“Comfortable and convenient hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Del Principado
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Londres 42 | Colonia Juárez, Mexico City 06600, Mexico   |
Ranked #37 of 294 Hotels in Mexico City
Vancouver, Canada
“Comfortable and convenient hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I booked this hotel after reading reviews on TA. On arrival, the hotel was full and we had been allocated a king-sized bed instead of a twin room but my daughter and I didn’t have a problem with this so the receptionist rewarded us with a couple of Coronas. We were pleased with the room, comfortable bed and small but adequate bathrrom... but be warned – there is no A/C. Our stay was in early May so the fan provided was sufficient (though my daughter had some difficulty sleeping in the heat.) I can imagine these rooms can be stifling mid-summer.

Unfortunately, the hotel experienced a problem with the water supply the following morning. We had no water at all for a day and no hot water for a further day. A potable water tanker was parked outside the hotel on the first day. We were on a short stay in Mexico City and wanted to see as much as possible so I did not want to be side-tracked by looking for an alternative hotel so we stuck it out. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Safety deposit boxes are provided at reception for no extra charge. There is free wifi.

We paid extra for the breakfast buffet and I would not do this again. Food was average and service was below average. There was an excellent coffee shop half a block from the hotel – Café Santa Domingo - where the friendly owner welcomed us like long-lost family!

We found this hotel well-situated for sightseeing in DF – a couple of blocks from Paseo de la Reforma and walking distance (20 minutes) to the Zocalo/Belles Artes. For the price, I would definitely stay again but I'm reducing my review to 4-star due to the water issue.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
girdwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here at the beginning and end of our vacation to Mexico. Walking distance to bosque de Chapultepec. Taco stands and restaurants in all directions. Convenient store less than a block away. We didn't need our room cleaned everyday so the slow house keeping never bothered us. Great place at a great value.

• Stayed April 2013
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Rooms: clean, a little small but ok, really unconfortable beds!! They were extremely soft. Website offered air conditoner and we received a really noisy fan.

Location: great, really close of night clubs, restaurants and many other attractions.

Food: bad buffet breakfast, no vairety at just one waiter and must say not a really kind one.

Overall opinion, nice for one night stay but i would stay somewhere else if my trip was longer.

• Stayed May 2013
Ridgeland, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

my husband liked this hotel but I did not care for it and there are better options available in this price range. for starters it was on the wrong side of avenida insurgentes thus inconvenient for where we wanted to go. (we usually walk everywhere as DF is so walkable.) the price was terrific and I read good reviews which was why we chose this hotel. we had an inside room opening onto an airshaft which made it very quiet. our room was not very clean when we arrived but improved thereafter when it got cleaned. we frequently arrived back in our hotel at 6 or 7 to find it not yet cleaned. I usually had to ask for towels or a bathmat. the staff here are very nice and very helpful and the breakfast buffet enjoyable. my husband said he would return but I will head next time to hotel florencia which is where we usually stay. if I sound wishy washy about this place....well, that's just the way it is.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stay in this hotel the second time and we are completely satisfied with our choice. This time we stayed for 6 days. Del Principado is situated in a very good place, almost in the cetre of Mexico city, in 5 minutes from metro Insurgentes. The rooms in hotel are not very big, but clean, light and comfortable, with internet in the room. Hotel is so nice and quiet, the staff is very friendly and always ready to help you and ask any your question. You can reach many interesting places and sights by walking from hotel, without using any transport. Just take the city-map on reception and go on! I recommemd this hotel from all my heart to everyone for staying in the capital of Mexico

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My room was quiet and reasonably clean, but often hot and stuffy. I didn't use the electric fan because there were no extra outlets in the room. Mosquitos were also a problem. The windows should have had screens.
The staff is kind, friendly and generally approachable..
The restaurant is a joke. The breakfast buffet was okay but most dishes contained meat and I'm a vegetarian. Also very few meatless options on the dinner menu and the waiter after being informed twice that I'm a vegetarian brought me a plate of fetuccini laced with ham. He returned it for me but when he brought it back, after I ate most of it I discovered a piece of ham at the bottom so I had to almost force him to not charge me for it. He held a grudge and didn't give me the time of day for the rest of my stay.The plasma screens (three of them) are also unnecessary, especially during breakfast. Music would have been much nicer. A communal table for guests to meet and chat would also have been nice.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the back are quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Best hotel i stayed in so far in Mexico city for this price (700) the room is really clean like clean clean and the staf is really cool helpful. The rooms are big and the location is great and they have free computers for use in the lobby which helps when your eyes start hurting from your smartphone im in room 206 the view is not that great but dose not bother me would recommend this to anybody who who wants a nice H for a even nicer price !!!

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Hotel Del Principado? Share your experiences!