“No nonsense atmosphere, great food, cheerful staff” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Café, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Waterloo, Canada
“No nonsense atmosphere, great food, cheerful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Unfortunately I do not remember the name of the dish I ordered, so I'll call it Pollo Loco. The Pollo Loco was very delicious, and was a generous portion too. What struck me about this place though was how cheerful the staff was; they all seemed to be genuinely happy to be there, having fun, which made me want to stay longer. I will definitely return next time I'm in Mexico City.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

85% Recommend
Davis, California, United States
“Surprisingly good food, excellent, small hard rolls (Italian style)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We started looking for a restaurant about 10:00 Sat. night and couldn't find anything open. Bertico Café was open, so we hungrily entered. NO atmosphere, rather uncommunicative staff. But the hot rolls in a basket were delicious, and my chicken kebobs with onion and green pepper were cooked perfectly. I was surprised as it mainly had the appearance of a coffee shop with appallingly rich coffee and whipped cream concoctions.

We both had decent wine (nothing to rave about but drinkable, both white and red, no choice for house wine--you get what they are serving). I had a Chilean chardonnay that tasted young and fruity, more like a sauvignon blanc, but I did order a second glass. It went well with the kebabs.

My husband had a rather simple pasta with tomatoes and we had to ask for parmesan--a huge container of Kraft parmesan was brought to us. The pasta was rather ordinary.

The restaurant was terribly hot inside so we sat near the front. The kitchen appears to be at the back of a long, narrow room and I don't think it had any ventilation. The further back in the restaurant, the hotter it became.

Yes, I will return, next time probably for breakfast.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Patzcuaro, Mexico
“Great Café on the Zócalo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Bertico has two locations that I know off, both half a block from the Zócalo. One on Madero, the other on 16 de Septiembre. Both locations are very busy and popular. I go to Mexico City every month and I go to Bertico for breakfast because it is always great. To start my day I need great strong coffee and at Bertico I always enjoy my breakfast. They also have a great selection of Mexican dishes and other specialties. Friendly service and great prices. For exemple, a double expresso and a large croissant at Bertico will cost you 42 pesos, at Starbucks across the street on 16 de septiembre, the same thing will cost you 54 pesos, that´s 28,5% more than Bertico.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Great Breakfast and pastries”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Whenever I visit Mexico City I stay in the Historic Center and have Breakfast and sometimes afternoon coffee and pastry at Cafe Bertico. I know 2 locations on Madero. One is close to the Zocalo and the other one is further up on Madero towards the Latin American Tower, I usually use the second location. The Breakfast selection is very good and the food tasty and the coffee served is good and strong like I prefer it. The pastries are Viennese style and are delicious and one of the best in Mexico. Another reason I like the cafe is because Internet and computers are available to rent at a very low price. A great place for travelers to catch up on their e-mails.

• Visited December 2012