“Superb staff not matched by the facilities” 3 of 5 stars

W Mexico City
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Campos Eliseos 252, Mexico City 11560, Mexico   |
Ranked #50 of 287 Hotels in Mexico City
London
“Superb staff not matched by the facilities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

The positives: very helpful and friendly staff (booked tickets and tours for me and advised how to safely travel according to the destination), a good location (safe neighbourhood and walking distance to the Anthropology Museum) and the walk in shower (with hammock!).

The disappointing feature was the rest of the room and how tired it was. For example, the desk lamp was coming away from the wall, the sink didn't drain away well and the ironing board stand fell away from the wall. The desk facilities are designed for style rather than function so if you're coming on business, it is not a comfortable working environment for longer periods.

The staff on their own almost made this a 4 star rating but Starwood must invest in the rooms.

Helpful hint: they're refurbishing the welcome area and bar, which are due to be finished by April. No noise in the rooms but it does limit facilities.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
W_Experience, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Andy S
Thank you for share your comments about your last stay with us.
We will share your comments with all our talent as an incentive to improve our service day by day.
Perdon us. A new look is about to be revealed . Sorry for any inconvenience. We´re restyling our space so that you experience with us will be even more spectacular.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

W Mexico City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Greek first
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

This W was well located in the Polanco district.

Room:
It was very spacious for being in dense Mexico City. The bed and pillows were comfortable. There was an iron and board, a safe, 3 complimentary bottles of water, a minibar, telephone, ipod docking station and radio. There was a small couch and a desk/chair, which I did not use. The closet was a good size as well. The bathroom was large but weird. The shower was out in the open and water kind of got everywhere but it was hot and had good pressure. If I was staying here with someone else, I would have liked a more separate bathroom with the sink not in the bed area rather than the open concept. The toilet had a door that could be closed but didn't offer a lot of privacy.

Service:
Maid service was great. The guys at the door also helped coordinating a car every day (do the hotel car rather than a taxi).

Gym:
4 treadmills and only 1 eliptical, 2 bikes and a stairstepper. Maybe 8 weight machines, a bench and some free weights. Small but adequate. Never had towels available, which was annoying.

The lobby bar was under construction while we were there.

Restaurant:
The breakfast was included in our rate (normally 240 pesos) and it was adequate. I would never pay that, though, if it wasn't included. Scrambled eggs, cereal, breads and bagels, juice, yogurt and lots of fresh fruit. I didn't eat other meals there.

Overall, I liked the hotel and would stay again if I was in the area.

Room Tip: Higher floor since you can hear things from the street.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
W_Experience, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Hi Chicago_G

We appreciate your complete feedback about your last stay with us.
Sorry for the inconvenice that you had throughout your stay such as the towels at the spa and the uncomfortable shower...we´re are working on that as we speak.

Best regards, hope to see you soon!!!!

Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for a weekend in Mexico City because we like W hotels, but this one doesn't really measure up to the standard (and this isn't a Latin America issue - the W in Santiago is amazing). The hotel is simply an old building and, as much as they have tried to modernize it, it still retains the old feeling. We had an issue with the air conditioning in our room at first because the old thermostat broke; luckily the service at the hotel was still excellent so the problem was fixed immediately.

The hotel is located next to all of the other hotels in Polanco (JW Marriott, Hyatt Regency, etc.), so it's well located for a weekend. Also, the rooms were very clean and the bed was high-quality.

In the end, you are overpaying for what you get here. The St. Regis and Four Seasons were like $40 more per night and looked much, much nicer. We actually went to the Four Seasons to have some drinks and next time will absolutely be staying there.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
W_Experience, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Gregoryfi...

First of all I would like to thank you feedback and express a sincerely apologies for the inconveniences during your stay with us.

We have noted your comments regarding the AC and the conditions.
We´re restyling our space so the next time you experience with us will meet all your spectations.
Rest assure that we will learn from this and work hard to avoid this to happen again.

I do hope you will give us a new opportunity in the near future!!.

Regards,

Lima, Peru
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I have stayed at the W about 5 times already and each has been worse. I kept coming back given the starwood points, but will try out the JW Marriott next door on my next trip.

First off, the quoted me a ridiculous rate which I took thinking I would get a great room. After complaining about the room and the fact that wifi wasn't working, the moved me to the same exact room but on another floor. No upgrade even as I have gold status on starwood. Business center scanner so had to ask lobby to scan things for me which they failed to do and so I had to ask again after they returned the document but failed to send me the scanned doc.

Lobby is under construction and is incredibly noisy. This was not mentioned when I reserved, so given the rate paid I feel ripped off. Also the lobby smells like turpentine and other chemicals given the works underway.

The service has been declining from my first trip and this will be my last stay here.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear LMBtravel

Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your loyalty.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered. We at W strive to make each guest experience memorable and pleasant, and clearly in these last stay's we did not live up to your expectations. Our team is committed to world class service and our future training efforts will certainly focus on the deficiencies.

Regards,

W Experience manager
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I am a very frequent (pretty much non-stop) business traveler and spend most of my time in hotels around Latin America. I have to say the W Mexico City is one of my all time favorites! For other Starwood fans, they seriously know how to acknowledge your status. Location is awesome (so nice to be able to walk around Polanco). The decor is also very cool, but what I love about the W Mexico City is that it still feels friendly and homely, whereas some other Ws (in my opinion) feel quite sterile and cold. Food is decent, amazing cocktails in the bar, great gym and spa. But what really stands out to me is the people and the service - simply FANTASTIC! Small example of the attention they pay to detail (1 of many!) - I told them I only drink diet soda and on every subsequent trip my mini bar is only stocked with diet soda! Everyone goes out of there way to tend to your every need and make you feel like a star. Maybe not the cheapest hotel in Mexico City but you certainly get a VIP experience for the money you pay.

I think I have racked up about 50 nights here over the last year and look forward to racking up many many more!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
W_Experience, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear J2c0

We are glad to hear that you had a fun and unique experience in our hotel, Is our goal and is great to know that we fulfill your expectations!!

We look forward to seeing you again really soon!

See you

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

The good:

- Location in the Polanco district is close to great restaurants and shopping opportunities

The not-so-good:

- Like other W hotels, this one wants to be 'different' from established brands. This is reflected by an unusual layout of the guest rooms: the shower area is open and fully integrated into the bedroom. The vanity area, too, is part of the bedroom. While that LOOKS interesting at the first glance it turns out not to be very impractical. The shower, for example, does not provide that cosy and warm experience of a closed booth because basically you stand 'out in the open' while water drizzles down on you from the ceiling. Maybe it's just me but I found that very weird and not enjoyable.

- Also, like other W hotels, these guys love to play some loud music in the lobby, the bar, the elevators and even in the hallways of the actual guest room floors. That can be nice and energising during daytime, however it can get quite annoying at night when you can hear a subtle beat all the time.

- The front desk staff were professional and catered to all my requests, however they were not actually friendly/welcoming. The way I was greeted was not very warm and when I checked-out I was not asked whether my stay was enjoyable. Everything was done technically correct but I did not feel like a valued guest.

As an SPG Gold member I have been to many Starwood hotels and this one I feel quite mixed about. Or, maybe, I am just not the target group for the W brand. Maybe I am simply not cool enough for that sort of accommodation.

Room Tip: The Intercontinental and the J.W. Marriott are right next door. So if you would like the same great...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hi tmgrner ,

Thanks for all the details and the positive comments about your last stay.
We at W strive to make each guest experience memorable and pleasant. We will share your comments with all the talent in order to focus on all those areas which we did not reach your expectations to improve our service day by day.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again and make your stay a complete WOW.

W Experience Manager.
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

This is a cool place to stay in one of the most amazing cities in the world. My room was more like an apartment with sound system, DVD, and relaxing couch and bed. The shower room was out of this world. It had a hammock and a full wall of glass that allowed you to look across the night lights of the city. Wonderful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
W_Experience, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Scotland0..

Great comments !!! thank you for taking the time to post them.

We look forward to seeing you again really soon.

regards,

W Experience Manager

Been to W Mexico City? Share your experiences!