“I Really Enjoyed This Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pujol

Pujol
Francisco Petrarca 254 | Polanco, Mexico City 11570, Mexico (Polanco)
(55)55453507
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Pujol is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 2,268 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Mexican, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Polanco
Cross street: Horacio
Transit: Metro Polanco
Description: Once again featured on the San Pellegrino list of the "World's 50 Finest Restaurants"—and moving up thirteen spots to number 36—Pujol is Chef Enrique Olvera's extraordinary personal approach to Mexican cuisine, famed for reinvention and ongoing perfectionism, where tradition and contemporary gastronomy live side by side as expressed in culinary techniques both ancient and modern. Using both imagination and delicacy, Olvera recombines Mexico's nearly infinite ingredients and flavors, demonstrating an extraordinary food culture's potential in obsessive detail.
London, United Kingdom
“I Really Enjoyed This Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have been living in Mexico as a European expat for about four months and do not enjoy Mexican food generally. I knew this restaurant would be different and was very much looking forward to going. I was hoping the dishes would be presented in a more European way - elegant with subtle flavours. Indeed they were and I was very pleased. The dishes are all Mexican and the flavours all Mexican but they are of a sophisticated style. Flavours not conventionally put together seemed to complement so well. Everything was delicious! The menu is not extensive but that is just the way it is. You choose what you want - there was the tasting menu or meat choices of starter and main or fish choices. I went for the fish choices and my partner went for the meat. Before your starter is brought to the table, various snacks are given to you. We had this incredible mini corn on the cob which had a really woody flavour and also a delicious mini salad. The portions are tiny and after my main course I was worried because I thought I wouldn't be full up but an amuse bouche is brought to you - we had parsnip ice cream which was sublime! We then had a pre-dessert bought to us and then we had our chosen dessert. My partner had a mezcal afterwards and by the end we were very full and satisfied. The waiting staff are very friendly and explain everything about each dish. I do not speak Spanish and almost all the staff spoke perfect English. After reading a review from another diner, I have to disagree that this restaurant is snobby or pretentious. My partner and I felt very comfortable and well looked after. I would recommend Pujol and definitely go back if I return to Mexico City. The only downside to Pujol is the lack choice for a vegetarian/vegan. I do not know what is offered in that situation. With regard to value for money at Pujol - in the UK where I am from, one would pay twice as much for the same food and service and that is why I rate the value as excellent.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

American in Bogota
“Top-end, really exotic, quite delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We took our small children here (probably a faux paux) but they actually ate ant eggs, ants, and frog legs so for them it was a success. I thought the room was small but charming and the food was truly unique and extraordinary. This is no taco joint, however, bring your wallet and an appetite for unexpected. I would highly recommend have the sommelier put together a beverage tasting menu to go with your degustation menu (we had a sampling of beer, mezcal, several juices, some interesting wines, all in portions appropriate for a multi-course meal.)

Visited July 2013
Medellin, Colombia
“Excellent option for fine mecican cousine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I had the chance to visit with a couple of friends this restaurant. Even though we did not have a reservation, they look for a table for us in a very proactive way. The food is a hall experience. Marvelous taste and well served. The place is small, nice and quiet. The service is excellent. The price is high but it worth it.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Catered pretty impressively with an awkward customer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I am a pretty fussy eater, don't eat meat or shellfish or broth flavoured with ants (Mexicans eat insects) but they made an effort to accommodate me and the flavours were extraordinary, in a good sense. It was a memorable meal and the price, while at the higher end for Mexico, was a bargain for one of the best restaurants in the world. Located in a modest building in Polanco (in Mexico City traffic that can be 30 or 40 minutes from the centre of the city), the restaurant is understated but comfortable. The staff are attentive without being too intrusive and are eager to explain the dishes to you. You are left in no doubt that you are involved in a gourmet experience.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, Canada
“This place is a treat, but also an adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just go here -- provided you can get a table, of course!

I first dined at Pujol when in Mexico City on business in May 2011. I made sure to return when in D.F. again in November 2012 (I'd spent almost 18 months dreaming of a second visit). I love everything about Pujol. The food, the service, the perfectly-matched beer tasting menu. Be prepared to eat things you wouldn't ordinarily - bugs included! - but don't worry, it's all scrumptious. This place is a treat, but it's also an adventure. Enjoy!

• Visited December 2012