“Bright and cheerful, good breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Posada Don Mario
Cosijopi 219, Oaxaca 68000, Mexico   |
Ranked #22 of 85 Specialty lodging in Oaxaca
as yet unknown
“Bright and cheerful, good breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

This was a charming place with nice decor and a good vibe. The daughter of the owner was particularly nice. The owner herself was a bit prickly, but maybe she was just stressed out. The rooms are all created equal, as some I believe don't have proper windows. Ours was gorgeous though and the best room in the place, with a little balcony on the second floor. The roof had a good view but wasn't comfortable for hanging out - it was just where they did the laundry. A charming courtyard and a good location - far enough away from the zocolo to be quiet, but not too far. The owner was a little bit unreasonable in that she wouldn't give us two sets of keys, but then got annoyed when once of us needed to be let in in the afternoons. We didn't do every single thing together, as we were there for two weeks. If you can't give two keys, fine, but don't get annoyed when someone then comes to the gate at 6pm, when you're open anyway. The place was clean although the bathrooms could have been seen to more regularly, given the high traffic.They play loud music all morning and in the evenings that you can't escape from. Stuff like Enya and cheesey love songs from the 80s ("It must have been love, but it's oooooverrrr nooooowwww", etc). This can be nice but, as its inescapable, also sometimes annoying. I would stay there again though. Its a great deal for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with windows that face the courtyard or the outside.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011 via mobile

We would definitely stay here again if we return to Oaxaca! The owners and staff were great to us. It's a family atmosphere and the breakfast was good too... hey, there's even a guitar there in the courtyard for you to play!

• Stayed November 2011
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Posada Don Mario is a quiet, comfortable, family-run guest house. I have stayed here several times over the years. If you are looking for something located in the historic center that is affordable and good value then I would recommend it. A pretty decent hot breakfast is included (I always chose the Mexican breakfast, not the continental). It's about 2.5 blocks from Santo Domingo, maybe 5 from the cathedral. It's clean. It has a nice sunny balcony and rooftop area where you can lounge. The staff is always very friendly and helpful with any kind of request. It is not a party hostel or even a hostel of any sort, it is a guesthouse. Most of the people I have seen there are couples or maybe a little older. I like it because I like to rest, read, get some work done in a peaceful quiet environment. I guess my only recommendation would be to ask for an extra blanket when you arrive since Oaxaca get's pretty chilly at night during certain months of the year.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

As I was about to post a review of my pleasant stay in Oaxaca, I noticed another...("like a cell").......I emphatically request that you remove it from your site...what sort of person writes a hit-piece about a $25 Mexican Posada?..
The inaccuracies contained in this venomous diatribe are reason enough to remove the review before it does fiscal damage to the victims of it, and discourages other visitors from visiting a very nice Posada.
I gladly take this opportunity to describe, accurately, the Posada Don Mario as I found it in June 2011.
In the 70's I would walk 5-10 K with my backpack just to save a buck, now I'll give that buck to a taxi driver, it's good for Mexico, and it's definately good for me. I consider the Posada Don Mario to be a well-spent $25. They don't pretend to be a suitcase hotel or the cheapest night's sleep in town, although the entirely satisfactory, (& complimentary) breakfast is a money saver and of equal importance perhaps, it brings the guests together in the morning for 'cultural exchange'. It is genuine comfort, care and service in a family-friendly environment. During my week there, two young backpacking couples with nursing babies' stayed with us, it was a delight, (they had been turned away from other places.) They are a family-owned-family-run Posada and La Senora and her daughter live there-it's their home. Posada Don Mario has a premium location, the perfect distance from the Zocalo, (quiet at night), a world-class view from the roof patio, good internet, fans, and everything is mopped everyday, usually by a Oaxacanera maid, returned from the US, where she lived for decades-she speaks fair English and is a good cook. The traditional, festive, Mexican pastel-palate is in full-play throughout, my room had coral and turquoise walls with purple acscents....muy alegre baby.!
It's highly educated staff includes a university degree in tourism. They are a class act and the only place in Oaxaca to respond to my email inquiries prior to my trip. Attentive to my every need, these smart, powerful, beautiful women run a very good business, and it's my new home in Oaxaca.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

This hotel is a charming little posada within walking distance of the zocalo. Norma and her staff are friendly and helpful. The price is reasonable and includes breakfast. The rooms are basic but clean and it is quiet. A room on the third floor will give you a 360 degree view of Oaxaca. The dramatic skies and sunsets are free!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Penrith, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

We had booked 3 nights here in a private room before we arrived, but left after only one night, mainly because our room was very poor. It was small and dark, and with twin beds, though we had booked a double. No other room was available. The blankets were inadequate to keep us warm, and as Norma is not at the hostel at night, we had to bear it.

Furthermore, the wifi was intermittent, no matter where you were in the hotel - it was not due to poor signal.

The 'continental' breakfast is toasted bread & butter and a small bowl of fruit with guava paste, plus a small glass of orange juice. The 'economical' breakfast is a modest portion of eggs, with beans and tortillas. Nothing special, but it was ok.

We found that Norma was helpful if she thought she could sell you something, and otherwise not particularly interested in her guests. Once we told her we were leaving, she was only just civil.

The bathrooms were relatively clean but sometimes the showers didn't work, at all.

On the plus side, the roof and second floor courtyard were very pleasant, I had a good night's sleep, and the towels were nice. The best part was the other guests, who were lovely.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

The Posada Don Mario is within walking distance to all the tourist sites, restaurants, and bars but far enough away to offer peace and quiet. The patio, where one can eat a full or Continental breakfast (included in the room price), use the computer, or find an interesting read from the library/bookcase, is lovely--, as was my comfortable, clean and colorful room. The owner, Norma, was friendly and informative. She even gave me a back rub at no extra charge! I will be back next time I'm in Oaxaca.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Been to Posada Don Mario? Share your experiences!