“Fancyish typical Mexican dishes” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Michoacan & Laredo
Mexico City, Mexico
“Fancyish typical Mexican dishes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

It's a nice environment, and fancyish versions of typical Mexican dishes. You can try regional dishes while having a cucumber margarita and telling your companion, "Martha Stewart ate here when she visited."

One negative is that the food is not that interesting if you know Mexican cuisine. A piece of fish with an average sauce, ok. It's not creative or cutting-edge, which you might expect given the atmosphere and reputation. But it's a nice place.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Chicago
“For solo diners, not pleasant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Great food, lovely atmosphere. But as a solo diner, the evening started off very badly. I had a reservation at 7:30, early by MC standards. Got to almost entirely empty restaurant and as host starts to take me up a dim stairwell I said wait, I want to sit out there (pointing at the beautiful and empty garden). He says no, I ask why, he runs back and gets the reservation book and points to it and I say, yeah, but I have a reservation too. Then he redirects me upstairs so I follow and he points to a table and says "there." No one was sitting in the small, dark space so I felt like he was hiding me. There was a small balcony with a few tables and I said I want to sit out there and again he says no. I asked why. I think by this time he was a bit exasperated and he walked out there, put the menu on a table and walked away. So a very dispiriting beginning to what turned out to be a very good meal with fine service. In general, Mexico City restaurants don't know what to do with solo diners; this wasn't the only bad experience like this I had.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Great food, great setting and great service ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We walked passed and liked the look of this restaurant and decided to try it.

That turned out to be a great decision. The waiter was extremely attentive and helpful and we loves the setting. And the mezcal from the little wooden cups is a nice touch. Overall the food was very very tasty... Loved it!

Seattle, Washington
“Empty plates were the best part”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Azul Condesa initially impressed with its clean, urbane design punctuated by breathtaking blue Talavera plates, any one of which I would have gladly stolen if my bag had been big enough. :-)

Charming wait staff and a tantalizing menu heightened the anticipation that something great awaited. That is until the food arrived. . .so insanely quickly that I didn't believe it had been freshly prepared.

My order, turkey in an almond mole, featured a perfectly cooked moist turkey breast. Unfortunately, the turkey was punished by the murky, bland, chalky gravy in which it was smothered. To add to the disappointment, this lukewarm mess was all there was to the plate -- not even a smattering of veg to dress up the dreary centerpiece. I wanted to go all Gordon Ramsey on the kitchen staff; it looked and tasted like no one cared.

My husband's duck was severely overdone and further humiliated by a too sweet sauce that tasted nothing like the menu promised.

My husband would have told the wait staff about the duck, that is if anyone had checked back with us. The later dining local crowd had arrived and they had disappeared into it.

The price was muy caro, particularly given the unpleasant taste and thoughtless presentation.

This was our worst dining experience during three weeks of travel throughout Mexico.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Brooklyn, New York
“Delightful setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Really beautiful restaurant with indoor/outdoor space, vivid blue walls, greenery and great range of margaritas. I tried the cucumber! The food was tasty but not as impressive. We had some mediocre ceviche, and tasty duck wontons with mole which get a ton of buzz. I wouldn't rush back for the food but it was a great way to open our trip in Mexico City.