“Simple, fast, and delicious.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 1,807 Restaurants in Mexico City
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Their food is the best, their service is excellent, and the price is right! Excellent pozole, quesadillas, sopes and flautas.
Monterrey, Mexico
“Simple, fast, and delicious.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

I'm glad I found this place, just down the street from my business meeting. Arriving a little early for the lunch hour we were seated immediately and not a moment too soon. Before we finished our meal, the place was packed. Always a good sign.

The menu is simple and is printed on the table tops. The waiter hands you a ticket and a pen and leaves while you take your time perusing the choices and jotting down your order. When ready, the waiter returns, quickly verifies what you've ordered and is off again.

Our beverages came quickly, as did a variety of salsas accompanied with tostadas. Before we knew it, the waiter reappeared with our food. Since the menu is basically made up of a la carte choices, it took several trips to bring all our dishes. The portions are huge and the food is tasty. Others have called it "Mexican comfort food" and I agree. At our table we enjoyed 3 different pozoles, flautas, quesadillas, tacos, and finished off with two kinds of flan. All our plates left the table empty!

The only negative that I would mention, and it's a minor one, was that the restaurant got so busy that we had a little trouble flagging down our waiter to order dessert and then to ask for the check. But even that was not because of poor service, that young man was almost running from table to table, as were the other myriad of waiters.

All in all, a very positive experience and a super value. Lunch for 4 persons, including all the food, beverages, desserts, and tip was about what I'd pay for 2 people at many restaurants. I'll be back!

Visited July 2013

“Go,for the Pozole!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I'll admit it: I eat here a lot whine I'm in DF. It's good, inexpensive Mexican comfort food. It is, however, very close to what one might consider Mexican fast food. With that said, go for the pozole! It is truly delicious and worthy every trip. The bowls come laden with meat and hominy and the broth is seasoned so well, all it requires is a squeeze or fresh lime. Do not, however, get the other items on the menu. The quesadillas are horrendous: more like greasy, deep fried empanadas (but not anywhere as flavorful as an empanada) - I took one bite of mine and my hands were covered in grease and frying oil - disgusting - I will never not get that taste out of my mouth. The sopes, which again is a very loose translation of a sope, are more like plate sized tortillas topped with a filling you choose and then buried beneath a mound of torn iceberg lettuce and onion topped with crema. Actually, not as bad as the quesadilla, but not what you expect of a sope. Service is fast until it's time for the check, then you wait and wait and wait. Let me repeat: go for the pozole - nothing else here will matter.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, California
“Great Food, Incredibly Cheap!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

There are multiple locations for Casa De Toño throughout the DF, and they're all great! Come hungry as are the portions are huge. Remember, Gringos - this is REAL Mexican food, so get ready for incredible Posole, Tacos El Pastor and Enchiladas Suizas!!

Visited April 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Best Pozole in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

La Casa de Tono is a charming place with great, traditional Mexican food at extremely reasonable prices. The Pozole is their signature dish, and deservedly so, but everything I've had from their menu is delicious. They make wonderful salsas too, and if you like flan, by all means don't miss out on theirs! The service is friendly and attentive and the ambiance is really fun!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Huixquilucan, Mexico
“Bueno, Bonito y Barato”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Good, Nice looking and Cheap. They serve one of the pozoles in town, you just have to select your size, drinks and you are ready to eat. Even though they serve more than just Pozole, it is its signature dish.