“Loved the W in Polanco” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 293 Hotels in Mexico City
Seattle, WA
“Loved the W in Polanco”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

My partner and I just spent 5 wonderful nights in the W. It was our first trip to Mexico City and the W was the perfect respite after busy and hectic days sightseeing. Our room was on the 15th floor. It had great views, and the hammock in the bathroom was a kick. The bed is super comfortable and the room was just perfect for lounging. We came home every night and just chilled. Although I enjoyed the bar and people watching - after being in the hustle and bustle of the city all day I just wanted to have some peace and quiet, and our room didn't disappoint.
The staff was wonderful and friendly. I must admit I expect a little attitude at a W - that's part of the schtick - but there was none here. Just warm, friendly hospitality. We were greeted by smiles and welcomes every time. The concierge was wonderful - recommending several great restaurants and booking us a fantastic tour to Teotihuacan. The Polanco neighborhood is very lovely - chic and urban - and made for great evening walks and dinners.
Of course, the W isn't for everyone - it's a little minimal and modern. If that's not your style there's always the JW Marriott next door.

• Liked — location, room, service
  • Disliked — small closet
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Greek first
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2006

This hotel definitely does not provide the value of an international brand name hotel or the price it charges. I had a very disappointing visit to this hotel. The halls are dark and smell, the rooms are very dark, cold floor, not functional bath tube (rounded bath tube leaves the entire floor wet), lateral window could not be closed (no curtains) preventing privacy from nearby building. The "supposed" excellent restaurant served me a spoiled fish (recommended by the waitress!!) and I got E.coli, destroying my business trip, and my wife's first visit to Mexico city. I noticed the bad taste of the fish, but never thought could be something so serious. Of course, after that (and very sick!) I changed to the awesome JW Marriott next door. Very pretentious environment, no real value for the serious business traveler, be aware!

• Liked — Nothing really. Very pretentious hotel, with no matching value.
  • Disliked — Terrible restaurant, food quality, room and halls.
  • Tips/Secrets — Talk with someone that has stayed here before and check their experience. I would not stay in this W again.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2006

My boyfriend and I just returned from a 4 night stay at the W Mexico City - what a treat! We booked ourselves here because my boyfriend had to attend a convention in a nearby suburb, and instead of staying at the Fiesta Inn closer to the venue, we decided to treat ourselves and make a vacation out of the trip.

Check in was a breeze and the hotel staff was very helpful. The staff at the Whiskey/Lobby bar were extremely accommodating of our love for the Sauvignon Blanc that was only served in the upstairs restaurant, and went out of their way to travel up and down the stairs just to bring us the wine we like!

We stayed in a Spectacular Room. The beds were extra comfy and the rooms were clean and unique. We loved the hammock in the bathroom and the three-shower heads in the shower. The only downside to our room was the closet space – there was virtually none, which was kind of a hassle.

We treated ourselves to massages (Swedish - both excellent) and I enjoyed a pedicure - very expertly done! We worked out at the gym daily - all the machines are top of the line (they're equipped to read your heart monitor if you have one) and the equipment is extremely well cared for.

As far as the neighborhood, you can't get any better than the trendy Polanco district - it's extremely chic, and there are wonderful restaurants and shops just within blocks of the hotel. If you'd like to go anywhere, the hotel will arrange a driver for you, and even send the driver to pick you up when you're done exploring!

We ate at the restaurant every night for dinner and I tried 4 different entrees, and they were all impeccable. My boyfriend is a vegetarian and he found the selection quite ample and was able to enjoy a variety of fish and veggie dishes. The brunch options are also fantastic.

All in all, our stay at the W Mexico City was really the highlight of our trip.

• Liked — Great location, great service, great restaurant, great bar scene
  • Disliked — Not enough space in the closet
  • Tips/Secrets — Figure our if you can get a room with more closet space - otherwise - perfect!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2006

As a frequent business traveler to Mexico City, have had experience in many hotels here. By far, the 'W' Mexico City has become one of my favorite stays. The location, the trendy & chic Polanco district is great for those who like a lively nite life and great restaurants within walking distance. The Lobby bar is a happening spot on Friday and Saturday nites, but once entering the elevator and ascending to your floor, all is left behind. Plenty to do and see in nearby neighborhoods, including museums, parks and shopping. Hotel itself have great spacious rooms with signature comfortable 'W' beds. An excellent gym to keep fit while on the road and cool spa to relax in after a long day of business meetings. The staff are very friendly and attentive and try their best to meet your all your needs. Highly recommend for young singles and those who prefer trendy friendly boutique hotels in a great part of town.

• Liked — Trendy boutique hotel with friendly staff in a great location
  • Disliked — Restaurant selections for dinner limited
  • Tips/Secrets — Though GYM has a posted open & close time, just call to the WHATEVER Customer Svc desk and they will open at your convenience
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2006

During my stay in Mexico City I stayed at the Marriott, Sheraton Centro Historico and the W, all were great hotels with different styles. For me the W was the best.

The Hotel

In the trendy Polanco district, just round the corner from the Marriott and an easy walk to the Anthropology Museum and the Zoo.

Decorated in modern trendy style, with a great bar and spa.

The spa has steam room, sauna, relaxation pool (note you cannot swim in this it is just for relaxing in) and my personal favourite the Mexican sauna (a dome like structure with coals in the middle, very nice indeed)

The bar is busy on friday and saturday nights with young affluent mexicans and some business travellers. It is pricey but they do a great apple martini.

The restaurant is interesting, the food was a little too over-complicated for me, too many flavours. I would recommend that you get a booking at nearby Aguila y Sol instead.

The rooms

Huge with plenty of room for sitting and working. The bed was huge, and the room decorated in modern style. I went for a king size bed which means that i has a wet room which was great, including the hammock to sit in and observe the city from.

If a bath is a priority then go for the rooms with two double beds.

The Staff

Can't do enough for you, friendly yet incredibly professional.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend this hotel if you like modern boutique style hotels. I preferred it to the others as it is a younger crowd.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

We stayed at the W Mexico City for 7 days and we didn't want to leave the hotel because the service was so good. The hotel restaurant, Solea, has a fantastic "power lunch" which included 6 different appetizers, and even a fantastic cactus appetizer. The staff at the Solea are very attentive, and we experienced very excellent service during our meals there. The Away Spa's hot stone massage is a wonderful way to recover from the weariness of traveling. Our hotel room feature multiple HBO channels, very comfortable linens, robes, slippers, bliss toiletries, and a hammock in the shower room. Although the lobby bar is a very happening nightspot, we didn't hear any sounds from the bar in our room. The concierges were very helpful with recommendations about guides for side trips that we took, and also, set up the tours for us which made our vacation much more relaxing. All in all, we would stay at this hotel again and wholeheartedly recommend it. The location is very central to the Museum of Anthropology, the Castle and the Modern Museum of Art, all within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2006

I found the W to be a good fit for English-speaking business travelers. The staff were extremely friendly and accomodating.

The rooms were a bit unusual, but quite functional. I found the mini-sofa with table to be a better alternative for working on a laptop than the desk.

it is quite expensive, especially the restaurant and bar. There are good alternatives for food and drink within a short walk. The nearby area appears relatively safe.

Overall, I would stay there again for business, but probably not for a family trip as it did not seem like the most kid-friendly place. Style definitely takes precedence over function.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business

Been to W Mexico City? Share your experiences!