“Absolutely recommendable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #78 of 283 Hotels in Mexico City
Lima, Peru
“Absolutely recommendable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel as a recommendation from a Mexican friend. It is located very close to the Palacio de Bellas Artes and a couple of metro stations. The neighborhood is not fancy at all, in fact, it's a little scary at night with some bumps and trash in the streets but at least, I never experienced a robbery or any other dangerous situation during the days we stayed there. Besides that, the service was alright, as well as the rooms and the restaurant. I can say the interior facilities were a little old and may need to be improved but for the cost per night. The best thing about staying here was the great breakfast offered across the street, in a small cafe. The quality of juices and food was outstanding for an absolutely fair price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We were recommended this hotel by a travel agent who said that it was strategically placed and a safe starting place for our trip. Let's just say that we arrived at night starving and so we ventured out in this allegedly well-lit and populated area. If you consider homeless drunks population and dark streets fitting of this description, then it is accurate. As we were walking down poorly lit streets with nobody around, it occurred to me that this was exactly what two females were warned NOT to do. We were lucky enough to find two local gendarmes who took a liking to us and directed us to a cafe where we were able to get a solid meal very cheaply. Then we managed to get back to the hotel by OTHER gendarmes driving us back. The room was adequate, at best.
Therefore, I would say this: If you need a place to stay, this is okay, but don't plan on going out at night from here, or expect luxury.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The rooms are small but clean and a bit worn. My window faced a wall, which was probably good in that it limited noise. Many reviewers reported that the staff is unfriendly. Not my experience, but indifferent certainly. If you need to save $ it is acceptable and the location is good for the historic center, but street where the hotel is located is not so pleasant - for a few $ more you can do better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed one week in this hotel. Reception staff has no interest whatsoever in catering to the guest. In fact, they seem annoyed if you approach the reception desk. Room cleaning needs much improvement vis-a-vis promptness. Twice we had to wait at 4 pm for the room to be cleaned. Restaurant staff is pretty much clueless about waiting tables and is more interested in watching soccer on the TV which has no business in a dining room. Elevators terrible. You can wait forever for it to arrive. When we checked out, we had to look for our own taxi as bellhop was too busy talking to the reception staff did not so much as thank us for our stay. Do not recommend this hotel and would never stay there again

Room Tip: Look for a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at the Marlowe in 2009 and it was great; this time it was also very good. The location is superb, the staff always helpful and the rooms clean, comfortable and quiet.Highly recommended. And yes, the shower was fabulous- it even had a good view!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel is located centrally, near Almeda Central, Mexico City's historic center with Zocalo, and the modern area of Reforma. The rest of the city is easily accessible via Metro (Hidalgo is one of the convenient stations). The hotel was fine, the room clean and the service as expected. The inner yard view from the window (room 301) was not amazing, in fact it felt like observing the bottom of a rocket silo (I got sunlight, but not sunshine).
The immediate neighborhood was ok. Av. Independencia offered a range of eateries (stuffed with locals), minimarkets, coffees and other shops. Burger King, KFC, and Starbucks were located on the other side of the block. I definitely felt connected to the authentic street life, but on the safe side.
On the way back, I took hotel car to the airport. The ride was fine and slightly cheaper (160) than authorized airport taxi I took after arrival.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The Hotel Marlowe in Mexico City is in a great location, I'll say that. However, the rooms are not that clean and the entire place has a bit of a weird vibe to it. I only stayed here one night, thankfully, as I found myself passing through Mexico City once again. I don't tend to complain a lot, however after I checked in we were escorted to our room to get some much needed rest after a long day of travel. The hotel was basically empty and the room we were given did not have a lock on the door. Sure, who doesn't like a challenge while travelling? However not being able to lock the door to your room while you're trying to take a lay down is a bit unsettling to say the least. The staff was not helpful in any way. The beds were hard, but so far I have found that to be the case in every hotel I have stayed in over the course of many visits to DF, and really the entire country in general, so I wouldn't hold that against this place. In the end, I would not recommend this hotel, even while travelling on a budget. You can find much better hotels within the same price range. One thing I am certain of, the next time I'm passing through DF I will not be booking a room here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Marlowe? Share your experiences!