“Poor management of the servers and the kitchen” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: International
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Poor management of the servers and the kitchen”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We gave the Plaza 77 three opportunities to do well, as we stayed at the Plaza Suites Hotel, which is located in the same building. Plaza 77 is supposed to be the restaurant that provides room service for the hotel suites. At no point during our stay did more than four tables were occupied at the restaurant.
The first time we went there was our first morning in Mexico City, and we had breakfast in person. We found the service a little slow, and the food, although most of it properly cooked and presented, was served cold. In addition, the muffin under my eggs Benedict, was of poor quality, hard and almost inedible.
On a second chance, we tried to order room service and were told that the restaurant had closed early. I went downstairs to buy something in the neighborhood and noticed it was actually open. We called the restaurant directly and ordered food over the telephone to pick it up. We were told that it would be ready in twenty minutes. After twenty minutes had passed, I went downstairs to the restaurant to pick up the order. The manager or maitre d' went into the kitchen, ostensibly to retrieve the order (he did not really tell me so), and never came back. I asked the first waiter I saw if he could check on the order, and he ran into the kitchen, not to return either. After twenty minutes of this, I knocked on the kitchen door and asked what was the problem. A third, very polite gentleman came out, apologized, and offered me coffee. I politely declined (by then it was 9:00 p.m.), and asked for our order. Ten minutes later, my daughter came down from our hotel suite, wondering if anything had occurred to me. The order then appeared. Sure enough, her pasta dish was cold.
On a perhaps masochistic note, my wife and daughter went back a third time (without me) and, again, the service was extremely (by any standard) slow. We noticed that the managers and servers have the habit of running into the kitchen and leaving the restaurant empty of any employees whenever any guest asks about his or her order. Regrettably, the unusual thing is that they do not return promptly, explain what the problem is, or solve it.
It is a shame, as the decor of the restaurant is inviting and dining at Plaza 77 could be a very nice experience.

holanda
“Very good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Good food, nice service. Expensive for Mexico but reasonable for europeans and americans. Large portions.

Visited December 2011
“Perfect new restaurant near Downtown!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

This restaurant is new and the atmosphere is wonderful because you can see Reforma the main street in Mexico City!!

Its open since 8:00 am so you can have breakfast, lunch or dinner!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere