“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Contramar

Contramar
Durango 200, Col. Roma Norte, Mexico City, Mexico (Roma Norte)
5514.9217 / 5514.3169
Neighborhood: Roma Norte
New York
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Delicious and fresh modern take on seafood and Mexican….
Absolutely delicious! Menu varies daily……Everything is good…and
save room for desert!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“The perfect place for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

It was the best meal I had in Mexico city....unexpected really as so much hype about the place thought it could be over rated. I am a pescatarian so it was the perfect suit for me.I walked there after visiting the National Museum of Anthropology. Took me like 15 mns. I sat outside alone with 2 other loners. Older men coming to have a quick lunch and sipping beer like me....
I ordered the Tuna Tostadas, the Shrimp tacos which were absolute delight and perfect for one person. They also serve at the beginning a basket of bread with a serving of a green sauce and another one like and onion salad which were great to spice up the meals. It was lovely and the service was great although you do feel that they can be pushy as if they want you to leave but that's Mexico I realised after being served in 4 different locations....

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mexico City, Mexico
“Instead of Contramar, Go With the Flow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

The fish carnitas tacos are excellent and highly recommended. Also, the grilled octopus (sold by the KG) is very good, although a little pricey.

Your best bet is to think of the restaurant as a small-plates eatery and assemble a mish-mash of appetizers. The entrees are good, but they fill you up too much and keep you from experiencing the wide array of flavors and benthic delicacies.

Chambersburg, PA
“second time was different”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I had dinner at Contramar at 5:30 p.m. on a Friday recently. Although they honored our reservation very nicely, when we arrived a half hour early, it was total chaos there. I will never go back on a Friday evening; every thirty-something in the city was celebrating the end of the workweek, and the noise level was painfully high. The service was also a lot less impressive than the first time I was there. We ordered oysters, a salad and 2 different plates of tacos. The oysters came, followed by one of the plates of tacos, then nothing else, until finally (20 min. later?) the server showed up, asked if we wanted anything else, and seemed surprised to learn that we had ordered 2 other things. (It wasn't a language issue; my Spanish is pretty good.) The 2 taco dishes were ones he was urging us to try, and they were at best just okay. The oysters were nothing more than just okay, either. And I thought $100USD was a lot to pay, considering that neither the quality nor the quantity of the food was stellar. Maybe I'll give them another try; but not sure, considering that there are now so many other good seafood places in Mexico City.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Berry
“My Absolute Favourite Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This has to be one of the best restaurants in the world....

We had a family lunch there last weekend and had the best time. One of the highlights was a buterflied fish with each side of the butterflied fish marinated in a different sauce. We had tostadas de atun (tuna), tacos de jaiba suave (soft shell crab). All were sensational.

We had montejo beer with reserva de familia tequilla... served with a tomato juice... and the service was excellent....

• Visited September 2013