“Flowers, birdsong, babbling fountain” 5 of 5 stars

Maria Del Alma
Calle Paris 220, Mexico City 04100, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 89 Mexico City B&B and Inns
Desert Hot Springs, CA
“Flowers, birdsong, babbling fountain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

We stayed two nights in a lower Queen bedroom at the back of this lovely property. I agree with the other reviewers who said that Fernando and his associate were gracious and welcoming hosts. The room was large and nicely decorated, with a comfortable bed, and a large bathroom. We enjoyed the breakfast very much, and especially sitting around afterward and watching and listening to the parakeets & cockatiels in cages around the area. I would definitely return to this B&B and recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is not advertised on the street so don't be concerned when you rock up to a modest looking door. As is common in Coyoacan this house is hidden behind walls, and once inside the courtyard sings with birds and hums with bees.
The room we stayed in was on the ground floor, its was well furnished, with a big comfy bed, and a Mexican tiled bathroom.
Breakfast is held on the big table in the courtyard together with the other guests, a good time to pick up trip suggestions, and tips.
Get up early to go to Frida's house, as the couches all arrive at opening and a queue forms.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We booked this small bed and breakfast on booking.com. It is one of the few bed and breakfasts/hotels in Coyoacan, Mexico City. It does not disappoint. It is about a 5 minute walk from Frida Kahlo's house and a 10 minute walk from the 2 large main squares in Coyoacan that have tons of restaurants and charming outdoor cafes. The owner, Fernando, and his partner, Jorge Luis are delightful (both speak English). They make a full breakfast every morning with fresh fruit, fresh squeezed orange juice, toast and then some sort of Mexican style egg dish. We had eaten a lot of eggs at other places so we requested oatmeal one morning. Delicious, made with oats and flax. Our room was above the dining area in the middle of the house. It's a very large blue room with an upscale bathroom, a fridge and access to the upper terrace. The room is very relaxing with lots of windows (might be too light for some, since it gets morning sun). Very quiet. My only complaint is that it only has one reading light and the bed is a "full" - a bit small for two people. Those are minor issues and I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Probably all rooms are good. The main street is not loud.
Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Nyborg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I really like this place. The house is beautiful and there is a lot of nice flowers and plants both on the terraces and in the patio. The owner and the other guy who operates the guest house are really nice and speaks English. There is a lot of birds both the owner's in cages but also wild birds: A colibri was sucking nectar next to me on the terrace.

The only flaw to the place is that the WIFI is of very low standard. When I arrived, I was told it worked in the communal areas and it kind of does if you can wait 5-10 minutes for it to open a web page and that is when you have four bars on the signal. So if you are dependent on a working Wifi, find another place.

I am to stay for almost a month in Mexico so I bought a Mexican telephone card with two gigs of data for my smartphone. That solved the problem and costed me 500 pesos.

I will probably visit this place again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the router :)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Fernando Ramirez could not have been more welcoming. South American friends and I rendezvoused in Mexico City and our stay at Maria del Alma added many superlatives to the whole experience! Enjoying delicious breakfast each morning, served by Fernando and Jorge, (sometimes with another friendly guest or two), we had the feeling that we were among friends or family. Though we were there just a few days, we felt like part of Coyoacan --- and we agreed that if we were ever to move to Mexico City, we would want to live in that community. That's how lovely the experience was. Lively night life nearby in the very safe plaza area plus easy access to the Turibus that can take you to Chapultepec, the Zocalo or wherever you want to go (bus stop in front of the big church near the plaza) are a couple of "pluses" of using this as your base for exploring Mexico City. Whatever we did during the day elsewhere, when we came back in the evenings, it was off to the plaza area for a late meal, with great atmosphere all around. Everything good; I cannot think of any suggestion for Mr. Ramirez; he is an excellent host who gives you the impression that he loves taking care of visitors in what was once his grandparents' home and now is a totally lovely place to "be" in Mexico. Please also read the other reviews here; I agree with everything the other reviewers had to say.

Room Tip: I didn't see the other rooms! The one I stayed in was lovely, convenient and comfortable.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

If you are looking for a difference experience of Mexico City, then you should stay at Maria del Alma. The house, not far from Frida Kahlo Museum, is beautiful. Fernando, its friendly host, will make you a delicious espresso or two in the morning and cook your breakfast to start your day in style. I agree with all other reviewers! Please look at some of the photos that I took.

Room Tip: The room at the far back of the house has the best terrace
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here in early July '13 and had a fantastic time.

Originally we were staying in Reforma, which is a nice area aswell, but we decided to move after falling in love with Coyoacan after visiting with our friend.

Fernando, the owner, is a FANTASTIC host. He accommodated us on our late arrival (10pm), provided tips on traveling around and was just a great person to talk to. FYI - he speaks great English so don't worry about practicing your bad Spanish on him.

The house itself is absolutely beautiful. Wonderful colors, warm atmosphere and interesting decorations everywhere. It felt like we were living in a Frida Kahlo painting. Truly phenomenal.

Our room had cable TV, a nice bathroom and a comfortable bed.

Breakfast was fantastic and served when we were ready. Fernando always made sure we felt comfortable and were well fed.

I HIGHLY recommend this place. It is in a great area and hosted by a fantastic and trust worthy guy. When my parents visit I am going to insist they stay here.

Room Tip: There are different rooms, so definitely talk to Fernando to find one that fits you best.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Maria Del Alma? Share your experiences!