“Try elsewhere” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Izote de Patricia Quintana

Izote de Patricia Quintana
Mazarik 515, Mexico City 11560, Mexico (Polanco)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #706 of 1,743 restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Polanco
Cross street: Socrates & Platon
Description: Restaurante de Alta Cocina Mexicana.
San Francisco, California
“Try elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Although many guide books warn reservations are needed, that certainly wasn't the case. We were one of 2 tables downstairs during prime dining hours on a Saturday night. The restaurant feels like it is dying--no patronage, dated decor with a mostly empty wine cellar plainly visible. There was very little staff and those present were cold and not particularly helpful. The restaurant altogether lacks the liveliness or atmosphere that one would expect of a highly regarded restaurant. Unfortunately, the food also belied the guide books--We found it heavy, one dimensional and not particularly flavorful. I wish I could recommend it, but Izote is a restaurant badly in need of renewal. There are plenty of other places in Mexico City for "fancy" Mexican food. I would recommend trying one of these many other establishments before chancing it with Izote.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

64% Recommend
Mexico City, Mexico
“Great Chef”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Patricia Quintana is one of the best Mexican Chefs, I had a ‘Tamal” and “Ate con queso” that was great, the service was real good and the people I went with were amazed by the flavor combination and Mexican food

Visited April 2013
Mexico City, Mexico
“Delicious mexican food, very well presented...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We where four people. The restaurant decoration is not great, actually it is too simple. I was a bit dissapointed... Then we order the food, and i was surprised! it was DELICIOUS....
The service was very good too.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Expected more.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had heard good things about Patricia Quintana´s restaurant Izote, and we were excited to have our first meal in Mexico at this highly praised establishment. Unfortunately what we found was a place wholy devoid of character. The food was fine, but the restaurant was completely empty with an "about to close" feel, and this was at 9 p.m. at night! Even though the servers were kind, our presence seemed to be a surprise to the unprepared staff. Well a friend had warned us to go during the day, I guess he was right. This is an unhappy place to go for dinner.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Beirut, Lebanon
“Feared food poisoning 10 minutes into dinner. Stay away!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

I have never been so horrified by a dining experience in my life...
We were a party of three, and I spent my entire evening apologizing for this terrible recommendation. I cannot believe this restaurant has so many good reviews -- based on what?
To start off, the presentation is absolutely nauseating, and that's still being too nice. Our ceviche was more like a soup of warm, raw, possibly poisonous "fish." It's a cold fish soup.
The wine was not chilled. It took a good 30 minutes for it to cool enough to a drinkable temperature. The dumbfounded waiter could not understand our shock at the fact that the entire restaurant didn't have one refrigerator.
The quesadillas were TERRIBLE! They didn't taste like anything. I am not sure what the tortilla was made of.
A friend ordered something that looked like a cross between a melted chocolate ice cream and a quesadilla.... It was terrible. Tasted like poisonous sand.
The star of the evening had to be the "fish" smothered tomato salsa/soup that still couldn't mask how horrid and old the fish tasted. It took one bite for my friends and into realize that it was last year's catch...not to mention the lack of refrigerators. Terrifying experience topped with the bill -- they didn't deduct a single thing, despite the fact that ALL platters were returned untouched.
I was deeply offended by this entire experience, and extremely baffled at how this "cuisine" is the creation of a celebrated and highly-acclaimed chef.
I actually do urge you to try it so that you experience the most comical and ridiculous evening of your lives.
Hands down, the worst restaurant I've tried in over two decades.