“Not for me anymore” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Oaxaca
Bruxelles
“Not for me anymore”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The hotel is cute, quite and nicely decorated. The bathroom is very clean, cosy and well equiped. And this is it! I spent there only one night but I was charged for two! Why? Because of early checking in. We wouldn't check in earlier if we were informed about extra costs so finally we felt cheated. Just after checking out we wanted to leave our luggages and go to the city centre but we were informed that it's not possible unless we pay for the next night! Finally they accepted to keep our backpacks for free..!. Moreover, the hotel is relatively far from centre so next time we will certainly find another place to stay.
P.S. The staff speaks very bad English and food could be better (especially for the price you pay).
Bad impression remains...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars

Sayulita, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Okay, I'll admit that three stars is a bit rough for Hotel Los Pilares, I wish there was a three-and-a-half star option. After all, this hotel is clean, well run, and quiet. Rooms are adequate, bedding is nice enough and staff is friendly, if a bit shy.

While we didn't have any major inconveniences, my thoughts were that I'd probably try a different hotel if/when I return to Oaxaca. Why? Little things like: hot water that takes more than five minutes to warm up; having to ask the breakfast waiter four times for milk for the coffee, a long-ish walk to downtown sites, cramped space in room and especially the bathroom (depends on the room, I'll admit -- our last night we moved to a room that had a nice large soaking tub), and a cozy bar in the courtyard that never seemed to be open. We chose the hotel largely because we saw that it has a pool, and we hoped the children could splash around in the afternoons. The pool turned out to be very small with murky, chilly water.

Am I nitpicking? Yes. But that doesn't change the fact that we'll try someplace different. Who knows, maybe I'll come to appreciate Pilares more!

Room Tip: Ask to see a room or two before moving in. Our first floor room was cramped, but we moved to a room...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
6 Thank rbergeron3
Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We recently stayed 6 nights at this hotel. We loved the ambience and the staff were extremely helpful and went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. We chose this hotel because of the quiet location, about 10 blocks from the zocolo, approximately a 10-15 minute walk, so noise was not an issue. Our room was fairly large, with a firm king size bed, a refridgerator in the room, and a good bathroom with a strong shower. There is a restaurant upstairs which serves a good breakfast, not included in the room price, but is inexpensive. The hotel does arrange day trips with a car and driver who speaks good English. I would definitely stay here again. It is great value for the money.

Room Tip: We liked it because it was far enough away from the zocolo to not be noisey, but close enough to enj...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anne M
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

What a gem of a hotel! This lovely lodging is located several blocks from the Zocalo. We enjoyed our daily walks (great for burning off all that Oaxacan cheese, tequila and chocolate), and really appreciated the peace and quiet of our surroundings at Los Pilares.

Our room was beautiful and immaculate, with a lovely bathroom, king bed, TV, mini-fridge, A/C, and just off our bedroom, a jetted tub complete with candles and bubble bath! (Not all rooms have the tub, but it was worth the little bit extra we paid for it.) Fresh bottled water appeared in our room daily.

The atmosphere was exquisite. The hotel is always filled with gorgeous, sweet-scented lilies, with candles burning in the entry way. There is a pretty bar set up inside the hotel on the main level (not noisy at all!) and we enjoyed a nightcap there,

The breakfast on the upstairs terrace was always delicious, with friendly service. We were surrounded by pretty plants and flowers. One of my morning favourites was the squash-blossom stuffed crepes with poblano sauce and Oaxacan cheese, and I drank delicious chocolate caliente every morning. The papaya was also excellent.

There is also a small pool and hot tub on the roof terrace. We didn't get to try them but they looked inviting.

I can't say enough good things about the staff. They are highly professional, attentive and welcoming, always with smiles on their faces. When we returned at night, the fellow at the front desk would often be waiting right at the entrance with our room keys. He must have heard us coming up the street! Such attention to detail. They really aim to please here.

I brought along teabags on this trip, as I find it difficult to get a decent cup of tea in Mexico. My hubby would go off with teabag, and the front desk staff would obligingly boil some water and get milk for my tea. I was spoiled by both spouse and staff.

It's a small thing, but I also really appreciated the good lighting in our room. I have never seen so many light switches in a hotel room! There were great reading lamps on either side of the bed, and a multitude of other lights to set the mood. No fluorescent glare in there!

We stayed at the hotel with two other friends and they were equally effusive about Los Pilares. If I return to Oaxaca, I will definitely stay here again. I can't say enough good things about the place. It's a gorgeous oasis in the hubbub of Oaxaca.

Room Tip: The big jetted bathtub is worth the extra pesos!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Very good value for the price, simple, clean and well located

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Maupol
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Charming, old-fashioned and friendly little hotel with lovely staff and great service, a few minutes walk into the fascinating town of Oaxaca, crammed full of restaurants, bars, art galleries and craft shops. Five minutes walk the other way from the hotel is the town's cemetery - not usually something in favour of a hotel, but it was during the Day of the Dead celebrations at the beginning of November.

There was a beautiful altar of flowers, fruit and imitation skulls built in the hotel foyer when I arrived and as I relaxed by the little swimming pool on the first floor, sipping a cool Modelo Negro beer, I could already hear the bands warming up outside.

Soon traffic had ground to a horn-honking standstill as colourful parades, led by thumping brass bands, with dancing revellers dressed as skeletons, ghosts, monsters and all sorts of frightening devils and demons, began winding through the narrow streets.

Meanwhile down at the cemetery, they were having one helluva party to welcome back their deceased ancestors! There were certainly plenty of spirits there. Don't know about the Day of the Dead, but after being invited to drink several glasses of strong mescal, I felt half dead the following morning.

If you are in Mexico, I'd recommend a visit to Oaxaca - and stay at Los Pilares.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Mal-the-Hat
oaxaca, oaxaca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

Recently had a small tour group stay here of Day of the Dead. I expected the hotel to be great but it went way beyond. The hotel was full of fresh flowers, they had a beautiful altar, and the service was superb - they seemed to anticipate our needs, they did many extra things for the group and were always - I mean ALWAY - a pleasure to deal with.
The desk would call taxis ( 30 pesos) so no one felt that they we "out" of the center of things.

• Stayed October 2009