“Great Stay in Zona Rosa” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Del Principado
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Londres 42 | Colonia Juárez, Mexico City 06600, Mexico   |
Ranked #37 of 294 Hotels in Mexico City
San Diego, California
“Great Stay in Zona Rosa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I recently stayed at Hotel Del Principado from July 3 - 4th. For those looking for a budget / moderately priced hotel with good service in a nice location, look no further. The staff at the front desk offer great service and are very helpful with advice and travel information. Complimentary luggage storage is available on request. There is a restaurant onsite; however, I didn't have a chance to dine at the hotel. Rooms are basic but comfortable. Beds with firm mattress and clean linen. Simple, Ikea style furniture. A small tv. A very nice bathroom and showers with hot water. Rooms do have worn carpet. The hotel is approximately 10 minutes walk from Insurgents Metro Station and from there just a few connections to the Zocalo. I read previous comments about mosquitoes and was concerned, but I didn't notice any mosquito problems during my stay. The area around the hotel is safe at night and nice for walking with lots of street vendors and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Ignacio, Belize
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The rating choice leaves something to be desired: just plain "good." This is a nice hotel with a very good breakfast buffet and a decent dinner menu. The location is very good, and I considered the hotel very good, at least until our last stay there a couple of weeks ago. One of our favorite hotels had acquired mosquitoes, and lots of them. I killed more than a dozen in our room and bloodied a pillowcase in the process. I was disappointed when the desk clerk simply nodded when I advised him of the intrusion, and his explanation was far from understandable. It could be that someone forgot to close some windows, or perhaps the plants attracted them. That seemed to be where the problem ended. How can I be assured it won't happen again if you don't know how it happened in the first place? Shrug. We'll stay there again but won't fail to check the critter's hiding place: under the closet shelf. It's worth the effort. I later learned mosquitoes have been in Mexico City for centuries. Not so for screens.

Room Tip: Before you accept a room take the time to check it for mosquitoes. Beneath the closet shelf seems a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for the last two days of a 16 day trip in Mexico. Through an online travel booking site, I paid 1006 pesos for the two night including tax, (worked out to just over $40 per night including tax). This was for a standard room without breakfast. (No need for breakfast at the hotel. There are cheap eats on every corner of Mexico City!)

The location, right in the middle of the Zona Rosa (the Pink Zone) couldn't be better. It's only 2 blocks off of Avenida Insurgentes (and the Hamburgo Metrobus stop) At this intersection, walking north on Insurgentes for just over 5 minutes will take you to Paseo de la Reforma. If you walk in the other direction for 5 minutes, you will reach the Insurgentes Metro station. So there's easy access to public transportation.

The room was rather small, but clean. A huge king size bed took up much of the space in the room. There was a very small closet, a small dresser with TV on top of it. and a small counter with a bench that served as a makeshift desk. The bathroom was tiny (especially the shower stall in the corner of the bathroom-very little room to spare) The furnishings almost had a European IKEA style look. In fact, that combined with the small quarters, especially in the bathroom, with every square inch serving some useful purpose, gave me the feeling that I was in a small hotel room in some European capital rather than Mexico City. There is a hair dryer in the bathroom. The room is equipped with a strong Wifi signal. The window looked out into an air shaft with a full view of another room's window 10 feet in front of you (make sure the blinds are closed!) Like everywhere else in Mexico City, there was no air conditioning. I was staying during the hottest months of the year there. The hotel keeps a fan in the closet to take out and use in case you get hot. There was only a couple of hours a day when even that was necessary.

At all times, staff was very friendly and helpful. They got a car for me at 5 in the morning to the airport for 150 pesos ($12.17) This is much more than what a regular metered taxi would charge, but much less than other hotels in the area charge for their own car service, and less than the ripoff taxis at the airport (238 pesos?? No thanks,I said)

You can have guests over in your room at any time, and the hotel doesn't care or charge any more for it. In fact, three different guys visited during the course of my two night stay and came right up to my room. No one at the hotel said a word or raised an eyebrow.

I would not hesitate to stay here again if the price is right.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I booked this hotel after reading reviews on TA. On arrival, the hotel was full and we had been allocated a king-sized bed instead of a twin room but my daughter and I didn’t have a problem with this so the receptionist rewarded us with a couple of Coronas. We were pleased with the room, comfortable bed and small but adequate bathrrom... but be warned – there is no A/C. Our stay was in early May so the fan provided was sufficient (though my daughter had some difficulty sleeping in the heat.) I can imagine these rooms can be stifling mid-summer.

Unfortunately, the hotel experienced a problem with the water supply the following morning. We had no water at all for a day and no hot water for a further day. A potable water tanker was parked outside the hotel on the first day. We were on a short stay in Mexico City and wanted to see as much as possible so I did not want to be side-tracked by looking for an alternative hotel so we stuck it out. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Safety deposit boxes are provided at reception for no extra charge. There is free wifi.

We paid extra for the breakfast buffet and I would not do this again. Food was average and service was below average. There was an excellent coffee shop half a block from the hotel – Café Santa Domingo - where the friendly owner welcomed us like long-lost family!

We found this hotel well-situated for sightseeing in DF – a couple of blocks from Paseo de la Reforma and walking distance (20 minutes) to the Zocalo/Belles Artes. For the price, I would definitely stay again but I'm reducing my review to 4-star due to the water issue.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
girdwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here at the beginning and end of our vacation to Mexico. Walking distance to bosque de Chapultepec. Taco stands and restaurants in all directions. Convenient store less than a block away. We didn't need our room cleaned everyday so the slow house keeping never bothered us. Great place at a great value.

• Stayed April 2013
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Rooms: clean, a little small but ok, really unconfortable beds!! They were extremely soft. Website offered air conditoner and we received a really noisy fan.

Location: great, really close of night clubs, restaurants and many other attractions.

Food: bad buffet breakfast, no vairety at just one waiter and must say not a really kind one.

Overall opinion, nice for one night stay but i would stay somewhere else if my trip was longer.

• Stayed May 2013
Ridgeland, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

my husband liked this hotel but I did not care for it and there are better options available in this price range. for starters it was on the wrong side of avenida insurgentes thus inconvenient for where we wanted to go. (we usually walk everywhere as DF is so walkable.) the price was terrific and I read good reviews which was why we chose this hotel. we had an inside room opening onto an airshaft which made it very quiet. our room was not very clean when we arrived but improved thereafter when it got cleaned. we frequently arrived back in our hotel at 6 or 7 to find it not yet cleaned. I usually had to ask for towels or a bathmat. the staff here are very nice and very helpful and the breakfast buffet enjoyable. my husband said he would return but I will head next time to hotel florencia which is where we usually stay. if I sound wishy washy about this place....well, that's just the way it is.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Del Principado? Share your experiences!