“Safe, clean hostel in good centro historico location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Centro Historico Regina

Save Saved
You added Hostal Centro Historico Regina to your Saves list
Hostal Centro Historico Regina
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   5 de Febrero #53 Col. Centro | Del. Cuauhtemoc, Mexico City 06000, Mexico (Centro)   |
Melbourne, Australia
“Safe, clean hostel in good centro historico location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

A good place to stay in centro historico. Hostel was clean and safe, bathrooms are modern and clean. There are 2 cafes in the hostel lobby. Kitchen was clean, although I didn't use it. Breakfast didn't happen until 9 am and was very basic- not worth the wait.

• Stayed July 2013

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Hello,

Regretfully my experience with Hostal Centro Historico Regina was very disappointing. My partner and I visited the hostel during June 2013. I found some reviews online that served as a warning of what was about to come: Poor hygiene was one of them. We booked a private room and made it to DF after a very long trip. I found the kitchen dirty and messy, I took a photo right away. The bathrooms were full of toilet paper and un-flushed. I as soon as I got there asked the staff to clean them up. They were nice enough to do it. This hostal has a serious water supply problem. It ran out of it almost every evening, and you could tell there wasn't enough care into preserving the water or instructing visitors to be conscious. Although it was rainy season, the hostel did nothing to collect or preserve this precious resource at all, it seem like an awful waste. There were more interested in expanding businesses on their first floor, causing great inconvenience to the visitors because of all the loud noise in the morning These businesses are loud and smoke up the entire hostel with bbq smell, so keep this in mind if you are not a meat eater. There is poor ventilation and very poor higene on these restorants, I personally got sick eating at one of them.

So to sum up I am sick, first night in this Hostel and the kitchen is messy, and a bunch of loud students are just hanging outside screaming. I went outside and asked them politely to be quiet.
And so did the security guard of the hostel, the ignored him but listened to me. Finally some rest.

Next morning, complete horror. I got bitten around 50 times by voracious FLEAS !!! I run downstairs and ask the desk to please fumigate. What a nightmare. They took more than 24 hours to do anything about it. Finally on day 3 they fumigated in the morning. We left the staff do their work and spend a day outside. The weather was brutal, lots of rain and we got stuck on our way back to the hostel. We were tired and really needed some rest. We got to the hostel and our bed was a complete mess. The staff fumigated took all of the bedding and pillows and turned them into a ball on the floor. And just left it there for hours. How convenient, and I payed 4 days in advance. I felt like a real jerk going downstairs again to ask for something that is a given at most places, that the staff won't trash your room. I obviously took a photo of this and the staff provided bedding that was suppose to be clean... We ended up soaked making our own bed and being really tired. the FLEA BITES continued for the last night. I had to visit a doctor when I got back and make sure I did not bring any back. This place was a complete disappointment. I learned that the administrators name is Paulina, I would be really happy to talk to her but her information is not online I also would advice if any person like me has had a similar issue to please write an email to http://www.profeco.gob.mx/ (consumer protection services mexico) . I send this as an open letter to Paulina , my information can be made available to anyone who is interested in my story just email me at andyisforsale@hotmail.com I will post the pictures online on twitter and facebook and on any form of social media because they are real, so as my frustration an so as the money I payed upfront to come to this place.

My experience could not have been worst, I was made sick by this place in so many ways. So to sum it up I was ready to leave for sure on my last day, we packed early and I asked the night before the staff how much will it be to go to the airport on the cabs they called. She replied 120 pesos. I was very emphatic to ask if there won't be any extra charge at all, so much that I asked her 4 more times on different times of the morning. Big surprise, the cab rider comes, they talk a bit and its 140 pesos now. I could not take it at this point. I am native spanish speaker and I let her have a piece of my mind, I was so tired of this 'trying to squeeze the money out of you' at the end they had no courage to ask 20 more pesos from me ( I did not have any ) so they took me at the agreed rate (victory!!).

So to summarize. This review is an open letter, to Paulina te owner. Please reply to me on the email provided.

HOSTEL CENTRO HISTORICO REGINA was a sum of :

FLEAS, the DIARREA, the poor hygiene, the noise, the stupid investments they did on crappy design features to sell their hostel via photos online but not take care of basic WATER STORAGE or preservation. So unconscious and seems like such a waste. If the administrator has any reparation to make to make this situation not happen again to their visitors I would love to hear it, also I felt that I payed for something that was not up to par, and that ended up being a very serious treat to my health, I have been sick due to the excess Flea bites and stomach intoxication for over a week and had to take a lot of meds.

DON'T VISIT THIS HOSTEL SAVE YOURSELF FROM THE INCONVENIENCE

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MarianaMoctezuma, General Manager at Hostal Centro Historico Regina, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guest, I know that when we disappoint someone the way we did with you an apology is just out of line, but I personally need to apologize for all that you suffer at our Hostel.
Indeed we had a very large group of students staying with us for more than a month and they didn’t care about the cleaning. We asked them several times to wash their dishes that they used from the kitchen but they did nothing. We really need help from our guests to keep our public areas clean. Fortunately we now have a person in charge of checking this all the time.
As for the water issue, the entire city has a problem with the water supply. We normally have a certain amount of water stored, but sometimes that is just not enough. Now we have installed a system for recollecting the rain water because we are trying to be more green.
About the restaurants they don’t belong to us so we are a little bit hand-tighted on this one.
We asked them every day to turn the music down and we have managed to arrange some deals with them but every time they have new staff is the same problem all over again.
Finally, we fumigate twice a month no matter what.
I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to write all this. Only like this we can grow and we can get better. I want you to know that we are taking everything in consideration, we are changing beds, we have more staff and we are recollecting water, therefore we are sure these matters will be solved right away.
Sincerely, Paulina Hernandez.
Gracias
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Great location, the hostel is located 5min walk from the Zócolo, and is close to the attractions of the Historic district. It is also close to several subway lines, which is extremely cheep. I found the hostel very safe and the staff spoke english and were friendly. The only negative was the traffic noise.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
MarianaMoctezuma, Guest Relations Manager at Hostal Centro Historico Regina, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments, it is a pleasure to have met your expectations, we have a highly committed to help you in everything you need. Due to our location tourist is why the activity on the street can end a little late and for rest and comfort of our guests the time of our check out is at noon.
Yellowknife, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Hostal Regina is the perfect base for an exploration of Mexico City, within walking distance of everything from the San Pedro markets to Casa de Luis Barragan. The hostel is at the edge of the city's historic district and at the centre of an urban renewal project that makes the visitor part of a bohemian neighbourhood filled with music, street food and public art. Hostal Regina is clean and secure; the staff knows the city and makes every effort to help visitors. As a bonus, they stored my luggage while I continued a two month tour through Mexico, Belize and Guatemala.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your good feedback, causes us great joy to know that your stay was enjoyable and above all the location was convenient. Our staff is pleased to serve the needs of our guests and always try to help where we can
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This wasn't a hostel as much as a hotel where you split paying for a room with a bunch of strangers. Very nice modernized building. 24 hour security visible doing rounds and watching the door. The 24 hour front desk is incredibly helpful, and speaks english if no habla español muy bien. Very clean. The lockers in the dorm room were a little questionable, but the front desk was always happy to put my valuables in the safe when I went out for the day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
MarianaMoctezuma, Guest Relations Manager at Hostal Centro Historico Regina, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Is good to know that your stay at the hostel has been a success; for us it was all a taste to assist you. We are also happy to know that you saw high care we have our facilities as well as the cleaning of the same; rest assured that this aspect is very important to us and we will continue taking care of it. We hope to welcome you soon, we will have new activities which we are sure will enjoy.
Trondheim, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I´ve stayed at Hostel Regina two times, and reckon its one of the best hostels ive stayed at. Short walk to the plaza, so the location is great. Staff is friendly, and its very clean. Tours can be arranged through the hostel with really knowledgeable guides. Awesome rooftop bar, with some of the cheapest beer in town! I´ll definitely stay at this hostel next time im in Mexico city.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
It was a pleasure to serve you and we hope to see you again soon,you can rest assured that our staff will always be happy to give you more information and help you plan your stay.
Perhaps might be interested know that we constantly organize hosting packages related to certain special events in the city; such as concerts or exhibitions please feel free to visit us soon!
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Mexico City! We stayed here for a week and were overly impressed. It is located in a beautiful part of the city, close to everywhere we wanted to visit. The service was outstanding. Also, it was impeccably clean and beautifully decorated. I recommend it 100%
Good job ladies!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words, it was a pleasure to meet you, perhaps in a future for your next stay you can be interested in taking one of the tours that we have. These tours are a popular choice among our guests since there are several tourist destinations of interest and the atmosphere in them is always very friendly and fun. Please do not hesitate to ask about this option at the front desk during your next visit.

Been to Hostal Centro Historico Regina? Share your experiences!