Oaxacan cheese, tequila and chocolate), and really appreciated the peace and quiet of our surroundings at Los Pilares.

Our room was beautiful and immaculate, with a lovely bathroom, king bed, TV, mini-fridge, A/C, and just off our bedroom, a jetted tub complete with candles and bubble bath! (Not all rooms have the tub, but it was worth the little bit extra we paid for it.) Fresh bottled water appeared in our room daily.

The atmosphere was exquisite. The hotel is always filled with gorgeous, sweet-scented lilies, with candles burning in the entry way. There is a pretty bar set up inside the hotel on the main level (not noisy at all!) and we enjoyed a nightcap there,

The breakfast on the upstairs terrace was always delicious, with friendly service. We were surrounded by pretty plants and flowers. One of my morning favourites was the squash-blossom stuffed crepes with poblano sauce and Oaxacan cheese, and I drank delicious chocolate caliente every morning. The papaya was also excellent.

There is also a small pool and hot tub on the roof terrace. We didn't get to try them but they looked inviting.

I can't say enough good things about the staff. They are highly professional, attentive and welcoming, always with smiles on their faces. When we returned at night, the fellow at the front desk would often be waiting right at the entrance with our room keys. He must have heard us coming up the street! Such attention to detail. They really aim to please here.

I brought along teabags on this trip, as I find it difficult to get a decent cup of tea in Mexico. My hubby would go off with teabag, and the front desk staff would obligingly boil some water and get milk for my tea. I was spoiled by both spouse and staff.

It's a small thing, but I also really appreciated the good lighting in our room. I have never seen so many light switches in a hotel room! There were great reading lamps on either side of the bed, and a multitude of other lights to set the mood. No fluorescent glare in there!

We stayed at the hotel with two other friends and they were equally effusive about Los Pilares. If I return to Oaxaca, I will definitely stay here again. I can't say enough good things about the place. It's a gorgeous oasis in the hubbub of Oaxaca.

Room Tip: The big jetted bathtub is worth the extra pesos!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Very good value for the price, simple, clean and well located

• Stayed December 2011

Been to Los Pilares Hotel? Share your experiences!