“Great staff, location and price...” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Del Principado
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Londres 42 | Colonia Juárez, Mexico City 06600, Mexico   |
Ranked #28 of 287 Hotels in Mexico City
Sydney, Australia
“Great staff, location and price...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I stayed here for four nights earlier this month and loved it. The room was lovely and exactly what I needed. The breakfast was yummy with plenty of choice. The location was fantastic. All the staff I encountered were extremely polite and helpful (reception, restaurant, concierge, driver etc). I was a little concerned staying in MC on my own but the staff put my mind at ease. They were able to recommend a great restaurant for me to attend on the Saturday night, which included a show and dancing... it was awesome! I used their 'hotel taxi' service and felt safer doing that. If I ever return to MC, this is definately the place I would want to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed in this hotel on our first night in Mexico City, $90US for two of us in a double queen room. They happily took our reservation over the phone without credit card several weeks before the date -- and remembered us when we arrived in the wee hours of the morning after a late night flight. The room was comfortable with many of the original fixtures of the quaint historic hotel, but there obviously had been renovations that ensured everything functioned well. I was impressed by the quality of the linen and the pillows were divine. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

good score for:
- friendly staff
- good location
- safe neigbourhood
- breakfast
- price is quite good, although I guess you can find better price/quality hotels but they are located further from the centre.

bad score:
- size of the rooms + the fact our room was located next to the reception desk. There was a window between it which couldn't be closed completely so in the morning at 6 we received our waking up call :s. Also you hear people crossing the hallway all the time.

conclusion: It's better than average but not great.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011 via mobile

I could, and have, paid 3 or 4x's more for hotels and have not gotten this good of value.
-Excellent location. Easy walk to the must-have tourist bus
-The nicest and most helpful staff- especially Emma
-Wine upon arrival.
-Free breakfast.
-High thread count sheets.
-Thick absorbent and large towels.
-Strong water pressure.
-Very hot water.
-Bottles of water in the room - free.
I'd return again here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2011
Monterrey, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

The hotel is located 1 block away from the Reforma 222 shopping mall, and a short walk from 2 metro stations, a great location for travelers. The neighborhood is safe and we didn't have any problems walking at night; just know that this is a very gay-friendly area, in case that you are looking for or aren't looking for that. At night it was quiet and we didn't have any problems going to bed.

For check-in we needed the reservation number and a picture ID, of which they make a copy. The staff was very friendly, the bellhop brought us maps and explained to us how to get around the city, and the desk clerk also helped us guarding our luggage for several hours after checking out. Official check-in and check-out is 1pm, but I saw a gentlemen arrive at 8:30am and he was allowed to check-in since there was a room available already. He was even given a complementary breakfast pass for that day!

The rooms are budget minded, at least the double room with a queen-size bed that we had. There's little space other than the bed, just a small desk with drawers, a TV in a cabinet with drawers, and two side tables with lamps. Upon arrival one lamp didn't work, I called the front desk and within 5 minutes someone came in and changed it for another one, good service. There is Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, I found 3 hotspots (consumer Linksys) and had some problems the second day connecting, but I was able to connect after some tries. If you don't bring a computer, there is a sitting room / computer room at the entrance of the hotel with computers available. My only complaint is the lack of safe in the room, if you need anything guarded you have to take it to the front desk to have it stored there. Also, there's no AC in the rooms, although given Mexico City's moderate weather you probably don't need it.

Lastly, our reservation came with free Wi-Fi and complimentary breakfast (available from 7-11am). This a 90 pesos value as others have pointed out, and the options are adequate and convenient: fruit, juices, cereals, eggs, chilaquiles, fried beans and rice, beef, pork, and chicken in several presentations, and sweet bread. We booked at BestDay and got a roughly 36% discount over the regular price.

Overall this is a good night's stay, budget minded, friendly staff, clean rooms and adequate amenities. However, if I planned to spend considerable time at the hotel or for a week-long stay, I'm not sure that I would choose it given the small room size.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
mexicali
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

The strategic location of this hotel is the best, is just 5 minutes by cab to chapultepec park, chapultepec castle, anthropology museum, great restaurants, reforma ave, insurgentes ave, zocalo plaza, center cathedral, wax and ripley museum almost everything is near this place, the staff is great anything u need dont be afraid to ask, Emma the manager speaks english, the restaurant is good in values and quality of the food, definitely a great place to stay, will come back next year.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Aside from being in a great location, this small hotel has a warm and wonderful atmosphere with all the comforts of home, from the sumptuous breakfast buffet to the bright office center with unlimited internet usage. The rooms are compact but very comfortable and the staff, starting with the wonderful, warm, and tireless manager Ema, will go out of their way to make sure you have all you need to enjoy your stay. And did I mention the great value--all of this can be had with breakfast for two for under $70 US depending on where you book. I have stayed in a lot of places in Mexico City over the years but none comes close to making me feel so welcome.

Room Tip: Top floor, corner rooms are very quiet.