“Nice Space” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Centro Historico Regina

You added Hostal Centro Historico Regina to your Saves list
Hostal Centro Historico Regina
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   5 de Febrero #53 Col. Centro | Del. Cuauhtemoc, Mexico City 06000, Mexico (Centro)   |
Sydney, Australia
“Nice Space”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed in the "family room" (2 king size beds, 2 ensuites and a mezzanine), which was lovely, but not typical of the dorm experience.

The room was very comfortable, with a micro balcony overlooking the pedestrianised Regina St. Breakfast was nice for a bread + coffee hostel breakfast: a pastry and cinnamon brewed coffee from the cafe downstairs.

The vibe of the hostel was nice, though quiet (we arrived Xmas day). The location is central and a short walk to the Zocalo. Street noise wasn't a problem for us, as we weren't overlooking 5 de Febrero, the busy street.

There is a nice kitchen, though no drinking water provided - which should be a given for any accommodation in mexico. Also, the security door on the ground level could definitely do with upgrading. There seems to be an occasional security guard on duty late at night in the absence of a stronger door.

The roof bar is nice and finished, though not operating during our Xmas stay.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Overall, I thought hostel regina was good. Was relatively clean, and staff were nice to deal with. A lot of travellers on trip advisor seem to complain about the noise. I did not find this to be a problem, also the hostel is in the middle of centro historico, so of course there is going to be some noise. The dorms were very large, but thought this was cool, lots of people to meet. Breakfast was free, although small. Location was great.

The areas where I thought they could improve was the wireless (it really only worked down in the foyer), there was no rooftop bar, although I understand this was being renovated at the time, security was ok, not a priority though, and there was a lack of help for your ongoing travels. A lot of travellers use Mex City as their strating point for Mex and Central America. It would have been good if Hostel Regina offered help to travellers for booking buses, tours etc. We did this all through Hostel Amigos, which also looks to be a good hostel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I stayed with 3 friends in a private room, in November. The room was pretty cool - a massive bed, then a walk-up some stairs to another massive bed. Bathrooms both up- and downstairs, but the shower is upstairs only.

LOCATION: Good, easy to walk to the center. Felt safe. Can be loud at night, though, since the street beside it has bars and sometimes musicians playing at night.

CLEANLINESS: Beds were clean, towels also provided.

BATHROOM: We had a private bathroom. It wasn't bad, though be careful that too much water can result in leaking through to the bottom floor.

BREAKFAST: Get a slip from reception and have a cup of coffee (it tasted vaguely of cinnamon) and a bread at the cafe downstairs. I think breakfast started at 8, except for on the weekend.

WIFI: No reception in the room, and worked extremely slowly on our last day there.

RECEPTION: Very friendly and helpful staff. Had a nice chat with Crista (hope I spelled that right), who helped us book our tour to Taxco, and gave us information about other stuff.

ADDITIONAL: As with the rest of Mexico, it helps to know a bit of Spanish. Just a brief reminder also to check out the tours at the counter, and you can ask reception to call you a taxi, since it's apparently not safe to hail one on the streets.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Centrally located, near metro. Really nice bathrooms. Problem we had was the bedroom doors were glass so we had to shut blankets in the door to be able to sleep. Breakfast was included in the price, but they never bothered to open early enough for us to have (we waited till 8.45 and still nothing). Nice terrace upstairs. Would recommend, just not the adjoining restaurant!!

• Stayed November 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

This Hostel is perfectly located in the Centro Historico, within walking distance of all the attractions, 3 metro stations to take you further afield and on Regina street which is a pedestrianised street full of bars and restaurants. The hostal itself it's lovely, the building is stunning and has an army of cleaners day and night maintaining the hostel, the shared bathrooms are very clean and very new, the staff are friendly and helpful. It would be an amazing stay if it wasn't for the level of noise, don't get me wrong, we are NOT light sleepers, but the unavoidable noise from the street below, specially at the weekends it's like sleeping in a very noisy bar, we stayed on the first floor so perhaps further up would be better, if it wasn't for the rooftop bar also blearing music downwards. The wifi only worked 2 days out of 5 that we were there, but they have 3 free computers that you can use, the breakfast is standard Mexican pastry and a coffee, and the kitchen is very well equipped to cook simple meals. So if the noise doesn't put you off and you can sleep through anything then definitely stay here!

• Stayed August 2013
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

A good place to stay in centro historico. Hostel was clean and safe, bathrooms are modern and clean. There are 2 cafes in the hostel lobby. Kitchen was clean, although I didn't use it. Breakfast didn't happen until 9 am and was very basic- not worth the wait.

• Stayed July 2013
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Hello,

Regretfully my experience with Hostal Centro Historico Regina was very disappointing. My partner and I visited the hostel during June 2013. I found some reviews online that served as a warning of what was about to come: Poor hygiene was one of them. We booked a private room and made it to DF after a very long trip. I found the kitchen dirty and messy, I took a photo right away. The bathrooms were full of toilet paper and un-flushed. I as soon as I got there asked the staff to clean them up. They were nice enough to do it. This hostal has a serious water supply problem. It ran out of it almost every evening, and you could tell there wasn't enough care into preserving the water or instructing visitors to be conscious. Although it was rainy season, the hostel did nothing to collect or preserve this precious resource at all, it seem like an awful waste. There were more interested in expanding businesses on their first floor, causing great inconvenience to the visitors because of all the loud noise in the morning These businesses are loud and smoke up the entire hostel with bbq smell, so keep this in mind if you are not a meat eater. There is poor ventilation and very poor higene on these restorants, I personally got sick eating at one of them.

So to sum up I am sick, first night in this Hostel and the kitchen is messy, and a bunch of loud students are just hanging outside screaming. I went outside and asked them politely to be quiet.
And so did the security guard of the hostel, the ignored him but listened to me. Finally some rest.

Next morning, complete horror. I got bitten around 50 times by voracious FLEAS !!! I run downstairs and ask the desk to please fumigate. What a nightmare. They took more than 24 hours to do anything about it. Finally on day 3 they fumigated in the morning. We left the staff do their work and spend a day outside. The weather was brutal, lots of rain and we got stuck on our way back to the hostel. We were tired and really needed some rest. We got to the hostel and our bed was a complete mess. The staff fumigated took all of the bedding and pillows and turned them into a ball on the floor. And just left it there for hours. How convenient, and I payed 4 days in advance. I felt like a real jerk going downstairs again to ask for something that is a given at most places, that the staff won't trash your room. I obviously took a photo of this and the staff provided bedding that was suppose to be clean... We ended up soaked making our own bed and being really tired. the FLEA BITES continued for the last night. I had to visit a doctor when I got back and make sure I did not bring any back. This place was a complete disappointment. I learned that the administrators name is Paulina, I would be really happy to talk to her but her information is not online I also would advice if any person like me has had a similar issue to please write an email to http://www.profeco.gob.mx/ (consumer protection services mexico) . I send this as an open letter to Paulina , my information can be made available to anyone who is interested in my story just email me at andyisforsale@hotmail.com I will post the pictures online on twitter and facebook and on any form of social media because they are real, so as my frustration an so as the money I payed upfront to come to this place.

My experience could not have been worst, I was made sick by this place in so many ways. So to sum it up I was ready to leave for sure on my last day, we packed early and I asked the night before the staff how much will it be to go to the airport on the cabs they called. She replied 120 pesos. I was very emphatic to ask if there won't be any extra charge at all, so much that I asked her 4 more times on different times of the morning. Big surprise, the cab rider comes, they talk a bit and its 140 pesos now. I could not take it at this point. I am native spanish speaker and I let her have a piece of my mind, I was so tired of this 'trying to squeeze the money out of you' at the end they had no courage to ask 20 more pesos from me ( I did not have any ) so they took me at the agreed rate (victory!!).

So to summarize. This review is an open letter, to Paulina te owner. Please reply to me on the email provided.

HOSTEL CENTRO HISTORICO REGINA was a sum of :

FLEAS, the DIARREA, the poor hygiene, the noise, the stupid investments they did on crappy design features to sell their hostel via photos online but not take care of basic WATER STORAGE or preservation. So unconscious and seems like such a waste. If the administrator has any reparation to make to make this situation not happen again to their visitors I would love to hear it, also I felt that I payed for something that was not up to par, and that ended up being a very serious treat to my health, I have been sick due to the excess Flea bites and stomach intoxication for over a week and had to take a lot of meds.

DON'T VISIT THIS HOSTEL SAVE YOURSELF FROM THE INCONVENIENCE

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MarianaMoctezuma, General Manager at Hostal Centro Historico Regina, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guest, I know that when we disappoint someone the way we did with you an apology is just out of line, but I personally need to apologize for all that you suffer at our Hostel.
Indeed we had a very large group of students staying with us for more than a month and they didn’t care about the cleaning. We asked them several times to wash their dishes that they used from the kitchen but they did nothing. We really need help from our guests to keep our public areas clean. Fortunately we now have a person in charge of checking this all the time.
As for the water issue, the entire city has a problem with the water supply. We normally have a certain amount of water stored, but sometimes that is just not enough. Now we have installed a system for recollecting the rain water because we are trying to be more green.
About the restaurants they don’t belong to us so we are a little bit hand-tighted on this one.
We asked them every day to turn the music down and we have managed to arrange some deals with them but every time they have new staff is the same problem all over again.
Finally, we fumigate twice a month no matter what.
I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to write all this. Only like this we can grow and we can get better. I want you to know that we are taking everything in consideration, we are changing beds, we have more staff and we are recollecting water, therefore we are sure these matters will be solved right away.
Sincerely, Paulina Hernandez.