“Delightful owners, huge breakfast, great value for money” 5 of 5 stars

Casa Gigi Guest House
518 Las Rosas | Colonia Reforma, Oaxaca 68050, Mexico   |
Ranked #9 of 88 Specialty Lodging in Oaxaca
Sydney, Australia
“Delightful owners, huge breakfast, great value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I recently stayed 9 nights at the delightful B&B. My room was a good size, nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. The owners are so warm and friendly it just felt like being at home with family. They served me a huge breakfast every morning - yoghurt, granola, a big plate of fresh fruit, toast with jams, plunger coffee and even asked me if I wanted eggs! On my last day I left very early, they got up to see me off and even gave me some yoghurts to eat at the airport.
I can't speak highly enough of this B&B, it was excellent value for money and probably the best low-cost accommodation I have ever stayed in.
It is a little far from the town centre, about a 15-20min walk, but there are buses for 6 pesos. Colonia Reforma seems to be the nicest part of Oaxaca and had lots of good restaurants.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Families
Business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Thank you so much to Casa Gigi for looking after us for 5 nights over the Day of the Dead celebrations in Oaxaca. Gigi and her family were so kind to us and made us feel very welcome. When we arrived I had a very hot shower and there always was hot water. Gigi's English is fantastic! She helped translate the schedule for the Day of the Dead celebrations every day to us and told us everything we needed to know. We had a lovely fresh breakfast every morning and lots of coffee! The b&b is in a very nice part of Oaxaca, about 20 minute walk north of the centre but out of the hustle and bustle and in a very safe and affluent area. Gigi went out of her way to help us book trips and make calls for us for taxis and trips and made sure we paid correctly. The accomodation is simple, clean, quiet and very reasonable. They are very honest, genuine people. We felt very happy staying here and would not hesitate to highly reccomend it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Hello All, The Family at Casa Gigi is so welcoming and warm we stayed an extra week. Most the rooms open to a lovely courtyard with birds and a garden patio. The free breakfast and coffee in the morning were the best for an active day. It was just out of the busy and loud Zocalo/ downtown area in a safe neighborhood. It was just outside of the tourist district which was refreashing and more active with Oaxacan living. Everything we needed was in walking distance; great cafes, markets(5min), "El Doc" taquaria(5min), zocalo (15min), banking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Vito lo Capo, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Do not stay here. I travelled alone as a solo woman in January 2013. When I arrived I was the only guest. The female owner was cranky because I turned up several hours late from the bus, at about 9pm. She refused to boil water for a cup of tea (in fact, she said 'can't you get hot water from the shower?'). It's a long walk from the centre of town and there's nowhere to eat, unless you like eating American-style chicken wings in Mexico. In the morning, I said I was going to move. I'd booked for four nights and paid a deposit. I asked that that go towards my room bill. The owner was really hostile and said no - the deposit would be divided by four (as I'd booked for four nights) and only a quarter would be deducted from my bill. Then she tried to cheat me on the exchange rate, as I'd been unable to get any pesos the night before. I asked to see what calculations she made on her mobile phone. She and her daughter became furious, yelled at me, grabbed my arms, physically pushed me around. I speak Spanish fluently; language was not the problem. They shoved me back in the room and stood over me while I packed. I was shaking. I tried to give them the money *they* wanted for one night, because I was starting to get a very bad feeling about all of this and I just wanted to leave, but they refused to take anything and literally pushed me out of their (otherwise empty) hostel, yelling at me the whole time. Then they stood at the gate and glared at me walking up the road until I found a taxi to take me to another hostel. I was really shaken afterwards. I complained to the local tourism board, who couldn't believe it. Never, ever, stay here; these people are really horrible.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Georgina H, Owner at Casa Gigi Guest House, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
In response to this review we remember this individual very well, she made her reservation through hostelbookers where she paid a reservation deposit, she then argued that she had paid for the room which was not the case. She then tried to negotiate a lower rate as it was off season,

With regards to the hot water, she asked for hotwater and we assumed it was refering to the shower, she did not make it clear for a cup of tea, which we gave her even though it was midnight, ( We are just a bed and breakfast but trying accommodate where possible).

We found this lady rude, demanding and disruptive and we ask her to leave and refused to charge her for the room . This is the first time in over ten years of operation that we asked a client to leave.

You can see from our other recommendations from this and a number of other websides that our clients tent to be happy with our services as a simple bed and breakfast.

We will be greatful if this spiteful review could be edited or removed as it will have a negative effect on our business and I don't believe correctly reflects our hospitality.

Owner.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed here over Xmas and the hospitality of Gigi and her family are second to none. All the guests were invited to share in a Xmas Eve dinner with the family and it felt like we were with friends. When we were checking out the hosts were so kind to let us stay in our room until well into the evening as we had a late night bus to catch, without charging us another night - a rarity in many hotels or hostels! The rooms were always clean and the beds comfy, and the property had a nice garden to sit in. The family also had the cutest and friendliest little dog. The location is in a pretty neighbourhood, with cafes nearby, and it was an easy walk into the centre which was great for exercise. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed here over the New Year 2010/2011 The rooms are clean, comfortable and have a simple but traditional feel to them in terms of decor. The relaxed atmosphere of the garden area is great for chilling out. However, the best thing about this place are the owners. They invited me to share New Years Eve meal with them and their family, offered me a nice glass of wine and a chat and basically made me feel as if I was a friend rather than a guest. Breakfast was quality too.

The venue is a bit of a walk (7 mins) from the centre but that is a good thing. I would highly recommend this place and will stay there when I visit Oaxaca again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Casa gigi is a hidden gem. Family owned in a peaceful part of Oaxaca. Prices are good and breakfast, although simple, is good and plenty.
We stayed for three nights and liked the place immediately.

Would recommend going here to everybody!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Casa Gigi Guest House? Share your experiences!