“Nice Mid-Range Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #84 of 283 Hotels in Mexico City
Brooklyn, NY
“Nice Mid-Range Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed at the Palace hotel for three nights in November 2012 at the tail end of my trip through Mexico. The location was perfect for sightseeing with the metro and the MRT just a couple of blocks away. The service was friendly and efficient and the room was immaculately maintained. The only downside was the restaurant, but the sidewalk vendors across the street were a great alternative.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

The Palace is not a luxury hotel, it is by services and design stantards, mid-range. But...I've been staying there regularly for almost ten years. It is safe, well located, clean, economical. I'm amazed every time that the staff know me and remember me and welcome me back every visit. And that in itself is a testament to the Palace...the same dedicated staff for a decade or so, from porters to desk. These people care about their clients.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

I have been lucky to work in the Mexico City area and for over 10 years I've stayed at the Palace hotel each time. We are a group going to work, not to play, not for vacation, but for a purpose. We are looking for rest, safety,a bargain, a friendly face and comfort. Over the years they have had several renovations and since I was last there and wrote my last eval they have had at least 3. The rooms, the lobby and the restaurant have all be updated. It is located in the Zona Rosa, close to the monuments of the Revolution and Christopher Columbus. The rooms are very reasonable, I've never had one with heat or air, the people at the desk are very nice and speak English, and the restaurant is very nice and I've had no problems with the food or drink. They have a new web site up www.palace-hotel.com.mx. If your going on a budget, and not interested in spending extra, this is the place.

Room Tip: Higher, and to the rear of the building to get away from street noise. If anything is happening at t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

A very homey moderately priced hotel with excellent service. It's in a great location on the edge of downtown.This is the place that the bull fighters stay when the season is on.The staff couldn't be nicer.To me the way to get a good review is to more than fulfill my expectations with pleasant results.This hotel managed that well.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2007

This has been the 8th year that I've stayed at the Palace. It is a smaller hotel in the Zona Rosa, between the statue of Christopher Columbus on the main avenue and the monument to the Revolution. The Hotel has had several makeovers, and this time they were in the middle of renovations to the main lobby and the restaurant. The personel are very helpful, for most their English is better than my Spanish, the food is very good, and the rooms are clean, well furnished, and comfortable. There is a litttle street noise, and occasionally some loud guest on Football nights, soccer for us.
There is a Sanborns 1 block over, Starbucks 1 block down, and everything is convenient. You can pay a lot more, but not get better service.

• Liked — They are like old friends.
  • Disliked — Style a little dated.
  • Stayed March 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bellingham, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2006

I have stayed at the Palace several times and have always had a pleasant experience. I have usually travelled with my small daughter and each time, the staff has taken wonderful care of us with our special requests, directions, etc. Whenever I fly in and out of Mexico City, I will always stay here because of the wonderful location, high levels of safety and cleanliness, and the helpful and kind staff.

• Stayed July 2004, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel 9 or 10 times, the most recent being from Nov. 18-28, 2005, and it's a great value for the price. It's close to a metro station, plus the historical center of Mexico City is easy to get to on foot, by taxi, metro or pesero bus.
The staff at this hotel, whether it be the restaurant wait staff, the bellboys, the housekeepers or the front desk clerks is always corteous and attentive. Once when staying here I became ill from eating some fruit from a street vendor, and they took care of getting me medicine and making sure I was alright.
Although I typically eat elsewhere because I'm usually out seeing the city, the few times I have eaten in the restaurant the food has been delicious. They serve very wonderful coffee, too! Room service was also prompt.
Perhaps the only drawback (it's a drawback if you're not used to the ruckus that early in the morning, you might consider it part of the atmosphere) is that the military school does its exercises on the plaza around the Monument to the Revolution early on weekend mornings, complete with drums and bugles.
Rooms facing the street have a nice balcony, the Monument to the Revolution is visible from the streetside balconies.
There are lots of little food kiosks in the area, and a bank with a reliable ATM just a few doors down.
There is also a travel agent service in the lobby, which has helped me at times when I've needed to confirm or even change my flights.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anybody looking for clean, nice accomodations without the typical backpacker crowd. It's a hidden gem in Mexico City.

Stayed November 2005

Been to Hotel Palace? Share your experiences!