Journeys Beyond the Surface Private Popular Culture Tours
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Custom tours in Mexico City, Oaxaca and now IRAN!! Together, we create a private tour to expose you to the many social, political and cultural facets of Mexico City, exploring streets and neighborhoods in a way that is engaging and safe. By the end of the day, you will come away with a deeper and more complex understanding of this city that we love so much.
chapel hill
4 attraction reviews
“Great private tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We are 4 senior adults who wanted a specific tour with a driver. Mosh de was very easy to deal with and it was great to be able to pay with Paypal. We went with Sergio who spoke beautiful English and was well informed on the sites in Mexico City. He also accompanied us to the canals which were so much fun! There are several dock areas and to find them is very confusing, I would strongly advise a guide who also drives as he did. The traffic is awful and everything very crowded. Don' waste your time. Arrange a tour with these people . In the end, you will a better time a save money.

Los Angeles area
10 attraction reviews
“Special Mexico City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We very much enjoyed our tours in Mexico City. Our three Journeys guides each had a distinct personality and contributed to our enjoyment and understanding of history and cultural context. They were all great ambassadors for the region and we look forward to future travels in the area!

Visited February 2014
Seattle, Washington
“From the Aztecs to Leon Trotsky in one day !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Our 3-day trip to Mexico City was organized at short notice and we were scrambling to figure out what to see and do once we got there. I had read so much Mojdeh and Journeys beyond the Surface on trip advisor that I had to try it out.

And I am glad we did!

Mojdeh helped us plan our entire trip including the days we would be exploring by ourselves. She replied to our emails well into her night. In a matter of a couple days, we had a plan that we were excited about. We understood how to get around, what ATMs to use, how to discover local events.

Our tour was scheduled for Saturday and we spent it with Alvaro. We elected to use public transport to get closer feel of the city. We learned about the history of Mexico City as Alvaro took us through the various blocks of Reforma from Chapultepec to Ballet Folklorico. His ability to unfold the pages of history as we passed each landmark took us all back in time and back to the present as a street protest passed in front of us. We ate at little candy shops, stopped to talk about the public art and looked at some of the oldest newspaper stands.

Our journey for the rest of the day continued through Coyocan, Xochimilco with a meal at a very local food court and a taste of Mexican coffee and finally a train back home with
crowds of football (soccer) fans returning from the game.

Alvaro's love for his country and his deep knowledge shines through every moment of the tour. He has a story at every turn, from Carlos Slim to Leon Trotsky. He gives as much as you ask. We didn't waste a moment talking to him and learning about Mexico City. We didn't stop at our scheduled eight hours either. We wanted to extend our tour and Alvaro kept going till we were done.

I have learnt so much about Mexico in just one day. I have a completely different perspective about the country and its people. I don't think I would seen the life around the "attractions" without Alvaro's company.

I can't wait to go back and dive deeper now!

Thanks Mojdeh and Alvaro!

San Francisco, California
“Mexico City Brought to Life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

From the very first response to my email inquiry, I knew I was in good hands. Mojdeh is a true professional and a gracious hostess. Her initial email was full of useful information - how to best change cash, navigate taxis at the airport, etc. - and she sent a complete first-day walking itinerary for the neighborhood near my hotel when she couldn't find a guide on my less-than 8 hour notice. She makes an effort to understand exactly what you are looking to get out of your tour, and delivers above & beyond.

In delivering, she did so in the form of Alvaro, one of the most engaging, frank and informed guides I have ever had the pleasure of touring a city with. You want to dissect Rivera murals? Alvaro knows the story behind every last detail. Have questions about the economy, politics, education system? Alvaro has answers and perspective. Ever heard of pulque, a traditional fermented cactus juice? Let's give it a try!

At times I could have been with a good friend, professor or art curator - he was that expansive and at the same time that detailed and direct (and funny, to boot). It is no exaggeration to say Alvaro truly brought the city alive, as within even a few blocks of our hotel he pointed out fascinating details I otherwise would have overlooked (the buildings slowly sinking into the ground, a disproportionately oversized sculpture of a man who was petite in real life). Furthermore, we effortlessly navigated the streets and public transportation systems in a way that would have been confusing - at the least - on my own. I was afforded a perspective I would have never though possible, and was left with an incredible affinity for Mexico City, with all of its complexities and breadth. All of this in a single day tour!

I cannot recommend Mojdeh and Alvaro enough. I was left wanting to see more of Mexico City, and my only regret was that I did not have more time.

nyc
3 attraction reviews
“Mojdeh and her guides MADE our vacation in Mexico City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Let me start by saying, I am not a person who does tours. I am extremely independent and hate listening to boring guides. But when my husband and I decided to go to Mexico City during a pretty busy time at my job, I decided that engaging some guides might not be a bad idea....at least to help us get the lay of the land since this is such a huge city....and also to take us to see the pyramids. I found Mojdeh here on trip advisor. She had great reviews so I began a conversation with her. From the very beginning she was knowledgeable, patient, wise, flexible, and she ultimately arranged for us to work with 2 different guides-David and Alvaro...very different, but both AMAZING!!! Both smart, warm, entertaining, brilliant guides. Both very sensitive to our needs,willing to adapt to what we were interested in, they shared not only vast information about their city/country , but made us feel as if we were spending over 8hrs a day with friends. I can not tell you how much we learned about the city,the people, the culture, the history , the murals...honestly, We could never have had this rich experience without these guides and Mojdeh. Alvaro is an amazing artist and teacher. Mexico City has so many museums and so much public art, he brought the art to life! David has a background in anthropology and used his iPad to help us visualize mexico city's past...After 3 days with our guides, everything we saw on our own took on a new significance.
.On top of all of this, David, Alvaro and Mojdeh went above and beyond ...when we told David we wanted to taste some real homemade tamales, he stopped by our apartment one morning and walked us to his family's tamale restaurant/stand, where his whole family welcomed and fed us. Delicious!!
Before and during our trip, Mojedh was sort of our "lifeline" ,,answering questions, giving advice, recommending restaunrants... One of the biggest,and most delightful surprises---Mojdeh arranged to meet up with us...and not just meet!!! She spoke to the guides to find out what we really liked to do...she walked us to a museum we wanted to visit...waited for us.. Took my wine-loving husband for a lovely glass of wine,while I got to shop at a market I had wanted to visit...and then helped him find a wine store,...all of this at no charge to us!!! We parted that day at about 2pm, so grateful for Mojdeh's generosity., and so happy to have gotten to know her. She is a delight.
So if you want a very special one-of-a-kind experience, that is what you will get with Mojdeh and her guides. They are the absolute best!!!!!

Visited February 2014

Travelers who viewed Journeys Beyond the Surface Private Popular Culture Tours also viewed

Mexico City, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast

Been to Journeys Beyond the Surface Private Popular Culture Tours? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Journeys Beyond the Surface Private Popular Culture Tours, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.