“a bit disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #243 of 293 Hotels in Mexico City
New Jersey, USA
“a bit disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2007

I had read all the reviews here before booking this hotel, and chose it for the location and the free internet access in the room. During
my stay, the internet access worked on the first day, but then did not work for the rest of my (four night) stay. This was a major disappointment for me, as I had a lot of work to do online, so that biased me a bit against the Mision Reforma.

On the topic of internet, they have disconnected the hardwired Ethernet connections in the rooms, and the only available connection is wifi. Those rooms near the center (near the elevators) seem to get the best signal. If the internet is not working, I found free internet at a restaurant named VIP's nearby.

The business center of the hotel has a couple of internet terminals, but beyond that, it is pretty useless.

The location of the hotel is pretty good - it is on the Reforma right at the statue of Columbus (Colon). The walk to the nearest metro (Hidalgo station) is about 10 minutes - it is three (long) blocks. You can also take a "colectivo" bus along the Reforma for just a few pesos.

For me, one of the highlights was the shower! The water pressure was terrific and the temperature great. I find that important after a long flight.

The rooms are a bit dated, but large. My room had a strange 1970-era orange/blue combination. The rugs could use a good replacement, but I found the hotel to be clean and the accomodations very acceptable.
Television with the normal Mexican channels plus CNN. Refrigerator (for the mini-bar, but accessible) and safe included.

On my last night at the hotel, the air conditioning stopped working. I called the front desk, and was told that they would 'call maintenance' - this was the last I heard of it until I checked out the next morning and was told the entire hotel had no A/C that night. The windows do not open, so this was a bit unpleasant.

Overall, I wanted to like this hotel - the staff were generally pleasant, the location was generall OK, and the surrounding area was acceptable. But I really just was never totally satisfied with the hotel. Next time, I will look elsewhere.

• Liked — Great showers!
  • Disliked — Lack of working internet access.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2007

We stayed here for a week and found the hotel to be just fine.
It is centrally located and within walking distance of a lot of things you'd want to see in Mexico City. Despite being right on the Paseo it was not noisy, with double glazing and shutters on all windows. The room was large and clean and the shower worked well. There is a safe in each room which was big enough to take both laptops and all our paperwork! There is a business centre with free internet access on the ground floor. The 'restaurant' of the hotel is more of a cafe, but the food was good - freshly prepared to order - although of limited variety. There are several other places to eat within easy walking distance, or take a taxi to Maseryk in the Polenc district and you'll be spoilt for choice.

Watch out for the hotel porters hailing you a taxi - they have some arrangement going with unmetered taxis and you will pay more for your journey than if you hail a metered taxi. There are two choices, white with red stripes or little green VW beetles. Always check that they have a meter before getting in - and make sure they turn it on. The flag fee should be about 6 or 7 pesos. Only one taxi driver tried to start our journey with 27 pesos on the clock before we'd moved an inch!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2006

The worst experiance I´ve had in years.
The rooms are dirty, and what scared me was that there is prostitution in front of the hotel.
Hope this comment is usefull.

• Liked — Didn´t like the hotel
  • Disliked — The room was dirty and the area was un safe
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not go to this hotel
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2006

When I arrived I found out they had overbooked (but they were not telling me what was going on and were pretending that I never booked it!).
They finally put me in another nearby hotel (of a lesser category). The next day, as I was checking out from the other hotel, they wouldn't allow me to leave because Hotel Mision Reforma hadn't paid them!!!. There were quite a few people with the same problem.
I cannot stress enough how bad we were treated in the Hotel Mision Reforma. I would strongly recommend anyone to stay away from them!

• Tips/Secrets — Do not book there
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2006

I´ve just stayed in this hotel and it´s preatty much ok.

The room isn´t bad even though it´s too dark and the bathroom is smelly.

Internet in the room worked fine too.

I didn´t eat in the hotel, only breakfast and it was decent.

My company booked in the hotel since there was a convention going on in the city.

One of my colegues was robbed. Someone broke into his room in the night and took his credit cards, cell phones, money and even his wife snipers(!). When he complained in the front desk they said it was his fault because the room has a safe and he didn´t use it. I think it may be usual having the guests robbed over there.

If you can stay somewhere else, go for it.

• Tips/Secrets — watch your pockets
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2006

Having made my reservation for the hotel through Expedia, I arrived on December 25, 2005. Apparently, the two queen-sized beds in the hotel's listing were a misprint and my directions for an extra-clean room had not been read, and I was given a room different from the one described. When I walked in, I almost feinted: the once-white walls were smeared grey, brown, and black; there was dirt everywhere--on the floor, beds, and furniture; there was fecal matter all over the toilet and on the bathroom floor; one of the bed spreads was missing; and someone had obviously been sitting on one of the beds. The manager was exremely discourteous and refused to try to accommodate my family and me in any way, and actually accused me of making the mess, in spite of my having been in the room for only two minutes. I suddenly found myself walking through Mexico City on Christmas Day, searching for a different hotel. Luckily for me, I am fluent in Spanish, and I've been to Mexico City before; I don't even want to imagine how the circumstances might have been if I had not known my way around the city. In short, this was the worst hotel experience I've ever had in years of travel, and I would warn anyone tempted by the sub-$100 price to stay far away from this hotel. Expedia was nice enough to give me a coupon for a future reservation, but the memory of this experience still disgusts and angers me.

• Stayed December 2005
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2006

Nice, comfortable room, but bothered by street noise and light coming in through curtains that didn't close all the way. As in most of Mexico City, the food at the hotel was horrible! The staff offered friendly, helpful service, but I ordered breakfast from room service three days out of four and they got the order wrong all three times!! On the fourth day, I had breakfast in the restaurant and they got the order wrong again! Also, there was an extremely limited number of channels on the TV, none in English, not even CNN or BBC, but I'll admit it was kind of fun watching live NFL games dubbed over in Spanish by a couple guys watching them in a studio. Not really a bad experience, but I can't honestly recommend the place.

• Stayed January 2006

Been to Mision Zona Rosa Mexico City? Share your experiences!