“Gone regular to bad” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Camino Real Aeropuerto

Save Saved
You added Camino Real Aeropuerto to your Saves list
Camino Real Aeropuerto
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Puerto Mexico 80 | Col Penon de los Banos, Mexico City 15520, Mexico   |
Ranked #151 of 279 hotels in Mexico City
Bogotá, Cundinamarca, Colombia
“Gone regular to bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Having visited - work related - literally all capitals of all countries in Latin America and normally enjoying the service of the hotels where I stay, the Camino Real Hotel located next to the international airport of Mexico D.F. stands out, unfortunately in a negative way. I already stayed there in this hotel several times since it's handy for business people with a busy travel schedule to have your hotel next to the aiport in a city where traffic is hectic. But that's the only reason why I stayed in this Camino Real hotel. The employees at the reception desk aren't friendly nor professional (due to a high people turnover? as I notice) requests to help you resolving issues which in the first place shouldn't be an issue (eg. failing wifi, locked minibar, ...) remain unanswered, simple topics like printing your invoice when checking out, opening a voucher for the other hotel consumptions you might have (eg. breakfast, ...) etc. several times are problematic. . Now, at my most recent stay at this hotel, the have gone to far by charging 14MXN (1USD) (!) for 1 sheet of paper to print my boarding pass for the next flight and 6MXN (0.5USD) (!) for using a computer exactly 1 minute (their official rate per minute) to print out this boarding pass and this while already paying 256MXN (20USD) to use the wifi network in my room. This is more than exagerating, this is abuse and milking your customer to the last penny, while at the same time offering a bad service. For my next visit I definitely will look for another hotel, even if this means I have to spend more time and money. Too much is simply too much!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

445 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Unless you really must have the convenience of being across the street from the airport, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. Any luster of the once-luxurious Camino Real brand has long since been worn off. I booked here because I had forgotten there is a hotel right in the airport. On arrival I saw a long line of people who I thought were waiting to check out. Fortunately, I ignored it and walked right up to an available staff person at the front desk. The long line (I'm talking going all the way to the back of the lobby and around the corner) was people waiting to check in due to a cancelled Iberia flight. Upon finishing my mediocre and expensive lunch, I found I had not been properly checked in so I was forced to return to the front desk to "open an account" so I could charge things to my room. Restaurant staff were as helpful as they could be under the circumstances. I went back to my room to freshen up and discovered that not only are the hallway carpets and walls threadbare and cracked respectively, the bathtub was terrible. The rooms manager (the one who checked me in wrong) apologized and said "Oh, I know about that room." She immediately upgraded me and my mother-in-law, who was arriving later, to an "executive floor" room with the cocktail, snacks and continental breakfast perks. Nice, but the poor experience kept on giving. Wifi (at $20/day) unreliable, and to get a refund I had to return the little slip of paper with the code on it; after a complaint the business center sent someone to my room to pick it up. At dinner with my mother in law, we were seated immediately but no waiter came until I complained to someone in a suit, who did take our drink order. Likewise, a mediocre and expensive buffet dinner. In the club room for breakfast the following morning, a similar story -- four people apparently assigned to work there, but only one actually serving guests, and he had to be tracked down to bring coffee. The complementary continental breakfast was comparable to a Motel 6, but without the waffle-maker. The bright side of the stay was a cheerful "botón¨ (bellman) who helped us to the airport to the airport. In fairness I have to acknowledge that the manager of rooms was genuinely apologetic for the state of the hotel; she is probably powerless to affect decisions being made elsewhere to rent out rooms that any decent hotel would block, rather than turn away a paying guest. This may be a paying strategy, because most people who use this hotel probably would not be repeat visitors anyway. But in my case, with reason to travel to or through MEX a few times a year, I certainly won't be returning.

Room Tip: Insist on a "renovated room," ask for an upgrade if they can't give you one. Be wary...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Bad service: The staff was rude, simply that.
I prepaid my room online. After waiting a long time the girl at the front desk, don't smile, take my passport and after typing stuff, give me a key. I ask where are the elevator she tells me over there on the left. When actually my room was in a new building. After finally finding my room and I had no internet. I come back downstairs and ask the front desk. Another rude guy, tells me "you have to pay". I am like ok, no problem but I can t even have access. He sent me to the concierge who sent me back to my room and tells me to call an external company and when I finally solve the problem the signal was very poor (one hour running around). Not easy when you are there for work and NEED internet.
Bad information: I wake up and ask info to take my united flight, Another person at the front desk, answer as rude as the other one. Over there she tells me.
OK room- the room was clean and quiet.
Will stay there only if I really need too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Queretaro, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed here several times and it keeps improving, it was really old but renovation has been started.
Long line to check in because of cancelled flights.
Rug at lobby is stained and dirty, PLEASE REMOVE.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Guadalajara, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We lost our flight back home and we had to stay at this hotel. The worst! We waited 1 hr on line so we can change our cupon aand get our room.
The restaurant very poor quality and bad service.
Bad view and looking old.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Camino Real brand was usually a guarantee of top notch quality and service. I was sadly disappointed to confirm that this is no longer true. The hotel is quite close to the airport and it has a walkway that connects it to the Terminal 1 National departures zone. Pretty much that's the only asset the hotel has.

All the carpets are old and stained, those in the hallways are also dirty, the service from the staff is dismal, the room is very small vs. price paid (a room at the W or at any Hilton of the same rate will be 50% larger).

It's a hotel that stayed in the 1980's even in maintenance but with prices updated to 2013. Also be aware that if you book online, you'll get a "discounted rate", but there is a no cancellation policy, so if you book online and try to cancel or get out of it once you see the hotel, they'll still charge you the full price of the reservation.

Room Tip: I'd say that pick one that doesn't face the runways... but my only true advice would be to s...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Paducah, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This hotel is showing its age, and needs a face-lift: hallway carpets are worn and dirty, doors are in need of sprucing up. The gym on the penthouse level is well equipped, but could use some replacement equipment, and the pool in the spa is too short for lap swimming , but not made for relaxation, so its really just a cement pond. Had to ask to find the gym, which illustrates the fact that not a lot of information is given at check-in, and nothing is available in the room. You have to go find it.
Breakfast is, by hotel standards, pretty spectacular. Made to order omelets, and a full compliment buffet.
Caution: internet is sold by the hour and by the day, but seems to work in the room without any log-in. Try before you buy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Camino Real Aeropuerto? Share your experiences!