“A very good hotel in the south of mexico city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel El Diplomatico

You added Hotel El Diplomatico to your Saves list
Hotel El Diplomatico
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Insurgentes Sur 1105 | Colonia Nochebuena, Mexico City 03720, Mexico   |
Ranked #173 of 293 Hotels in Mexico City
Melbourne Australia
“A very good hotel in the south of mexico city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Finding decent hotels in the south of Mexico City is not easy. The Diplomatico turned out to be an excellent choice on a recent conference visit. Clean, reasonably up to date publlc areas. My room was on the large side with comfortable beds and a decent bathroom. Wireless internet signal was strong. The hotel is on the busy main north-south road, Insurgentes, and there are plenty of fast buses (Metrobus stop is one block away) and taxis. Plenty of good restaurants all around the hotel location plus the pleasant Parque Hundido to walk in if you want to stretch your legs and see some trees. The location is excellent if you need to be closer to the pretty and culturally alive areas of San Angel and Coyoacan or one of the many universities in the south. But its also easy to get to the centro historico quite quickly.. .

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

What an unpleasant and demeaning experience! Nightmare. Arrived having booked from US, I regularly travel to Mex.City and liked location for my 4 day meetings. - Room not ready, 2 hour wait. Then unpacked : A/C completely broken and could not be turned off ! Engineer came but had to re-visit 3 times, never really worked and v. noisy. Next day I bought apples, cheese etc - but minibar in room not plugged in and again , broken!! I had to make do with buckets of ice. Reception found my difficulties so comic, they think its hilarious that their hotel doesn't deliver what it promises. My room card locked me out of my room every day and another trek down to reception to be greeted with mirth rather than apologies. Noisy and unpleasant. Not at all clean (hair in the shower on walls), yes you get 2 bottles of water, but you do in every hotel. Towels smelled bad - food v. low compared to Mexican standards (walk dwon the road and get something decent in any restaurant). I seriously considered moving to one of my regular places but was too buisy with meetings. Reception obnoxious - never got a single one of my wake up calls at the right time (on 2 of my 4 days they didnt call at all when i complained reception said it wasnt in the book - I took to going down and watching it being put into book, stil not right. - It wasnt my ordering that was wrong, I'm Mexican and speak perfect spanish). Ghastly. Please dont even think about staying ehre - I suggest Hotel Vermont (same price, great service, lovely rooms) or El Greco if you're on a budget, or Holiday Express (even better location if you can afford just $20 more a day). Oh and needless to say having asked for a quiet room I overlooked a construction site that starts up at 6.00 a.m. every day, still that was lucky given my wake-up calls never happened.... wont set foot in here again EVER.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for ten days this month. It was a very good experience because we wanted to stay in a hotel that were located in the middle between South Mexico City (Perisur, UNAM, Ajusco) and downtown-Reforma. One of the good things that has this hotel is that local transportation is just outside the door: the metrobus stop (an express bus that goes north-south through Insurgentes Ave.) was in front of the hotel, so we could take the metrobus and be in Reforma in just 15 minutes for $5 pesos each. There are also safe taxis that serve the hotel. The location of this hotel is very safe and there are lots of restaurants very close. Also there is a very nice park one block away. The rooms are big and very clean. All the furniture are in very good condition. The bathroom looked like it was remodeled short time ago.
The only drawback of the hotel is that sometimes can get noisy mostly in weekends because Insurgentes Ave. is a very busy avenue. I got a room that face Insurgentes Ave. but I guess that rooms that face the parking are much more quiet. But in general it was a good experience. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

Where do I start? This room was booked by inlaws...yes the staff are lovely friendly people, but that's about it. The first thing that greeted us upon entering our room was a very strong dusty musty odor. The mattress are rock hard as are the pillows, and the pillows smell dusty as well...we were up half the night sneezing! Sheets and towels are clean, but really worn. Also, their walls are paper thin so you WILL hear every little thing your neighbors do. The electronic equipment is a whole different matter...they diy'd the connection with electrical tape (at least for our coffee maker and clock which didn't really work anyway). The bathtub had other people's hair in it when we arrived, and the floor is uneven. They advertise that they have a gym, but their equipment is old (usually not a problem!) and doesn't work well. And last (if you still want to book this hotel!) know that there is a club or something down the street that plays loud music. The staff says the music only plays on Fridays and Saturdays, but keep that in mind!‎

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

This is a very nice hotel, and convenient/close to Plaza Mexico (bullfights) and the soccer stadium. The room that I had was spacious, clean and quiet. It was quiet because I specifically asked for a room on the hotel side away from the extremely busy front street. The hotel restaurant was pleasant and inexpensive, with very professional yet personable staff. The cleaning staff was helpful. There are many good restaurants nearby. The concierge was extremely helpful.
All of the above makes the front desk receptionists a mystery; they were a real pain in the backside. They wouldn't change money, they wouldn't cash travelers' checks, and they didn't offer the help that most travelers consider routine of a front desk. I suspect that, because I was there on an Expedia flight-hotel deal (which made my room rate pretty low), the receptionists felt that I wasn't a "real" guest. There was no language miscommunication causing the poor service, as I speak Spanish.
In sum, I would certainly stay there again, but I would not approach the front desk for help. The hotel's location (see above) was perfect for my doings in Mexico City. Recommended with the disclaimer.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

I spent a week in this hotel and although I expected the worst after reading several reviews, I was happily surprised. The hotel was clean, with a nice lobby and restaurant. My room was clean and I had two bottles of water every day. I had wifi connection, blower and iron. I had breakfast every day and dinner a couple of nights and food was fine. Eating breakfast was more expensive than dining. The clerks at the counter were somewhat distant, but they took care of my petitions. The hotel is near the Parque Hundido Metrobus stop, which is very convenient to travel North and South of Avenida Insurgentes. There are a lot of stores and restaurants nearby. To me, this hotel could be rated with 3 stars.

Stayed October 2008
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

I stayed here for two nights to attend a seminar at UNAM. Since I was giving a presentation, the institute prepaid my room and made all the arrangements (so I can't comment on value, etc.)

There were three people staffing reception when I arrived. It appears the reception desk also handled all telephone reservations and it did appear to be very busy with telephone calls. The person who checked me in was friendly and spoke a little English. Personally, I don't expect the rest of the world to speak English and with my two-dozen words of Spanish, I was able to communicate fine in my interactions with the staff. It does seem their room reservation system does have some problems as the receptionist checked me in to room 501. The bellhop picked up my bag and the key, saw the room number on the key and went back to the reception desk. There was a short conversation (I'm thinking something along the lines of "I just took someone up to room 501, are you sure it's available?") and then the receptionist issued me a key for room 701. During this time, there was much viewing of a complex display that appeared to a map that showed the status of every room in the hotel.

The room was good-sized with two double beds, LARGE closet, desk by the window. Bathroom was good-sized with plenty of hot water. Housekeeping provided 2 bottles of water that were replaced every day. From the 7th floor there was a great view looking out over the city with the mountains in the background (when the smog finally cleared up). The hotel fronts on a very busy street and drivers love to use their horns there, so there is street noise. 7th floor was high enough that the noise was pretty minor, but if you are a light sleeper, I'd suggest asking for a room facing the back of the hotel.

Bellhop showed me how the air-conditioning worked. AC unit was not noisy but it did blow directly on the beds so I turned it on when I left the room for the day and then turned it off before going to bed. Yes, the blankets are fuzzy and the sheets were not 300-count, but the bedding was clean and comfortable. The bed was firm (not hard in my opinion...I've slept on some HARD beds in budget hotels). The marble "step" a previous reviewer mentioned was a 1/2" high ledge meant to keep the room from flooding in the event of a water problem. I also noticed a drain in the middle of the bathroom floor. It's not uncommon to see this in older hotels (in fact, when I travelled in eastern europe, it was standard to see these two things as the shower was typically not separate from the rest of the bathroom).

The elevators are a little funky, but I've had worse elevator experiences. These elevators use a light beam/sensor to determine whether someone is entering/leaving the elevators. I noticed the bellhop using his hand to break the beam if the doors opened but no one broke the beam (ie, when the elevator arrived, and it was too full for the person to get on). An eccentricity that would cause people to think the elevator wasn't working.

Breakfast in the restaurant was typical hotel, decent quality but overpriced for Mexico City. Service was OK, coffee at the table as soon as I sat down, waiter taking my order as soon as I closed the menu, food arriving fairly quickly. Once you get the waiters outside of their routine though, it was a problem. One morning, I started out sitting by myself and then had colleagues join me as breakfast went on. The last two people got coffee right away, but then after five minutes had to ask for a menu and then had to track down our waiter down to get their orders in to the kitchen.

Overall, I would characterize this hotel as an older hotel (style strikes me as 1960's) that has been well maintained but not updated. Staff are typical: small problems here and there, but generally acceptable. I would definitely stay here again given my understanding that there are few hotels in this part of town. There are many restaurants in close walking distance and the MetroBus (running the length of Insurgentes) is a convenient and cheap way to get into town or to a subway station.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Elevators
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel El Diplomatico? Share your experiences!