“Great base in a very big city” 5 of 5 stars

Tao Bed & Breakfast
Campeche 345 | Colonia Condesa, Mexico City, Mexico   |
Ranked #9 of 90 Mexico City B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Great base in a very big city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I found Tao B&B after reviewing a number of places online and this one looked like the best value. I was looking boutique accommodation that was central, safe, clean, comfortable and in an artesian area, this place ticked all the boxes. I have stayed here twice whilst travelling throughout Mexico and would not hesitate to recommend it to others. Staying at Tao was like having a home away from home and Gisela the Manager was a very kind and gracious host, who not only provided advice on local areas/sights of interest but also had a special knack of making you feel both at home and welcome. I found the accommodation quiet and well priced for it's location. The rooms are private some with outdoor balconies, a decent size and clean and comfortable. It is well located and within walking distance of numerous cafes, shops, parks, bus stops (including the turibus)& metro stations.The breakfasts are wonderful and filling enough that you don't have to eat until late afternoon.

Room Tip: Having a room with a balcony is nice for relaxing after a busy day
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I had a great stay at Tao in mid-July. It is perfectly located in the Condesa/Hipodromo neighborhood, right near tons of restaurants/bars on Tamaulipas and throughout the area. Just a short walk to several subway stations and the BRT, both of which make trips to the Centro Historico very quick and easy. Gisela was a fantastic host -- she was very welcoming, had good suggestions on things to see, etc. etc. The place itself is a very cozy, comfortable space -- almost like your own apartment in the city, but with a delicious breakfast prepared every morning. I will definitely stay here next time I'm in DF, and I strongly recommend it to one and all!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

My colleague and I had a very good stay at Tao. Gisela, the owner was very helpful which made us feel at home straight away. The Bed & Breakfast has a great central location in the middle of Condesa. The B&B itself is clean and has nice rooms. The breakfast served every morning is very nice and sometimes had a nice spicey flavour to it. We enjoyed also the drinks on Thursday evening very much. So in short, we would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

My four day stay at Tao exceeded expectations. I was treated as welcome guest by the host, Gislea, yet I could come and go as if I were staying in my own apartment. The B& B was a quiet refuge to come back to after a hectic day in the D.F. I am an independent traveler and Gisela gave me as much information as I needed to get my bearings in the neighborhood, yet was always available if I need something else. Breakfasts were delicious and satisfying, especially the homemade tamales and freshly squeezed orange juice. The terrace outside my room was the perfect spot to catch up on some reading or to plan my day in this fascinating city. I would not hesitate to stay here again on my next trip to the capital.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

A friend and I had such a wonderful time at Tao B&B earlier this month!

We stayed for 4 nights at the beginning of a longer trip to Mexico and we couldn't have been made more comfortable or been better cared for. My friend arrived on an overnight flight and even though our room would not be available until afternoon, our host arranged for her to be checked in early enough to have breakfast, catch her breath, and leave her bags while she wandered around. Since he was also leaving when she went out, the person who checked her in gave my travel buddy a lovely little tour of the neighborhood on her way. This set the tone for the open generosity we were treated to throughout our stay.

I couldn't find a lot of information about Tao before our trip. It seems more often found and booked through a larger sister property, Condesa Haus, with some reviews on that TA page. The booking process was obviously helpful and efficient but since it looks like Tao is establishing a more independent presence, I am going to include as many details here as I can remember.

The B&B is housed in a large corner apartment on the 3rd floor (two flights) of a building with a nice cafe downstairs. Our room was one of three, each with its own lock, key and private bathroom. Ours was on the small side, but had large windows, lots of storage and, while there was not a lot of extra space, the two of us did not feel cramped. The shared living/dining room and kitchen area is bright, sunny and comfortable and leads onto a terrace big enough for a small table and chairs and a couple of loungers. Nice for watching the world go by (high on my sightseeing list) when taking a break from running around. We stayed in the one room that could be converted to twin beds but didn't have a private terrace, something we didn't miss because the "shared" one was a few steps from our door and we had it to ourselves.

As to privacy in general, with so few guests and breakfast available for a few hours, you have as much as you want. We did not see one of our neighbors until the last morning. The other, we met on our first night, an interesting young man we got to know a bit only after introducing ourselves. At that we only crossed paths occasionally but were able to share some handy tips and stories when we did. While we were there, I was the only person to use the living room for reading and writing so found it all a very relaxing and peaceful retreat.

A brilliant cook came every morning to make a hot breakfast for each of us when we arrived at the table. She remembered restrictions and preferences and asked us how we would like the day's offerings. A tremendous treat for me was Rocio's tamale breakfast. She asked us the day before to choose between three varieties and the "heat" level. They were easily the best I had on the trip and, since I love them, I ate them everywhere. Heaven.

The kitchen was available during the rest of the time for keeping a few things in the fridge, to refill our filtered water bottles, and make a cup of tea. The whole apartment and rooms were kept spic and span and there was in house laundry service available.

Gisela, the owner, also came by every day and was available by phone or email at all times. She had a wonderful energy about her which was perfectly reflected in her B&B. She was a pleasure to meet, offered any advice, information or directions we asked for, and was available to make sightseeing or transportation arrangements on request.

The only thing I can think of that I've left out is the surroundings. A lovely neighborhood to stroll around with lots of restaurants as well as shops along the larger streets. It had a very homey feeling and we didn't notice a lot of tourists (like us!) although its supposed to be popular with our lot. Close to the subway and very welcoming on return.

I will stay here again as soon as I get another chance to visit Mexico City.

TIP: there was a trick to turning the hot water on in the shower while we were there as the pump was being repaired. Be sure to ask Gisela if that's still the case and get your instructions.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Geneva, Geneve, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

This was our second stay at Tao (then still Campeche house). Nothing changed since our last time; we often visit Mexico city for short-vacations). The treatment is very friendly, and they have again facilitated our arrival to the city and thought about every detail even before. Both the reservation system and the services we requested (we needed transportation from the airport) were very well organized. Compared to the frequent confusions and anonymity of big hotels, this is a small jewel.

This place is very well situated, at the very heart of la Condesa neighbordhood. It is also a beatiful building, with both the design and the rooms' features very well harmonized. A Mexican breakfast was prepared according to what we had long expected (fruits, eggs, cereals, chilaquiles...). This is the typical place you would like to stay kind of hidden to avoid any future overbooking risks!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Washington, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I spent four fabulous days at the beautiful flower in the heart of Condesa -- the "Orchid Room" of the Tao Bed & Breakfast. From the hospitality of the owners, to the scrumtuous breakfasts, to the amazing Argentine Steak House on the ground floor, the experience was quite a delight. I felt relaxed, at home, and could not have asked for more gracious accomodations and hosts. I am a frequent international traveler, and my wife has worked in hotel/restaurant management. Needless to say, I do not provide accolades on accomodations unless truly warranted. Please do not miss the opportunity to stay at the Tao. You will not regret it. If you prefer a more detailed description, please call me in Washington, DC at 202-686-2886.

Enjoy. Mario L. Herman

Room Tip: 3rd Floor is where you want to be.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Tao Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!