“Above and beyond” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maximo Bistrot Local

Maximo Bistrot Local
Tonala 133 | Colonia Roma, Mexico City, Mexico (Centro)
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Maximo Bistrot Local is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 1,743 restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Mexican, Eclectic
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Centro
Cross street: Entre Guanajuato y Queretaro
Transit: Estamos a 2 cuadras de la estacion de Metrobus Alvaro Obregon.
Mexico DF
“Above and beyond”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

A lesson in averting disaster: After seeing a few reviews online before going, my expectations were already low; somebody wrote right here on Trip Advisor about "french meets spain" to which I could only shudder: horrible service meets oily food? In Mexico? Why? Still, we had a reservation and this place is apparently always packed so I soldiered on.

After going through the menu twice I could not find a single thing I would like to eat, so I proceeded with plan b, a salad... Which arrived promptly... Except it was full of arugula, which I cannot stand, and which they couldn't take out as it was already mixed in. After a couple of tries I gave up and started thinking about nearby options.

Now, I cannot fault the restaurant for not being to cater to a finicky vegetarian who happens to hate arugula... But here's where service comes in and saves the day: they would not let me go hungry and insisted on cooking something else for me, which turned out to be a zingy spaghetti in tomato sauce... If they can whip up something this good on the spot, which isn't really fair for their workflow, the menu has to be excellent. My friend enjoyed her meal, which consisted of burrata, squid ink pasta, banana pie. And in spite of my protests they didn't charge for either the salad or the spaghetti. Hats off to the Staff at Maximo Bistrot!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
Fanwood, New Jersey
“French meets Spanish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Not so much local cuisine I guess. But WOW, how they tickle your taste buds. Everything feels like small French bistro and the menu is like a little trip to Spain. One of the army of servers helped us to translate the daily changing menu with a vast Mexican wine selection. Would come back any time. Worthwhile every pesos.

Visited April 2013
PV
“WOW what a surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

What's NOT to like!? The ambience was very charming, a corner bistro -- inside and outside dining. Service was efficient but not burdensome. A small wine list but quite good. Started with the mussels -- perhaps the very best I've ever had the privilege to eat -- succulent, cooked to perfection, amazing! The dry aged steak was delicious. But the most incredible part was the rhubarb tart dessert! I don't usually eat much desserts, but this was no doubt the best dessert I've EVER had! Incredible, outstanding, delectible ... there just not enough adjectives to properly describe how amazing it was.

Thank you Maximo Bistrot -- I will DEFINITELY be back!!!

Visited March 2013
los gatos
“A Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This neighborhood bistro is a young couple's very fine venture. They are cooking European style dishes incorporating Mexican herbs, spices and flavorings. My partner had raviolis filled with huitlecoche, the corn fungus. I had lechon, roast leg of suckling pig served with polenta. Excellent! Wish I could have had more meals here. Informal, popular neighborhood eatery, and well deserving of the accolades it is receiving.

Visited February 2013
brighton
“Really good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This was our first experience of Mexican cuisine on our first night in Mexico City. We had been travelling for hours and hours and just wanted something quickly before going to bed. Our host suggested Maximo which was close by - what a good suggestion! Luckily they had one table available and we could get 3 chairs round it.

It is a cool neighbourhood bistro, the staff really friendly and not a word of english! The food was superb. The ceviche robalo (150 peso) was delectable and so tender as indeed was the escolar cebolla (180), a very light white fish with mash and tiny strips of apple and bacony oil. The red grouper (240) was delicious, just a little heavier.

It seemed very good value coming from UK where such good food would probably be more expensive.

• Visited February 2013