“Don't say you weren't warned!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pujol

Pujol
Francisco Petrarca 254 | Polanco, Mexico City 11570, Mexico (Polanco)
(55)55453507
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Pujol is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 2,420 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Mexican, Fusion
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Polanco
Cross street: Horacio
Transit: Metro Polanco
Description: Once again featured on the San Pellegrino list of the "World's 50 Finest Restaurants"—and moving up thirteen spots to number 36—Pujol is Chef Enrique Olvera's extraordinary personal approach to Mexican cuisine, famed for reinvention and ongoing perfectionism, where tradition and contemporary gastronomy live side by side as expressed in culinary techniques both ancient and modern. Using both imagination and delicacy, Olvera recombines Mexico's nearly infinite ingredients and flavors, demonstrating an extraordinary food culture's potential in obsessive detail.
Toronto, Canada
“Don't say you weren't warned!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Came here for dinner while in Mexico City. It was an absolute delight. The food on the thirteen course tasting menu was a mix of somewhat familiar items (such as a lamb taco and beef tartare) and unfamiliar items, such as ant eggs. Unlike some famous places with exotic tasting menus, everything here tasted really great. Here are a few highlights for those who might be considering Pujol for dinner...

1. Pujol does offer a wine pairing, but also a more interesting beverage pairing that included alcohol such as mescal, dark beer, and light beer, as well as non-alcoholic house creations. This was a lot of liquid (and it cost nearly as much as the meal), but it was nice trying new things without leaving the place completely hammered. My favorite was a glass of water with finely ground mint and cucumber.
2. The courses on the tasting menu come out quickly. If you are pairing wine throughout, it may be a challenge!
3. The cost of a 13 course pairing menu with the beverage pairing and tax/tip came to around 170$ u.s. per person.
4. The courses are each small, but I found everything delicious and comparable to other tasting menus. It is not a buffet by any means. Two of the courses were tacos which had all of the ingredients placed on the tortilla separately. When folded, all of the flavors blended nicely.
5. Be prepared... The are things such as ant eggs, frog legs, and other items not typically found on the menu at Cracker Barrel. I had several new tasting experiences and found everything to be delicious. However, if you are not adventurous, this might not be for you.
6. The best dishes were perhaps the desserts. One was a blackberry sorbet with mescal set to flame. Another was three different creations made from milk that was incredible.
7. Arrive before 730 to beat the rush. Some of the staff do not speak much English, as I do not speak much Spanish. However, most descriptions of the dishes were given by staff members who spoke English well enough to be clearly understood.
8. The restaurant has a relaxed, yet elegant feel. You do not need to dress formally, but jeans are probably not a good idea. If you like to go out in style, this would be a good place to do it.

This place is a treat, but it is an adventure as well. If you know that going in, you just might fall in love with Pujol.

Visited June 2013

New York City, New York
“Insects as your meal!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The highlight of this meal was the use of insects! I have been reading lots of articles lately regarding the benefits of insects in ones diet. I love anything new and am a glutton for an experience, so why not dine on ants.

We ordered the tasting menu with a Mexican wine pairing. What a delightful meal. The menu used all fresh and in season vegetables. There were a few deconstructed dishes, such as the tomatillo salsa salad and well as twist on traditional mexican food. We had ant larva tostada and smoked baby corn with crushed ant and chilli mayo. The larva were salty and crunchy. They would probably taste delicious in a steak salad. The plating of the dishes were also creative. The smoked corn came to the table in a large smoking squash. The wine pairing included tequilla, mezcal, beer, and fresh juices. It was truly delightful.

Visited May 2013
London
“Nice but there are areas for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We visited the restaurant on a short trip to Mexico City having booked a month in advance. The initial experience is very pleasant with a well spaced table set up and a dark and moody decor which creates a very nice atmosphere.

The wine list is extensive with a very broad selection of both new and old world wines. It was not overpriced and the selection that we made from Spain and Argentina were very nice.

The restaurant offers two options - a tasting menu or a fixed price menu. We choose the tasting which is a selection of 13 bite sized morsels that are all mexican in their origin. Having tasted mexican food previously we could see that there was strong innovation in the cooking and a very strong balance of flavours, textures and heat. The smoked baby corn, the beef tar tar and the barbacoa taco were particularly memorable. Where the restaurant did really excel was with the deserts which all hit the target.

Sometimes when going to restaurants like this, I don't eat much on the day of the trip. The portions at this restaurant are very small and therefore hearty eaters would end up leaving the restaurant hungry.

The price for the food is very reasonable. Perhaps the restaurant should focus on increasing its price and consequently the size of the portions. A 30% increase in volume of food would be about right. The tasting menu cost 45 STG or $60.

There are a couple of things that the restaurant could improve on. The menu is only printed in Spanish which makes it difficult for a non Spanish speaker to remember the 13 translations that were offered by the waiters. We had an early sitting which meant the restaurant was not that busy when we started however as it got busier they struggled to keep on top of the wine pouring and we were a few times left with empty glasses while having plenty of wine still to drink. Not all of the staff speak English so the description of the dishes when they arrived was sometimes difficult to understand. On a practical level the food presented is finger food - the plates on which they were presented were often extremely hot which made picking up the food difficult.

The restaurant is located in a small side street and therefore if taking a local taxi make sure that you have a map with you and good directions. Our taxi driver managed to get lost.

On balance we had a very nice evening, with great food and wine in a very nice setting. We can see that there is clear talent in the kitchen and with some improvements in the areas highlighted above the experience will be even more pleasant for customers.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Another excellent meal in Mexico City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

A friend had recommended Pujol, and it was another gem. More formal than Dulce Patria and only offering set menus but there was an abridged version if you couldn't face the 10 courses but by the time they had brought appetisers etc, I think we probably had 10 courses.
They knew I was celebrating my birthday so I got a little cake with a sparkler.
The food was excellent - you are spoilt for choice in Mexico City.

Visited February 2013
Playa del Carmen
“Can't wait to go back!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our taxi river had never heard of Pujol and even with the complete street address he had trouble finding the small modern building that houses the restaurant. The sleek facade is unassuming, save the smartly dressed valets out front who came running to greet us. Inside, we were ushered past a small bar into a dimly lit, low ceilinged dining room. It was much smaller than I had expected, about the size of a gentlemen-only lounge at a country club. The walls are painted a charcoal gray. Stretched along one wall is a row of banquet seating. The rest of the room is dotted with stand alone white table-clothed tables, each lit from above a singular spot light creating dining "islands" for each party. It was sleek and elegant and comfortably cosmopolitan!

At the time of our visit, there were two dining options: Chef Enrique Olvera's ten course tasting menu and a prix fixe four course menu with several options for each course. Not wanting the kids to sit through a 2 1/2 hour meal, we chose the prix fixe option (890 mn p/p) which also allowed me to help my son (our less adventurous eater) to find things he might like. My daughter was, of course, thrilled to be there and quickly had all the servers fawning all over her suggesting elegant "mocktails" and menu selections that she might enjoy. My husband and I stuck to the vegetarian and seafood options while the kids had some meat sprinkled into their meals.

I've read a couple of reviews on TA since we returned from our trip and many of them call out the waitstaff as pretentious and impatient. Others claimed their service was overly intrusive. Some called it "odd". I found just the opposite. Despite the fact that we were the only foreigners in the restaurant, we were clearly under-dressed and two of our party were under the age of 12, I found our service to be spot on. The courses were timed properly and served at the correct temperature. We were never left with empty drinks or plates. Silverware was replaced...never simply set aside for the next course. Napkins were promptly refolded during trips to the restroom. It all worked like a well-oiled machine. Everyone was smiley and nice, especially to our children.

My only complaint is that I would like like to have had a beverage - wine, mezcal, champagne, agua fresca - something thoughtfully paired with each course. I'm not talking about a full pour, just a little something that the Chef has chosen to best accompany each offering. I would have been happy to pay an additional charge for this option rather than having to choose for myself from their extensive beverage menu. Otherwise, I very much enjoyed my food and my dining experience. The food was well conceived and perfectly executed. With two starters sent out to warm up our palates and the complimentary deserts, I feel like the price was well justified. Best of all, it tasted good! We are definitely looking forward to trying the full tasting menu the next time we have an opportunity to be in Mexico City on our own.

Visited March 2013