“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Centro Historico Regina

You added Hostal Centro Historico Regina to your Saves list
Hostal Centro Historico Regina
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   5 de Febrero #53 Col. Centro | Del. Cuauhtemoc, Mexico City 06000, Mexico (Centro)   |
Montreal, Canada
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at this hostel a while ago and had a pretty awful experience. The female dorm was overcrowded and suffocating. There is a mezzanine dorm above the main floor and everything is open aired, therefore sounds are amplified; giving the impression of being in a summer camp dorm. For 2-3 days in a row, the water was cut off in all bathrooms for a few hours, both in the morning and at night. When commented upon this, the staff was indifferent at best. WARNING: An employee (who pretended to be a bakpacker), Marco Soto, seeks to take advantage of female travellers.

The only positive thing I can comment on is the location which is very central and close to main attractions and the metro. Would definately not stay there again neither would I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Ciudad Guayana, Venezuela
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed there along with my students who where there while attending a Model United Nations. The staff was very helpful all the time and the location of the hostel is quite good, right in the middle of downtown, close to Zocalo and to the subway station. Many shops and restaurants nearby. The big minus is the extreme noise at nights specially when they apparently rent the upper floor for concerts. Plus, the street outside is full of life even late at night so sleeping might be difficult -a bad thing if you are tired after a long day-. The breakfast doesn't even worth some words -avoid it-.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
MarianaMoctezuma, Guest Relations Manager at Hostal Centro Historico Regina, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
A pleasure is to know good reviews, our goal is to provide the best service to each of our guests, no doubt be in the historic centre can cause some factors of noise but nothing to bother your stay, since we also have 24-hour reception service. We hope to have him back with us.
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This place is unbelievably noisy. It's more a nightclub than a hostel. The service was average. Our private room was never cleaned in 5 days (including the bathroom and toilet paper bin). The room was also windowless. At times it was like a sauna. I'd hate to stay there during the summer. There was no consideration given to guests trying to sleep. Possibly the worst place I've ever stayed. It is truly amazing that this place gets any positive reviews.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed in this hostel for two days in January and afforded myself the luxury of a double room. On arrival the hostel appeared clean and was quite busy with other guests.

My room was spacious, appeared clean, was next to the communal bathrooms and had windows opening to the central atrium of the hostel. Despite my proximity to the bathrooms and stairwell and the fact that the room overlooked the atrium it was pleasantly quiet.

The roof bar / terrace is very nice however is surrounded by high walls which hampers any view.

The staff seemed friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable, however they knowingly checked me into a room with bedbugs. Furthermore they fumigated the room, which can spread bedbugs to luggage, during my stay!

I have stayed in many hostels all over the world and I realise that bedbugs are common and do not reflect hygiene or cleanliness. I also realise that they can easily be both eradicated and spread. It is inexcusable for management to be aware of a problem and not tell / warm guests. This contributes to the spread of bedbugs.

I have no doubt that such a busy hostel will eradicate this problem shortly, therefore this should not put you off staying there. If anything puts you off staying there let it be the attitude of the management.

Below is what happened in more detail:

At night when I going to bed I noticed a blood stain (a small spot) on the white sheets and requested another sheet from reception. I was provided with a couple of new sheets and made my bed again. The next morning I noticed a couple of new blood spots on the clean sheets I had requested and in a rush to visit the nearby Teotihuacan Pyramids left without giving it much thought. Upon my return to the room I was greeted with what looked like a robbery site with my clothes tossed on the floor and bed scrunched up. None of my personal belongings were missing however so I enquired as to what had happened. I was informed that the rooms were undergoing ‘routine regular fumigation’ and it was nothing to worry about. My bed was made up with new sheets.

That night prior to going to sleep I saw a bedbug, evidently disturbed into early awakening by the prior fumigation. I immediately complained and was given a change of room. The night reception staff apologised profusely and admitted they had experienced problems with bedbugs and my complaint was not the first. I was immediately moved to another room and isolated my luggage.

Upon my return home I had to hot wash everything and keep my belongings isolated. I also developed a delayed reaction to the bites that made me worry I had brought bedbugs home!

I am not upset that this hostel had bedbugs, as they are common, spread easily and with professional extermination can be effectively dealt with. I am upset they housed me in a room with them and may have contributed to their spread!

Room Tip: In the coming months actively enquire about the bedbug status and isolate your luggage as a precauti...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Irma_Mabarak, Guest Relations Manager at Hostal Centro Historico Regina, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment us, we are very sorry to know about this situation. As you comment sometimes in the hostels we suffer of bedbugs, but we can assure you that this is not lack of hygiene but due to the rotation of guests from all around the world we have the opportunity of lodging. Nevertheless we would like to inform you that as soon as we realized the problem we acted immediately and programmed a series of fumigating sessions on all of our rooms. We understand and appreciate your concern on spreading the problem, but we assure you that we scheduled a series of fumigating session precisely to effectively eradicate the problem in all of our dorms. We hope to have the opportunity of some day receiving you again; we would love to have a second chance to show you how much we care about our guests´ complete satisfaction.
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Very short walk to the Zocalo, the place is very clean and the facilities excellent, the staff gave us an amazing service very polite and friendly. The roofterrace at weekends is so good with the parties and cool drinks i tried something called black pearl was so good and hip. I really liked hostel regina i will come back here anytime very very recommended.

Room Tip: any room is nice and with a balcony
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
We are very happy to know that you enjoy your stay in the hostel and that you liked our common areas. We feel also very proud to know you enjoyed the new drink you tried. Our colleagues are fond of introducing our foreign friends to all the different aspects of our culture so please do not hesitate to ask for any particular interest you might have next time. We are sure we will be able to show you lots of new stuff you will enjoy!
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

A bit of a party hostel - both in the hostel lobby/bar/restaurant and from the streets below which host a variety of (often poor quality) buskers that play to the people sat outside cafes.

Facilities are good with 3 free-for-20mins PCs with internet, and free wifi. Breakfast is standard with weak coffee and two pancakes with syrup. Ok if you're on a budget.

Kitchen is decent with a microwave, gas cooker and a fridge.

Rooms have beautiful high ceilings. I had a double with a friend and it was incredibly spacious!

Staff are helpful and speak good English.

Tours are available from reception, but as ever with tours in Mexico, they are often unorganised which can penalise the tourist when, for example, the driver of your van disappears and no-one quite knows when or when to meet up, or as happened to me at the end of the wrestling tour, the minibus driver wanted to drop me and some other Regina residents at another hostel for us to find our own way home, as it wasn't the same bus that had picked us up (all part of the same tour but regardless he wanted to save time/money!). Be aware!

Regina however is a nice place to stay - noisy but nice.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms opening over the "Regina street" pedestrianised side where the cafes are. Also...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Irma_Mabarak, Guest Relations Manager at Hostal Centro Historico Regina, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for your sincere words, it was our pleasure to receive you. In the Hostel we try our best to create a fun and entertaining environment where our guests can meet interesting and new people and end up having a great time. We also have additional services like the tours you mention. The company in charge of these tours picks up our guests at the Hostel and returns them to this same location. Therefore the situation you mention is unacceptable and we have talked to our Tour operator in order to prevent it from happening ever again.
Nevertheless these tours are still an excellent alternative for our guests that desire to get to know new and interesting places by the time they get familiarized with our culture, so we definitely suggest them also for your next visit. Perhaps next time you would like to visit Xochimilco or the Teotihuacan Pyramids!
Florence, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights recently, and it's a good option in DF. It´s a short walk to the Zocalo, metro, and lots of places to eat. It does have a rooftop terrace but no one was ever really up there unless with a group. It was clean, good showers, comfy beds. The staff are bilingual and very willing to explain things. I asked a lot of questions at first because using the metro freaked me out (I get lost easily), and they were always super nice and patient. Use the metro it´s easy, cheap and so much faster! They do have tours and stuff but I did everything on my own. Breakfast was basic but always fine and cooked to order. They have a good restaurant too which is open to the public so it gets full sometimes (good sign). I will say I did get a bit bored because there weren´t too many people around, or if there were they were in a group, so if you´re a solo traveller like I was you might want to take that into consideration. But that´s all luck of the draw I guess. But for good service and value, this is definitely a good hostel! Oh I will also mention, bring earplugs because the city is wicked loud-not their fault but if you don´t you might be miserable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Irma_Mabarak, Guest Relations Manager at Hostal Centro Historico Regina, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thanks for your kind comment, it was very nice to receive you. We feel very happy to know that you were able to take advantage of our location. With so many nearby museums and the Metro stations also close by, our Hostel is commonly a selected option for travelers that enjoy travelling in a more relaxed way. Also like you mention, our girls at the Front Desk gladly assist our guests in any doubt they might have and usually suggest a couple places to visit while they are at the Hostel. Maybe for your next visit you will be interested in hanging out on our common areas. Most of our guests enjoy relaxing and hanging out in these areas so we are sure you will end up making some new friends. Hope to see you again soon!

Been to Hostal Centro Historico Regina? Share your experiences!