“Worth a shot..if u don't know Indian food” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Leibnitz
Mumbai
“Worth a shot..if u don't know Indian food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Ordered the most basic of dishes..alu mutter, moong dal, onion nan, chapati and jeera lassi..lassi was too sour, would have really liked some authentic tandoori roti as the name suggests but it didn't feel/taste like it, chapati was decent but way too thick and the dal and alu mutter..well..way too much haldi (turmeric)..both were well cooked and fresh but not the real deal. Still..quite a relief to get some Indian food in a while. Like I said, if u don't know Indian food then it is worth a shot.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

69% Recommend
Mexico
“Tasty but small and pricy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

The best Indian food that we've had in Mexico so far!

However, portions were very small and overpriced (especially the rice -- 80 pesos). Chai was disappointing because although there was evidence of cardamom it could not be detected by the taste buds.
The quality of the food, price and atmosphere were comparable with a typical Indian restaurant in the UK but the portions much smaller.
The service was good and we didn't have to wait long for anything. Like many Indians it has loads of veggie options.
Suggestion: print out the voucher of 10% discount from their website (it effectively saves you the tip)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
England
“Great food, High cost”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

As an englishman who loves his curry, with a girlfriend who misses curry since she returned to mexico city a few months earlier, we decided that it would be worth a visit to this restaurant!

We got there and ended up being the only people in there for half an hour or so, by the end of our meal there was only two other couples. The atomosphere score was purely on being stared at by the waiter and waitresses. If this would was busier, im sure this wouldnt have happened and there would have been alot higher.

To start off with, we ordered drinks (a diet coke and something ive forgotten the name of)
These took about 20 minutes to come, and keep in mind, we were the only people there, to take a can of diet coke to a table with a glass. The other drink was like a coriander milkshake, awful, but again, our fault and likely a traditional drink of the area. Not anything to do with the restaurant and so isnt any part of my score.

When we ordered our starter, the Samosas were awesome, probably the best I had ever had, but I had ordered a rice dish i expected to be a vegetarian biryani, alas, it was rice with a few vegetables in (again, my fault i suppose), and not all that interesting. My girlfriend had chosen aubergine curry, which came out in a very very small dish. along with these we had naan breads, that were ok, but mine was a garlic naan and didnt taste anything like garlic.

As my girlfriend had no rice with her meal and i had nothing but rice, we shared. Overall it was a very small meal with not alot of substinence for one person, letalone two.

The desserts were awful. Old, hard and dry, not much else to say.

On top of this, for the meal described, one milkshake and two diet cokes, this meal came to $430 pesos. Which, in mexico city is a very high cost for a very small meal. Even in england this would have been steep, and the meal far heartier and not all that different from what im used to.

That said, what we enjoyed the main meal, however small it was, and may return in the future, with a thicker wallet, being less adventurous in the drinks department and not having desert.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Like your Indian Mama from Udaipur was in the kitchen...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

This is the best known Indian restaurant in Mexico City and the food is good... if you are are used to 'Indian' food in the UK with pre-made sauces and alarmingly bright improbable food colouring then this will come as a pleasant surprise. All the food is obviously prepared from scratch in the kitchen.

We started with Lamb samosas and prawns in a spicy gram flour batter. The prawns were a touch spongy for my taste but the flavours were good, the samosa had a ructic 'just folded' look to it, but the pastry was buttery and crumbly and the minced lamb inside was absolutely perfect. The puppadums were oven-baked and served with fresh raita, a spicy creany sauce I didn't recognise, and a mango puree with mustard seeds. My partner thought the mango should have been chunkier with bits of mango, but I'm not sure I agree.

The mains arrived and the Mutton Biriani was moist and excellent, and there were no bright red grains of rice as your find in a UK mass-produced Indian restaurant. This looked and tasted like it had been made at home. The Chicken Dupiaza looked rather uninspiring, but the reality was rich and tasty, and the pieces of chicken were smaller than I normally chop in my own curries. It allowed the flavours to penetrate more and I made a note to myself for future cooking. The dahl was a black lentil version and had none of the obvious sweetness lots of western style Indian restaurants add to my favourite Indian dish. It had an attractive rich and bitter quality which we both liked, and was just a teeny tiny bit reminiscent of Mexican black mole.

On the down side, the service was a bit hit and miss, but the restaurant was nearly empty on the evening we visited and I think would be a bit sharper when the place was fuller. I had to shout down the restaurant after five minutes of asking for the bill and being ignored by uninterested staff at the reception desk. I think maybe we hit a bad moment and will give the service a 'pass' on this occasion. The waitress was very friendly.

Only real criticism could be applied to most restaurants in Mexico which is that they only had one white wine on the list, an LA Cetto Blancs de Blancs which is OK, but even then they only had one bottle chilled. They need more cold white wine and I would add a Vina Esmerelda and a Chilean Sauvignon to the list (both of which are available locally).

The room is decorated with good wooden furniture and ethnic decorations, but the walls are a harsh white. We both agreed that they should paint the whole room a rich dark red and it would turn the place into an magical Aladdin's Cave.

Overall we enjoyed the restaurant very much and will definitely be going back.

we went on a Thursday evening and it was very

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mexico City, Mexico
“Excellent and Authentic Pakistani and Indian resturant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

Excellent and Authentic Pakistani and Indian restaurant.

A must visit for all Asians to find Hallal food.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere