“Just Say No” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Mundo Joven Catedral

You added Hostel Mundo Joven Catedral to your Saves list
Hostel Mundo Joven Catedral
Republica de Guatemala No. 4 | Centro Historico, Delegacion Cuauhtemoc, Mexico City 06020, Mexico   |
UK
“Just Say No”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

No No No. Is all I can say. I am biased towards HI Hostels. I hate them. They are for the younger traveller that wants to be cuddled all the way around, thats my belief. Yes its clean, yes it has good facilities and a great view of the city and it{s directly in the center, but I require a more personal-family feel from a hostel. I was
out of season I think but travellers don't pick seasons. You can still
book the tours if you wish by just turning up at the hostel tour section at the front. I am just not a fan, especially when the bar was
pumping out bad music until God knows when and the rooms are located around what I can only say is a tunnel of sound....There....Im Done..

• Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2007

If you are looking for a safe and relatively cheap place to stay right in the CENTER of Mexico City, you have no other choice but to stay in Hostel Catedral. I booked it online for 11 USD ppn. This hostel located right behind the Cathedral at Zocalo. 2 min max walk from the Zocalo metro station. I ended up walking to many places, including Bellas Artes because I find that I have to walk almost as much in the Metro Station anyways. The staff speaks english, is friendly, helpful, and patient. I do not find the staff being slow, I mean, come on, you are on a vacation, please dont try to rush everything. The room is very clean. There is privite room option, but I stayed in a 4 bed dorm with attached full bathroom. There are also dorm with 6 beds w/out bath. Locker inside the room, bring a small lock. Free walking tour provided by the hostel. Free continental breakfast. Lobby turns into a pub at night, great way to meet the locals. Roof is also a bar at night, great way to meet fellow travelers. I arrived really early in the morning (7am), and the staff allowed me to check in out room. There is also a room for me to leave my bag after checking out but before my plane leaves.
The only problem I find is that there is cigarette smell coming from the lobby at night, but I am very sensitively to cigarette smell.

• Liked — Location, Price, Cleaness, did I mention Location?
  • Disliked — forgot to mention in the main paragraph, the motion sensor footlamp is so annoying, Cigarette smell
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

Great place to go for younger travellers. The place is always full with people and there is a beautiful terrace with a view on the Zocalo. Best place in Mexico city to stay at, if you are on a budget.

• Liked — Location and bar
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2007

I check the website first, it looked good, but when I got there (from the airport in metro is cheaper) its a 4 story high building with the best view in town, right in Zocalo Plaza (where the big church is and walking distance to a lot of museums).
I was travelling alone for business and met a lot of people, we organice a trip to Ruinas de Tehotihacan and to the Basilica de la Virgen de Guadalupe and it was totally worth it. The staff were really friendly and helpful, they have an elevator and automatic toiletts. They are shared rooms only for girls or mixed. Either way, bring your own lock to put your backpack in a closet. I am going back in 2007!!!
Good travelling!!!

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — they dont have private rooms
  • Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

It's a very good place, had daily events, Internet services, International Phone Calls, and also the location is great, right in the Zocalo of Mexico City.

• Stayed April 2006
Jorge T, General Manager at Hostel Mundo Joven Catedral, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thanks for you comment.
We are glad that you have fun with us.

See you soon.

save travels

Been to Hostel Mundo Joven Catedral? Share your experiences!