“One of the best ducks in my life!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Polish
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Mexico
“One of the best ducks in my life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I must admit that before going to specia I was absolutely ignorant in terms of polish food and Specia left me very pleasantly surprised.

Advised by a returning customer friend of mine, we started out with a small glass of almost frozen vodka which was very good. He warned that his favorite on the menu was the house specialty, the "duck tin", and that it was a very big portion, half a duck! Therefore we didnt order starters and were simply brought a small crepe with a herring mousse that was amazing.

Very shortly afterwards we were brought our plates with a beautiful looking half duck, some sauerkraut, a baked apple with what i beleive was a blueberry sauce and some mashed potatoes. The duck was simply delicious with a crunchy crust (the skin was covered with some sort of rub) and very tender imn the inside.

I am quite a fan of duck and this was delicious!

For dessert we shared a crepe filled with softc cheese and bathed in a blueberry sauce that was also very good.

As a side note, the people in the table next to ours seemed to be enjoying some very good sausages, I think Ill try those next time.

Great food mixed with very good service and a good ambience made the experience fantastic.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Cuernavaca
“Excellent service and food just a step from the Hipodromo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Specia was an ideal place to spend a romantic evening meal. Despite it being Saturday we had the place to ourselves, at least inside, and the ambience and service were very conducive to our mood.

The menu is large and if, like me, you aren't very well versed in Polish cuisine, contains a number of interesting options throughout, from the starters to the desserts. My curiosity was stimulated and it would take a number of return visits to quench my interest I'm sure.

For the starter we opted for two of the soups, my wife went for the mushroom soup which was through the recommendation of the waiter, and I went for plum soup for the novelty. The latter was listed as "an experience" on the menu, which is usually a euphemism for "be warned", and I'd say it was warranted. I can only imagine that the original Polish recipe calls for sharper plums, which when adapted to the large sweet dessert plums available in Mexico, well, it was an experience, let's leave it at that. Unfortunately the mushroom soup wasn't great either, it was almost overpoweringly strong in flavour and very salty. Not catastrophically so, but it quickly outstayed its welcome on the palate.

Having read the reviews on here, we went for the signature dish of the restaurant, tin duck. As one would hope, it was delicious and rescued the meal for us, beautifully succulent duck, well seasoned, cooked with an apple stuffing and well accompanied on the plate. Take note, the portion is a half duck, but they are more than happy to split that for two people, which is what we did and we both had plenty on the plate still.

The wine selection is above average (for a restaurant in México that is) but won't set your pulse racing. But there is an excellent range of tequilas (and to a lesser extent mezcales) to choose from, I tried an excellent añejo called Mi Vieja. I know a bit about tequila and can judge a decent selection from a mediocre one, and this restaurant fell firmly in the former category.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and we left contented and replete, to the extent that a couple of circuits walking around the hipodromo were most welcome before catching the taxi home.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The Best duck I ever has.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

Excellent polish cuisine, duck is the very special treat The service is superb

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Mexico City, Mexico
“One of the few restaurants in Condesa with great food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Specia is one of my favorite restaurants in Mexico City. Although I always have the same dish ("Tin" duck, a polish style half-duck with roasted apples and red coleslaw), the food has always been of consistent quality. Service is very good and since it is small it feels very cozy. I highly recommend it for any occasion, but have a light breakfast, since the servings are quite plentiful. Highly recommended.

Visited November 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Lovely Duck! and the carpaccio´s (beef, tuna) are great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009